K4TEC

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
NM7L

Post by NM7L »

Scott,

Allow me to throw in my 2 cents on this thread. I was the last to comment on the "R4RT" debacle, in that I posted that "this thread needs to die" since it obviously got so convoluted and way off-topic. This thread is heading down the same path.

Here's a thought to prevent further "topic creep": on QRZ.com, their "Cheers & Jeers" section allows only the initial post to either praise or condemn an individual. Perhaps your site should adopt a similar stance in the "Feedback Forum"; otherwise threads in this forum, albeit started with the best intents, will continue to be promulgated with a select few's "opinions" (& I don't need to elaborate on that...)

Mark (NM7L)
"These floors are dirty as hell...and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"
- Stanley Spudowski
U-62 Custodial Lead
AA6ZE

Post by AA6ZE »

It comes down to creditability. Do you believe someone with a long history of bad feedback and dubious behavior, or an unknown with legitimate sounding complaint? Radiomart has a history of misrepresenting equipment and making the buyer foot the bill for shipping both ways if he's not happy. In the case of a foreign ham the cost can be very high. When it comes down to it all we have is our reputations to fall back on.

And one of my posts was not off topic. You simply didn't want to hear it.
Last edited by AA6ZE on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

NM7L wrote:Here's a thought to prevent further "topic creep": on QRZ.com, their "Cheers & Jeers" section allows only the initial post to either praise or condemn an individual. Perhaps your site should adopt a similar stance in the "Feedback Forum"; otherwise threads in this forum, albeit started with the best intents, will continue to be promulgated with a select few's "opinions" (& I don't need to elaborate on that...)
Thanks, Mark. That is exactly where we are headed. Not soon enough, as you can see. :-(

- Scott KA9FOX
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

AA6ZE wrote:It comes down to creditability. Do you believe someone with a long history of bad feedback and dubious behavior, or an unknown with legitimate sounding complaint? Radiomart has a history of misrepresenting equipment and making the buyer foot the bill for shipping both ways if he's not happy. In the case of a foreign ham the cost can be very high. When it comes down to it all we have is our reputations to fall back on.
I can assure you that if it is warranted, I will have absolutely NO problem blocking K4TEC, if he does not take good care of those buying from him on QTH.com.

Most of you do not appreciate the hours I spend each month trying to help users that have been deceived... or feel that they have been deceived. It takes a lot of time to understand the complaint, try to get the other side, try to help mediate if that is possible, and sometimes do the work to try to block those that aren't taking care of those they are doing transactions with. Not to mention the efforts in the background to thwart the scammers (usually overseas).

K4TEC has to live by the same set of criteria I would apply to any other user. If you don't take care of those you are doing transactions with here on QTH.com, you WILL get the boot.

- Scott KA9FOX
AA6ZE

Post by AA6ZE »

Thanks for the clarification. And I do appreciate the services you provide here for fellow hams.73
K9XR

Re: Complaints

Post by K9XR »

Scott,

Just to clarify things a little. I am pretty sure that R4RT bought from Martyn from this site. I don't think he is allowed to selll on Eham and I don't think he would have "5 IC7000s to choose from" on Eham.

The reason that R4RT wanted $350 back was ONLY to cover his cost of the postage. Normally you have to pay Return shipping but in the case of a radio that was "not as described" (the speaker was not his only complaint) he thought that he was misled and was asking for everything that he had invested refunded. I don't think that is too much to ask in a case like this.

R4RT also stated that he did not need and did not ask Martyn to lower the Customs value.

I also believe that the hams that are commenting are not meaning to discredit or don't like the site. On the contrary, we do like the site and want to see it retain it's integrity.

KA9FOX wrote:
w8jn wrote:Scott,
The sheer number of complaints by different users surely sends up a red flag.
Paul w8jn
OK, we have R4RT.... who bought something on eHam from K4TEC (not QTH.com). But still, I will listen to this... I heard R4RT's side, I heard K4TEC's side... sold a perfectly good working IC-7000 to a Russian, he claimed the internal speaker was not good, he wanted $350 off the price or he would make trouble, he also asked I put a low value on the customs form to avoid as much tax, so I said just return it and pointed out our return policy (this is after he had it 3 months and I offered him $100 off the price so he can go get a $10 speaker)... at this point, knowing that this wasn't on QTH... complaint came in 3 months after arrival... and the fact that the offer to return was out there... I did not think this was worthy of blocking.

Who has had a transaction on QTH.com and now feels like they have been defrauded?

- Scott KA9FOX
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

On March 2, 2012, R4RT posted on eHam.net "I bought on this site an IC-7000 transceiver,..." and on the same posting he stated that the postage both ways "cost me US$185.41" (not $350).

I really don't mean for this to get into the R4RT problem. I am posting here to clear up why I am still allowing K4TEC to trade here. I do not have enough information regarding problematic transactions ON QTH.com to cause me to block.

- Scott KA9FOX
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

With all due respect to everyone, please stop bitchin' about the way things are run around here. Where else can you buy and sell without any fees and with the traffic this site has on a daily basis? Damn, nobody is forcing you to stay here, so if you don't like this place, then please take your marbles and go home...

I certainly would not want to lose this site due to the owner getting fed up with all the nonsense and complaints. I have seen this happen to a few sites, mainly forums, and it really would be a shame that the words of a few caused the demise for many...

I am done with my rant... :P
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

W4LTD i do not think those complaining are so much as upset with Scott as they are frustrated for what ever there reasoning is. I find Scott to be a more than a fair person and i can understand his reasoniong for how he runs and makes decisions on his site. But telling people who obviously care, and are expressing there opinions to take there marbles and go home is not right either. No one has to agree with them nor even like them. But saying leave if you do not like it sends a message to me that the person saying that is in reality not a whole lot different than those complaining, only that your saying i do not like your opinion so just leave.Even Scott has not yet gone that far and he has the actual right to say that. I remember a boss telling someone i worked with who complained a lot about the customers and the job. When my boss was approached about it his answer was simply if he did not care he would be saying nothing right. Those who complained had no come back.
Larry Huff K0pd
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

Scott:

As far as I can tell, K4TEC / Radio-Mart does not even sell through your site at all ? I am under the impression that he sells direct through his web site.

So what is the point in all this ? Honestly, it seems to me that every single time someone has complained to you about radio-mart you have gone out of your way and bent over backwards to take Martyn's side.

Example:

This is a partial "cut and paste" from a PM you sent me several months ago:

Scott:

I think I understand. You don't care where else he did it, as long as he does not do it on your site.

No, I just don't care about alleged eBay shill bidding. Nobody got "ripped off" because of it. Anyone that bid, bid knowing they could pay up to the amount they bid. There are no victims here, even if he's guilty of it.

You said within the last year ....Here you go: http://www.vk4adc.com/web/index.php/cav ... omart.html

Right... have you read this whole thing? The guy got the radio, thought there might be something wrong with it, and rather than arrange for a return, he paid a tech to work on it and fix it. What's Martyn supposed to do about that?

Plus this was from July 2010, so not anywhere near the ~ year he's been on QTH.

I honestly don't think you could be more "one sided".

Who cares about shill bidding on ebay ? It happens to be against the law, not to mention it is cheating and immoral, but hey, it's not on your site so who cares, right ?

Who cares about the guy in Australia who would have been out shipping both ways had he not just went ahead and had the radio repaired himself ?

Who cares about R4RT ?

You told everyone in one of your above posts to "have some common sense" ...Let me tell you, I don't think it takes all that much to figure this one out.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

WB6VHK wrote:As far as I can tell, K4TEC / Radio-Mart does not even sell through your site at all ?
A simple search for K4TEC on http://swap.qth.com shows 6 ads on the site right now: http://swap.qth.com/search-results.php? ... earch=Call
WB6VHK wrote: I am under the impression that he sells direct through his web site.
Yes, that is true also, via his site at http://www.radio-mart.net.
WB6VHK wrote:So what is the point in all this ? Honestly, it seems to me that every single time someone has complained to you about radio-mart you have gone out of your way and bent over backwards to take Martyn's side.
I disagree. I look for the "other side" of the story, so that I can make an informed decision. The USA really is a magnificent country, isn't it?
WB6VHK wrote:Example: (all snipped for brevity)
I stand by what I wrote in our private communication. It is not my job to police shill bidding on eBay. I am only interested in protecting the users of QTH.com. Have any of them been hurt by K4TEC? I would like to know. Please contact me.

- Scott KA9FOX
ke5oah

KA9FOX

Post by ke5oah »

I do know you have mediated several deals and tried to resolve problems for buyers and sellers alike. I can imagine the grief and stress that puts on you.I take my hat off to you for taking the time and effort to do that.
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

Scott:

I find it interesting how you just can't seem to understand how your readers might get the impression of your bias towards K4TEC / Radio-mart.

1) Almost every time in recent memory someone has posted something negative about "radio-mart" it is removed, very quickly I might add.

2) R4RT. This poor guys whole thread was removed. Only after complaints of what happened was it restored .....sort of.

Then, when several readers publicly ask if this might be because K4TEC is a paid advertiser you tell them all ( with great indignation ) to "get some common sense" and "stop the garbage" , etc.....How dare they get this impression ?

Frankly I can't see how one might be reading these recent threads and NOT get this impression.

In this whole thread so far you have not even acknowledged someone else might have a hint of a valid point.

In one of your above posts you say that you "like to read both sides of the story" but in regards to the VK4 link :
http://www.vk4adc.com/web/index.php/cav ... omart.html

you told me " the guy thought he had a problem" .....This gives me the impression you never even bothered to read the thread. ( I would be interested for others to read this thread and see if you come to the same conclusion ) Even though this was a while ago I am just holding this out as an example.

You will notice that I have never accused you of giving any preferential treatment to radio-mart because he is a paid advertiser on this site but I can sure see how others might get this impression. You don't sound like radio-marts friend, you sound like his attorney .

What I did tell you was that I would NEVER buy anything through your site or bother to read any of your banners as long as you allow Radio-mart to be here...and I meant it.

We will see how long this thread stays up.
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

WB6VHK wrote: I find it interesting how you just can't seem to understand how your readers might get the impression of your bias towards K4TEC / Radio-mart.
Not all readers get this impression.
WB6VHK wrote:
What I did tell you was that I would NEVER buy anything through your site or bother to read any of your banners as long as you allow Radio-mart to be here...and I meant it.
Do you really think it's going to affect this website if you don't buy anything?
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

I am locking this topic, and have removed a recent post that has strayed way off the topic at hand.

Further, I am asking that WB6VHK and K4TEC not post about each other, as they have not had a transaction between them, and I believe everything that they have had to say about each other has been said already in this forum.

I would like for all to reacquaint themselves with the simple rules of this forum at http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=136

73 - Scott KA9FOX