KF6SIP John Ortiz & KG6YSB Debra Collins - Scammed me

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

KF6SIP John Ortiz & KG6YSB Debra Collins - Scammed me

Post by KA9FOX »

Boy, that's two times in the last month where I tried to help someone out that misdirected something to me, and I got burned. This one really hurt.

1) John Ortiz KF6SIP of Sacramento, CA sent me a Money Gram Money Order for $350 by mistake. This happens sometimes... people see my callsign on the classified website and send me things instead of to the real buyer or seller. Not often, but it happens.

2) I contacted John to let him know of problem, using the email listed at QRZ.com.

3) Debra Collins KG6YSB responds to my email, says that she is John's "caretaker" and that I should mail the money order back. Later I get an email from John that confirms it's OK to send it back to Debra.

4) A week later I get another email from Debra, saying that they received the MO I sent back to them, but because the MO is made out to me, they can't cash it. She asks if she can send it back to me, have me deposit it, and send her a check for $300, keeping $50 as a donation to QTH.com. I say that is too much, but agree to $25 for the hassle. I mail the check, and it's received May 3.

5) I usually visit the bank about once a month, to make deposits, etc. Brought the MO to my bank and deposited a couple weeks ago (June 8)

6) Guess what I get for my trouble? A letter from my bank saying that there was a "stop payment" applied to the Money Order!!! They took back the $350 from my account, and dinged me another $12 in fees.

At this point, since I waited so long to deposit the MO, I can't do a stop payment on MY check, so I'm out the $337. And, of course, now neither John or Debra are answering my emails.

Once again, no good deed goes unpunished!

Live and learn... sadly, it will change how I help people out in these scenarios in the future. The good news is that people do pay for these things, one way or another... if not in this life, in the next one.

Be careful out there.

73 - Scott KA9FOX
Last edited by KA9FOX on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

Some people don't deserve to share the atmosphere. We have found 2 more such examples.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I find it disgusting that people like these exist. Your right Scott there just reward still awaits them.
Larry Huff K0pd
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

Ouch, that sucks Scott, I will drop you a line which may help?
aj4hk

money orders

Post by aj4hk »

Scott, I was going to buy a radio, and sent a Postal mo to the person.
The deal fell thru and they sent me my Postal mo back, with out cashing.
I took it to the Post office and I had no problem cashing it.
This person who scammed you, New what the y were doing.
Because they could have taken it to where the purchased it, and cashed it there.
Dennis
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Hi Dennis. This was a "Money Gram Money Order" and not from the Post Office. I do not know what their policy is. But there was nothing on the MO that indicated who it was FROM. If they allowed anyone to walk in and cash any MO that had anybody's name on the TO part... well, that would be a bad security policy.

- Scott
k5yy

Post by k5yy »

Scott.. Sorry that happened to you. As I was reading your account of what happened, my mind was racing forward in anticipation of just what was going to happen, and I was 'right on' in my guestimate of what the ending would be . Their process was well thought out, and all sounded up and up, arousing no fear on your part, AND you and the Forum have always sniffed out things like this and how to avoid scams. This one was a doozie for sure and thanks for sharing. I will be sending you a MO tomorrow! hi hi
San K5YY
GALAXY67

RIPPED OFF

Post by GALAXY67 »

There always seems to be a new twist to these scams,I lost $500 about 10 years ago when these were just getting up and runing,I went to the police,they investigated person,all in all,at the end,the police actually told me they felt sorry for the SINGLE MOTHER left holding the bag(M O IN HER NAME) as she said old boyfriend put her up to it,he skipped town,nobody was ever prosecuted or charged,police told me "they had bigger people to go after" that was 10 years ago,maybe things have changed as far as prosecution goes
BOB WN8BOB
K4TEC

Re: RIPPED OFF

Post by K4TEC »

GALAXY67 wrote:There always seems to be a new twist to these scams,I lost $500 about 10 years ago when these were just getting up and runing,I went to the police,they investigated person,all in all,at the end,the police actually told me they felt sorry for the SINGLE MOTHER left holding the bag(M O IN HER NAME) as she said old boyfriend put her up to it,he skipped town,nobody was ever prosecuted or charged,police told me "they had bigger people to go after" that was 10 years ago,maybe things have changed as far as prosecution goes
BOB WN8BOB
Bob I had the exact same thing happen, police went to see the lady and they told me she had nothing and the exact same story, she was in TN working in a store, lost $3500 to her