Ralphy Vegas - Radio or cash? What's it going to be????!!!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
julius summers

Ralphy Vegas - Radio or cash? What's it going to be????!!!

Post by julius summers »

Ralphy Vegas where is my radio or my cash????? $1750 you owe me.You took delivery of my radio (CONFIRMED BY FED EX) and then refused to pay the credit card company which resulted in Pay Pal charging my account for the $1750. I have contacted Pay Pal and given them the tracking numbers where you received the radio. FedEx has never contacted me concerning a claim nor have YOU ever attempted to contact me concerning either the description or the condition of the radio.
I suggest you rectify this issue ASAP as it is being investigated currently on several levels.
73, brother ham!
W5RIM
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

Ouch !

Did this happen through ebay ? If so you should have seller protection ?
K9XR

Why?

Post by K9XR »

Why did PayPal refund your payment back to him? Did he file a claim with PayPal or his credit card company? Did he file a "not as Described" or "not received" claim? If he did file a "not as described" claim with PayPal they should not have refunded his money until he could prove that it was received by you.
julius summers

This did not happen through ebay. Pay Pal

Post by julius summers »

WB6VHK wrote:Ouch !

Did this happen through ebay ? If so you should have seller protection ?
julius summers

not as described, but never notified me about anything,

Post by julius summers »

K9XR wrote:Why did PayPal refund your payment back to him? Did he file a claim with PayPal or his credit card company? Did he file a "not as Described" or "not received" claim? If he did file a "not as described" claim with PayPal they should not have refunded his money until he could prove that it was received by you.
W5AAT

RALPHY VEGAS RIPOFF VIA PAYPAL FOR $1750.00 ! STOLEN IC 775

Post by W5AAT »

I am familiar with the details of this transaction as Julius Summers (W5RIM) is a friend of mine who lives about 6 mi from me. I helped him test and pack his Icom 775DSP for shipment to Ralphy Vegas who represented himself as a member of the Rowland Heights Radio Club (CA) and was purchasing the radio for use by the club. The radio was easily a 9.5+ in appearance and was perfect electrically. It was shipped via FedEX to the club and was signed for by a Mr. VEGA! Delivery was confirmed. All seemed well, "Ralphy's" payment was processed via credit card through PayPal and the funds were released to Julius. Approximately 2 months later, a dispute was filed saying that the item was not as described! There was no communication from "Ralphy" about this issue and PayPal has of course decided to side with the credit card company and a chargeback was posted to Julius' PayPal account for $1750.00 without any effort being made to retrieve the merchandise from "Ralphy" prior to issuing the chargeback.
A few days after the radio arrived in California an ad was placed for a 775DSP in great condition with the same serial number prefix by another member of the Rowland Heights club. Could this be the same radio?? Who knows? If anyone knows a member of the Rowland Heights Radio Club contact W5RIM. PLEASE CALL IF YOU CAN HELP! 601-898-8067. He needs to start somewhere before the Rowland Heights Police Department or the Los Angeles County Sheriffs Dept get involved.
73, Todd WA5XX (ex W5AAT)
Last edited by W5AAT on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N8ERM

Ralphy Vegas

Post by N8ERM »

What is his amateur call?
W5AAT

Post by W5AAT »

Standby, Terry. More information is forthcoming. I just cannot understand how you can get a refund without returning the merchandise. I've done quite a bit of buying and selling and yes, even taken PayPal for a payment method. Never a problem. I think this guy got himself in over his head and panic set in, squeezing honesty out the window. Some people are inherently dishonest while others put themselves in situations where they are forced to make that difficult choice between the "quick fix" and facing the situation like a man would. We've all been there at one time or another.
I do think, however, that PayPal should change their policy so that a buyer cannot get a refund until the merchandise is returned and receipt is confirmed by the seller. QTH has been a great resource for me and this transaction has absolutely nothing to do with QTH's policies. If you want to deal on here or buy on here you MUST be honest. That's always been the ham's way. Just how much is your name and reputation worth?
Sorry to wax philosophic here. I'm very angry at what has transpired.
Todd /WA5XX
N8ERM

Call sign????

Post by N8ERM »

Without a call sign no one can help you?????
ke5oah

call sign??????

Post by ke5oah »

Hey Todd we need to know this guys call sign. Its shouldn't bother yall guys to post it? He just took your buddy for 1750 bucks. We don't want to get ripped off in the future by this guy.
kk9a

Callsign?

Post by kk9a »

qrz.com does not list any ham with the name Ralphy Vegas or Ralph Vegas.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

What's this guy's name?

Vega (as spelled in one place)?

Vegas?

Or, VARGAS?

I did a FCC "advanced license search" on Vargas and came up with a 169 hits?

Do a little digging there and you might come up with a lead.

N9LCD
ke5oah

madison,ms

Post by ke5oah »

I just remembered about a yr ago i shipped a dual band to madison,ms to a guy and he tried to rip me off by saying i shipped him a totally busted radio and the box had no damage. He wanted me to ship him his money back and "then" he would send the radio back. He refused to send me pics of the radio and box. I honestly forgot his call,but i have it somewhere around here wrote down.
W5AAT

Post by W5AAT »

Stay tuned, gentlemen. A final decision is now supposedly being negotiated between PayPal and the relevant credit card issuer. We will learn the fate of both Mr. Summer's radio and his hard - earned cash as well as the integrity of the involved ham and PayPal. We will reveal the results as well as all of the facts(as we know them) at that time.
If you would like to investigate a little on your own, here is the FedEx tracking number: 468703615094630. Notice who signed for the package and the date of delivery. Next, run a Google search on Rowland Heights Radio Club and within the related listings you will find a QRZ ad for a Icom 775 DSP. Read the ad. Note the date. The serial number prefix is the same as the one delivered AND he wouldn't take PayPal! Next you can check W5RIM'S feedback on this forum and draw your own conclusions.
Todd / WA5XX
N8ERM

Rowland Heights Radio Club

Post by N8ERM »

Joe Vega NE6V is the president of the club as per his QRZ page, You might contact him for help?: He might know Mr. Ralphy Vegas

NE6V USA
JOSEPH VEGA, NE6V
1604 SOUTH ETHEL AVE
ALHAMBRA, CA 91803
USA

I've volunteered over the past three years here.
Past Vice-President Southern California Amateur Transmitting Society
Past ARRL LAX-Section Affiliated Club Coordinator
Currently I volunteer here
National Public Safety Telecommunications Committee
President Rowland Heights Radio Club
U S Army MARS Station AAR9CD
City of Alhambra C.E.R.T
Some of my favorite web sites
West Coast RF
NE6V website
Koi fish and ponds
Learn about CLOUD COMPUTING
Last edited by N8ERM on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?35 ... highlight=

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?34 ... highlight=

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?34 ... highlight=

Took him a long time to sell it.....Then he broke it...... My try contacting the person who emailed him about the broken radio AC6A. He lives 35 miles away.

Maybe he has the rig.... and maybe he can help you.
Steve - KA9MOT
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Not saying it is but is it possible Ralphy Vegas is a alias.?
Larry Huff K0pd
W5AAT

Post by W5AAT »

Seems mighty strange, doesn't it?
W5AAT

Potential Break in Case!!

Post by W5AAT »

Yesterday, JP Summers received a phone call from a ham in Southern California who received an Icom 775 that was shipped in the original box that was sent by JP. The tracking numbers match his receipt from FedEx! PayPal has been given this amateur's name, address and phone number (at his request) and is continuing their inquiry. Hats off to this good spirited,honest amateur! We will reveal his name and callsign after this matter has been resolved., if he so desires.We are being cautious for both legal reasons and the possibility of retaliation in some form or another.
As of this morning this latest info has been sent to PayPal's fraud division. We shall see what develops.Justice may yet prevail!
Todd / WA5XX
kk9a

Vague

Post by kk9a »

I thought that the purpose of feedback forum is indicate who are good and bad people to do business with. W5RIM's post is very vague. It does not say what item he sold or what the buyer's callsign is. He did list the buyers name as Ralphy Vegas which I cannot find in the FCC database. What is the buyer's email and physical address? What is the reason PayPal gave for taking the money out of your account?
W5AAT

Everyone else seems to get it......

Post by W5AAT »

There is nothing vague or hard to understand here. READ THE ENTIRE POST!
The item sold and the circumstances are quite evident. The names have been withheld to protect the presumed innocent parties. (For now!) All will come out in the end. One other purpose of this forum is to help fellow hams who have been victimized by unscrupulous users of QTH Classifieds.
In this regard, we have been helped greatly by someone who had the (vulgar word removed by QTH) to step forward and lend credible evidence relative to the misdeed. So, I would say that our usage of this forum has been both proper and productive. No gratuitous finger pointing to drool over. And that's the way it is. Thank you for your insight.
Todd
k4kk

Re: Rowland Heights Radio Club

Post by k4kk »

N8ERM wrote:Joe Vega NE6V is the president of the club as per his QRZ page, You might contact him for help?: He might know Mr. Ralphy Vegas

NE6V USA
JOSEPH VEGA, NE6V
1604 SOUTH ETHEL AVE
ALHAMBRA, CA 91803
USA

I've volunteered over the past three years here.
Past Vice-President Southern California Amateur Transmitting Society
Past ARRL LAX-Section Affiliated Club Coordinator
Currently I volunteer here
National Public Safety Telecommunications Committee
President Rowland Heights Radio Club
U S Army MARS Station AAR9CD
City of Alhambra C.E.R.T
Some of my favorite web sites
West Coast RF
NE6V website
Koi fish and ponds
Learn about CLOUD COMPUTING
Do a search on him here. Interesting stuff...
W5AAT

Post by W5AAT »

Yes, he might know "Ralphy". Might know him very well indeed!
Todd
W3RXO

WHOA, there, folks!

Post by W3RXO »

Tossing out a man's name, as being potentially associated with a fraud, is opening yourselves up to some liability. I'd be cautious about mentioning Joe's name and call sign, until more is KNOWN.
I have dealt with Joe, and had QSO with him on air, on a few occasions. I found him to be a VERY honest, straight forward, ham. We are not friends, and I have met him only once (bought some hard line from him). But, I live near him, and his reputation is pretty good in these parts. I would be VERY hesitant, to think he would be knowingly involved in a scam.
PLEASE post full information on this scam, when it is all said and done. I want to see Joe's name cleared in this. I would be VERY surprised, if he were knowingly involved in this scam. I guess it is possible, but we ought not be tossing his name out there, until we know, for sure.
If you don't love it leave it. Let this...be your warning, when you're running down my country man, you're walking on the fighting side of me.
Merle Haggard
ne6v

Wait a minute!

Post by ne6v »

The 775dsp was sold to my father whom bought it as a gift for our radio club. Upon inspection and attempted operation of the radio, it was discovered NOT TO WORK. It didn't even power up! The club advised my father of the details, my father attempted direct contact with the seller. After several days of no response from the seller my father filed a dispute directly with Citibank his credit card issuer and followed the CC company's procedures.(my father was correct in contacting the credit card issuer directly as it is his right.)

I must add a few other facts:

Upon discovery of the not working and unusable radio my father attempted to contact the seller directly. The attempts were made to an email address and calls were made to his(the sellers) cell phone. At least 2 Voice messages, that I'm aware of were left. To date and until this forum thread the seller has NOT replied to the emails or voice messages.

Keep in mind this transaction took place several months ago. Citibank advised my father that the matter was resolved. My father asked what to do with this nonworking item. Citibank in part stated, "...as you wish."

My father then advised the club to dispose of the radio if we could.

The club decided to post it as a NON-WORKING radio as IT WAS.

After the sale, I was advised by the buyer that the finals were blown! Further evidence that the original seller SCAMMED my father! To blow the finals the radio must turn on, IT NEVER TURNED ON UPON DELIVERY.

The seller should have disclosed the TRUE CONDITION OF THE RADIO FOR SALE, he chose NOT TO.

The seller should have replied to emails and voice messages regarding the non-operating radio he sold...Again he chose NOT TO.

I believe the dispute was opened in April or May...Not until July 5 did the seller try to resolve the matter...and not directly but rather here in this FORUM.

The seller in this case was the scam-mer completely. He knew the radio didn't work. Finals do not blow in transit!

The club will gladly forward to the seller 100% of money from the sale of the non-working radio.

I have the email and the cell phone number of the buyer and the seller can contact him directly to confirm receipt of the radio, in non-working condition and how much he paid for it.

At that time we we purchase a Postal Money order and send it to the seller.

Any thing further regarding this matter needs to be resolved between my father, the seller and the credit card companies directly.

I will contact this websites owner regarding this forum and why he is allowing false and damaging statements Tobe posted regarding myself.

Additionally, the seller knew the radio was for a club. Never was any attempt to commit fraud or misrepresent whom the buyer was and for whom the radio was for made.

Again, this dispute is between the seller and my father.

In an attempt to promote goodness and respect for our fellow ham; the Rowland Heights Radio Club, will gladly give the seller 100% of the proceeds from the sale of the nonworking radio. Not because we have to, but we will, to resolve this matter and to keep our Name OUT of any further negative comments.

Respectively Submitted,

J.Vega
President and Trustee of KI6TRI
The Rowland Heights Radio Club.