Tested vs. Untested...

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
newtoham

Tested vs. Untested...

Post by newtoham »

As my handle says, I'm new to to ham radio. I need to sell a lot of equipment that belonged to an operator who past away. I don't know how to test the equipment, so I'm wondering if there's a huge difference between the price of tested and untested? All the equipment I need to sell was working 9 years ago when the operator past away, and since then it's been sitting in storage. I would love to be able to test the equipment and also learn about it before selling it. I live in the Ogden, Utah area. Do you think there's a ham radio operator who would be willing to help me out in testing the equipment? I could give him a good deal on some of the equipment for helping me, or I could just compensate him for his time. Thanks in advance for any info.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

What's the equipment that you want to test? Some additional information like the XYZ 234A would help.

To what extent will you test each piece of gear? Powered-up and didn't smoke? Used, operational but not to specifications?

Testing will take time. And it can be hazardous both to the equipment and to the tester. Go to a site like Universal and see what similar used gear sold for. Then see if your gear is complete - no missing components, obvious damage, etc.

Then decide if it's WORTH testing each piece.

Yes, testing may add some value to the buyer. But an inaccurate test can come back to haunt you.

THE LEAST SAID, THE BETTER.

N9LCD
newtoham

Post by newtoham »

I would like to test the equipment to make sure it's operational. A ham operator that lives near me was kind enough to help me test 4 pieces of equipment last night, but he wasn't able to help me test some of the equipment. The equipment that I still need to test includes 3 microphones and a Henry 3KD Premier LInear Amp. I was able to plug in the Henry Amp, and it did power on right away, and it lit up. The amp was bought in '93, and the original owner only used it a few times before he past away, so it's in mint condition without a scratch on it with all the books and the original receipt, but of course I would like to test it fully. The operator I spoke to last night though said that's an involved process and you have to have all the right connections. I appreciate your advice N9LCD. I'm realizing that testing out ham radio equipment is a complicated process. Thanks. 73