Now hear this !!! K6BV - Tony Dowler bad bad seller

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
tjila

Now hear this !!! K6BV - Tony Dowler bad bad seller

Post by tjila »

Don't risk your money with this guy. He just does not know how to package radio gear and could care less about the out come. I paid $300.00 and 15.00 to ship a Vibroplex Deluxe dual key in "new conditon". I got it literally in pieces due to his poor packaging. He says I didn't pay enough to double box it or to buy insurance. He says go take it up with the post office and walks on the deal. I'm stuck with the Vibroplex kit. Anyone like radio kit building?? Order up a radio from Tony K6BV. :evil: :evil: :evil:
tjila

Post by tjila »

He is just not an honorable seller. I don't think he is a scammer. There is evidence inside the box that the key smack the sides hard enough to break the inside surface of the cardboard. No doubt in my mine the deed was done by post office workers. BUT, the responsibility was Tony's to pack it good enough to get it to me safely. He chose not to help at all even though the fault was mostly his. Telling me I should have paid for more packing and insurance was just a middle finger in the face to me. So my mission will be to warn all buyers who care to avoid this wanna be ham.
rsdx390

Post by rsdx390 »

Sorry to hear about your bad deal. I agree... that's a very sad excuse. It is always the responsibility of the seller to pack and ship items securely. No exceptions.

Contact the Internet Fraud Complaint Center:

www.ic3.gov

The key you received is significantly not as described, so it's a valid complaint with them. They do take this stuff seriously and will investigate.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

rsdx390 Is absolutely correct that the seller is responsible to see that the packaging is sufficient. By the way the insurance that is bought by the seller whether you paid him to buy it or not is the only one who recieves the settlement unless the USPS works there's differently than UPS.FED X does.
Larry Huff K0pd
tjila

Post by tjila »

Larry
Exactly. Stands to reason, the shipper is the customer not the person receiving shipment normally. The only exception is when the recipient calls the shipper to have an item picked up and delivered to them. Bottom line is whoever pays the shipper is the customer and is the only one that can file a claim. Tony was too dense to understand that. Telling me to cry to the post office is the same as saying "talk to the hand". Been down that road. Their first question is do you still have the box? Yes. Sorry, damage was due to poor packaging, no claim........next?

Come to think of it, I don't understand how the post office loses money, I've never heard of them paying a damage claim.
rsdx390

Post by rsdx390 »

I know you're trying to go about this nicely and trying to be fair with the seller... but sometimes you've got to play hardball to wake people up. Unfortunately this is one of those instances.

I'd contact this seller one last time and tell them all you know is you received something significantly not as described and will be returning the item for a timely full refund and if that does not occur you will be filing a report with your local police for fraud and a fraud report with the USPS.

Save all communications from this seller and submit it as evidence for the reports you may eventually need to file.

Nobody likes to hear their name and "police" associated together.

I know that's harsh... but you have $300 on the line which I consider to be LOTS of money. If you ever want to see it again, you need to stand up for what is yours.
tjila

Post by tjila »

rsdx390

I've never been one to push much i guess. I've been licensed now for forty years and it's been rare that anything like this has ever happened. It's more a disappointment than anger I feel. Personal honor is a passing fad I'm afraid. I'd expect that from someone younger but not from an OT like Tony Dowler. He's even a club prez in San Francisco. A real disappointment.

I have parts on order to do the repair myself so it won't be too bad a hit.
Tom Jue, WB5JHY
rsdx390

Post by rsdx390 »

Understood. Good luck to you!
tjila wrote:rsdx390

I've never been one to push much i guess.
ke5oah

Cheap hams

Post by ke5oah »

Yes i agree with going the extra mile shipping. The last radio i shipped,i spent a hour cutting out inserts to totally suspend a ts 430 inside the box. I always do tracking numbers and confromation numbers when i ship something. I know alot of hams are"CHEAP" and don't insure or get a tracking number of any kind. I've had alot of experince with "CHEAP" hams!
k6bv

Reply from seller

Post by k6bv »

Before you continue with bad assumptions hear the other side of the story.
As a 100 percent rated eBay seller and seller on Craigslist I know how to package an item as delicate as a Vibroplex. This gentlemans complaint is the first that I have ever received. I package and ship according to a buyer wish and at no time did he request insurance. I had no control over how the Post Office handled the package. For all I know the buyer could have dropped the
key out of the box and had buyer remorse. I offered to work with him and
got an email filled with biggoted remarks for my time.
K6BV
KA9MOT

Re: Reply from seller

Post by KA9MOT »

k6bv wrote:Before you continue with bad assumptions hear the other side of the story.
As a 100 percent rated eBay seller and seller on Craigslist I know how to package an item as delicate as a Vibroplex. This gentlemans complaint is the first that I have ever received. I package and ship according to a buyer wish and at no time did he request insurance. I had no control over how the Post Office handled the package. For all I know the buyer could have dropped the
K6BV
Your ebay reputation carries no weight here. Craigslist? Oh I get it, that was a joke...

As the seller of the item it is your responsibility to make sure it is packed securely and shipped quickly. You are on the hook for any damaged caused by shipping or your poor packing. As the seller you should always pay for insurance. The insurance is for your protection, not the buyers.
Steve - KA9MOT
ke5oah

Re: Reply from seller

Post by ke5oah »

k6bv wrote:Before you continue with bad assumptions hear the other side of the story.
K6BV
If you have that kinda of rating on ebay,etc. Then you should have insured the item reguardless if the buyer wanted it insured or not. Anything i sell over 100.00 is insured reguardless.But i can see that you were concered about saving that 2.00 or 3.00 on insurance instead of protecting your reputation as a seller. BEING CHEAP DON'T ALWAYS PAY OFF.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

K6BV Tony Dowler you may have a 100% rating on E Bay and craigs list but you will forever have at least one bad report here on QTH. By the way once again you buy insurance to protect your self from shipping accidents. Since you chose not to do so your on the hook to make right on the Key you sold and shipped.
Larry Huff K0pd
ke5oah

Post by ke5oah »

k0pd wrote:K6BV Tony Dowler you may have a 100% rating on E Bay and craigs list but you will forever have at least one bad report here on QTH. By the way once again you buy insurance to protect your self from shipping accidents. Since you chose not to do so your on the hook to make right on the Key you sold and shipped.
Thats my point exactly! The insurance is to protect the seller as well as the buyer. I know you may ship 150 things and no damage,but there is that chance that it can happen. I learned my lesson about 6mo ago. I shipped a radio to a guy and he said it was broke and was totally busted up. I didn't insure it,and he didn't ask for it to be insured. He claimed that i shipped it broke. He was trying to scam me simplely. So i told him to send pics of the box and radio. I was going to refund his money. Everytime i asked him for the pics he would change the subject. About 3days went on and he never sent me any pics.I asked him several times for them and he was talking to me on a camera phone,so i told him to take a hike on the refund. That was my lesson. Now i insure almost everything myself reguardless. The only reason he hadden't been on here spewing is that he was trying to run a scam and he don't want to bring attention to himself.
kd8rhy

Post by kd8rhy »

k0pd wrote:K6BV Tony Dowler you may have a 100% rating on E Bay and craigs list but you will forever have at least one bad report here on QTH. By the way once again you buy insurance to protect your self from shipping accidents. Since you chose not to do so your on the hook to make right on the Key you sold and shipped.
You sir are correct. Its the sellers responsibility to insure item makes it to the buyer as described.
I sold a high dollar Browning BSS and slipped up and forgot the insurance, I have sold LOTS of firearms online and this one got passed me. Needless to say the butt stock got cracked in the shipping and I paid the fellow 250.00 for another stock and offered to take it back with full refund and shipping cost but he decided to repair. ALWAYS insure high $ items. :cry: Lesson learned..
K4ICL

Seller Shipping Responsibility

Post by K4ICL »

If the deal includes having the seller ship the item to the buyer, the following apply.

1. It is the seller's responsibility to insure all aspects of doing his shipping duty are done correctly.

2. The seller assumes full responsibility for getting the item from his possession to the buyer in the same condition as it was in when in, prior to shipment.

3. The seller must be sure the item is properly packed for shipment whether he does the packing himself or has it done by another.

4. The seller is responsible for making all arrangements with a carrier of the buyer's choice.

5. Since the seller is responsible for getting the item to the customer, undamaged and in the same condition as when shipped, the seller should ALWAYS see to it the item is fully insured against loss or shipping damage.

6. Unless the deal includes seller footing all shipping costs, the seller should charge the buyer for all actual cost involved, including all packing costs, carrier fees, any agreed to storage fees, shipping insurance, docking fees, if any, and pick up fees if any. Note: The seller's responsibilities are the same, regardless who has agreed to pay for shipping!

7. The seller should ship the item only after all due payments are received from the buyer, and verified, including all shipping and packing fees.

8. The seller is responsible for keeping his customer continually informed of the status of the shipment. This includes providing tracking numbers and copies of receipts, as needed.

9. Should the be ANY issue with the shipment of the item, the seller is responsible for any and all support needed by the seller to assure he has totally met his obligation to get the item to the buyer in the condition it was in before shipment.

10. The seller's shipping obligation ends when the buyer reports back the the seller that the item as received and the buyer is satisfied with the condition it is in upon reception.
kd8rhy

Re: Seller Shipping Responsibility

Post by kd8rhy »

K4ICL wrote:If the deal includes having the seller ship the item to the buyer, the following apply.

1. It is the seller's responsibility to insure all aspects of doing his shipping duty are done correctly.

2. The seller assumes full responsibility for getting the item from his possession to the buyer in the same condition as it was in when in, prior to shipment.

3. The seller must be sure the item is properly packed for shipment whether he does the packing himself or has it done by another.

4. The seller is responsible for making all arrangements with a carrier of the buyer's choice.

5. Since the seller is responsible for getting the item to the customer, undamaged and in the same condition as when shipped, the seller should ALWAYS see to it the item is fully insured against loss or shipping damage.

6. Unless the deal includes seller footing all shipping costs, the seller should charge the buyer for all actual cost involved, including all packing costs, carrier fees, any agreed to storage fees, shipping insurance, docking fees, if any, and pick up fees if any. Note: The seller's responsibilities are the same, regardless who has agreed to pay for shipping!

7. The seller should ship the item only after all due payments are received from the buyer, and verified, including all shipping and packing fees.

8. The seller is responsible for keeping his customer continually informed of the status of the shipment. This includes providing tracking numbers and copies of receipts, as needed.

9. Should the be ANY issue with the shipment of the item, the seller is responsible for any and all support needed by the seller to assure he has totally met his obligation to get the item to the buyer in the condition it was in before shipment.

10. The seller's shipping obligation ends when the buyer reports back to the seller that the item is received and the buyer is satisfied with the condition it is in upon reception.
Thumbs UP!! :!:
ke5oah

Re: Seller Shipping Responsibility

Post by ke5oah »

kd8rhy wrote:
K4ICL wrote:If the deal includes having the seller ship the item to the buyer, the following apply.

10. The seller's shipping obligation ends when the buyer reports back the the seller that the item as received and the buyer is satisfied with the condition it is in upon reception.
Thumbs UP!! :!:
Thats how it should be. But not everyone on this site operates the right way. Some hams on here take pride in selling and making sure that you get your item quick and in good shape. But most on this site pack poorly and ship as cheap as possible.
K4ICL

Notice

Post by K4ICL »

When comments about the postings of others "go personal" they are no longer "on topic". All off-topic postings, i.e. postings which are NOT DIRECTLY related to the main topic, are deleted. See the posted rules at the top of the this forum.

Simple rule: Keep on topic.

K4ICL
w0bkr

Can't imagine...

Post by w0bkr »

Can't imagine if you value your gear why you wouldn't insure it regardless...usually, shipping charges posed to the Buyer does include what the insurance is, and for that small of an item, and that value, I would insure, regardless....
tjila

Wow, Tony showed his face.

Post by tjila »

Hadn't read the feedbacks for a few days. Surprised to see Tony made a comment here. The remarks I made to him were just the facts. I could really be pointed and post his actual replies to me. I still have all the emails.
It pleases me to know that Tony has now read the feedback that I promised I would post if the situation was not resolved satisfactorily. It's comforting to know that most on this forum site still have an innate sense of right and wrong. I call it personal honor. You know,......do unto others....
Tom Jue, WB5JHY