RE: Moved: SCAMMER - BEWARE : K4TEC , Mr. Allison

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N6YM

RE: Moved: SCAMMER - BEWARE : K4TEC , Mr. Allison

Post by N6YM »

I can see the title of a topic listed as
" Moved: SCAMMER - BEWARE : K4TEC , Mr. Allison".
And if I am not logged in to QTH.com and click on the topic I am told that I need to log in.

I log in and click on the topic and am now told that the topic no longer exists.

What's going on?? Has this topic been deleted??

73 Ed N6YM
Last edited by N6YM on Sat May 05, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ke5oah

topic gone

Post by ke5oah »

It shure looks like the case is closed and the jury was run out of town!lol
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

It was moved .....Under the rug.
K9XR

Must have been requested.

Post by K9XR »

According to the sticky on this forum about deleting posts it can only be deleted at the request of the Original Poster. So R4RT must have asked for it to be deleted.
ke5oah

remove of post

Post by ke5oah »

I believe he got his flustrations out on Mr.Allison and decided that to drop it and go on. Matter of fact i just been visiting "Radio Mart" for the first time. I think with the warranty and the pics that is put on his equipment that it would be as good as any place and better than most to buy used equipment. Im not "kissing Mr.Allisons xxxxt" like some may say. I have done seen that Mr.Allison goes farther than most people to keep his customers happy. Who knows i may just buy my next rig there?
larrylanberg

Re: remove of post

Post by larrylanberg »

ke5oah wrote:I have done seen that Mr.Allison goes farther than most people to keep his customers happy.
Best laugh I've had all night. Thanks
:D
ke5oah

Post by ke5oah »

larrylanberg wrote:
ke5oah wrote:I have done seen that Mr.Allison goes farther than most people to keep his customers happy.
Best laugh I've had all night. Thanks
:D
Im glad i could get you laughing! I quess im not to hard to please. When i buy a used radio "I don't expect it to be new or new looking" no matter how good the seller says it is. As long it works as it should and it beat up to bad i don't complain. But i know ever persons judgement is diffrent.
W3RXO

Post by W3RXO »

ke5oah wrote:Im glad i could get you laughing! I quess im not to hard to please. When i buy a used radio "I don't expect it to be new or new looking" no matter how good the seller says it is. As long it works as it should and it beat up to bad i don't complain. But i know ever persons judgement is diffrent.
I have my prejudices, regarding Mr Allison, but I will try to be fair, here, and simply state the facts, without letting my personal animosity, seep through, too much.

True, when buying used radios, one must expect to have some signs of wear, UNLESS the item is advertised as being, "As New", or "MINT", or "The finest example of xxxxx I have ever seen" when that businessperson advertises as specializing in that specific brand.
Also, when one is selling a radio, which is 40-70 years old, EXTREMELY collectible, and highly sought after, at prices as high, or higher, than some moden high end rigs, and the collector's club which is dedicated to that manufacturer, has established a grading system, taking the personal opinion out of the rating, and rating it, specifically on the actual physical condition, one has a reasonable expectation, of the seller's description being accurate, based on the established grading system.
Secondly, when a person sells to an individual, and that individual, who is operating as a business, removes parts, making that item non-functional, and then gives highly degrading feedback, about the seller, based on the condition AFTER he (the business buying the item) removed parts, that is outright fraud, and libel.
Lastly, sellers are responsible for accurately describing the items they are selling. As a fairly active seller, myself, on here, QRZ and eBay (I don't do it as a business, but I am always looking for specific rigs, and willing to sell/trade other things I have, to get those that I want), a seller, if only to protect himself, has a responsibility, to accurately describe an item for sale. Unless he cares more about the almighty dollar, than he does about his reputation, it is always best to let the buyer know about ANY and ALL known flaws, up front, no matter how minute, the flaw may be. Buyers tend to be picky, and when they are paying top dollar, for a collectible item, they have a right to expect the seller's description to be 100% accurate. And, if it appears that the seller was outright lying about the rig's condition, it then rises to the level of fraud.
Now, with all that said, I suggest you do some research on sellers, be it K4TEC, or me, or anyone else, for that matter, before you entrust your money, or rig, to their hands. Just for grins, go type in his name, and or, call sign in Google, or on QRZ, or on eHam, or here, or any other ham radio dedicated site. I don't know if eBay still shows it's feedback profile of him, but it is so dismal to look at the negativity there, I hope nobody else, ever makes the mistake of choosing a similar eBay monicker, lest they reap the bad rap, that was sown by the original Radio-Mart.
If you don't love it leave it. Let this...be your warning, when you're running down my country man, you're walking on the fighting side of me.
Merle Haggard
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

The above poster is right ! He knows what he is talking about and any prospective buyers would do well to take his advice !

Reputations ( both good and bad ) are earned.
ke5oah

W3RXO

Post by ke5oah »

I agree on the condition of vintage equipment. Yes i have googled "radio mart","martyn allison" and seen some bad and good feedback. But i have owned several bussiness over the yrs and know that no matter what kind of service you give,some people are not happy with;price,quality,workmanship,or speed. What i am saying is; "radio mart" has been in bussiness several yrs and he was running a total fraud operation,then people wouldn't do any repeat bussiness with him. He is still in operation,so that tells me that "not everyone"is unhappy with him and the way he sells his product. Yes,when a radio says as"new" it should look and function that way. But i know that isn't the way it always works. I just traded for a rig and the guy changed his story about 3times after i sent him my equip and money. It started out that"it has a great receiver and the tuner works good,the rig is 100%" after he shipped it he"assumes it a ok radio,that he hadden't had time to check it" so when i get it i will know. But i don't have a good feeling,and this guy is 100% on ebay and other sites. So the radio better work fine when i get it or i'll be HOT! Everyone one will know about it!!!!!!!
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

Huh ?
W3RXO

Re: W3RXO

Post by W3RXO »

ke5oah wrote:I agree on the condition of vintage equipment. Yes i have googled "radio mart","martyn allison" and seen some bad and good feedback.
Well, I have personally had a bad dealing with him, and have three personal friends who have also had very negative deals with him. YET, one friend, had a great deal with him, recently. I believe the majority of his customers are satisfied, but, that there are a large contingent of folks, like me, who have had bad dealings with him, or, as was noted, his reputation wouldn't be earned. While you don't get lots of repeat customers, without doing some good business, you also do not earn a bad rep, without screwing over another large segment of your customers.
If you don't love it leave it. Let this...be your warning, when you're running down my country man, you're walking on the fighting side of me.
Merle Haggard
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

Even a clock that doesn't run is right twice a day.
ke5oah

I agree

Post by ke5oah »

WB6VHK wrote:Even a clock that doesn't run is right twice a day.
Thats right!lol Well he might have had to tighten standards some. Myself,i don't think it would bother me to by a radio from Martyn. The reason i say that is his return policy. If he sold me a piece if junk i would send it back. Most guys on this site and others won't take returns at all. So with that said,if martyn sells me a bunk radio in his return policy i can send it back. Yes i may not be real happy about it,but im not stuck with it. I'll just eat the shipping to get things right. I see many people complaining about getting ripped by indivdual sellers.They don't sell many rigs,so they really don't care if they get a bad review or not because they don't depend on selling for a living. I can understand if you got a bad deal being kinda mad about it. Also when in bussiness selling things,when you start getting bad feedback from customers its time to look at your operation and fix the problem or you won't be in bussiness long.It goes back to what overhead v. quality v. tolerability =profit. I figure it a 30%min profit margin.
kg4mlo

Post by kg4mlo »

Only if a 12 hour clock, and then depending on DST or not.
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

Quote from KE5OAH :

.It goes back to what overhead v. quality v. tolerability =profit. I figure it a 30%min profit margin.

Like I said before ...Huh ?

There are many reputable honest sellers , Here, on ebay, the internet, etc that just never seem to have problems selling used equipment to people. Henry Radio comes to mind. They have been on ebay now for over several years and maintain a 100% feedback rating. They sell many old used "estate sale" items but instead of using misleading terms such as " the best ever offered" etc. they just describe what they have for sale accurately.

I would have a big problem if I purchased a radio that was described as "like new" , "a real keeper" , "mint in the box" , and then received a radio that was all scratched up, missing parts, etc. At that point I would want my money back. I would be equally upset if the seller said "sure, send it back, you pay shipping" ....Why should a buyer eat the cost of the sellers dishonesty ? The answer is he should not.

I
W3RXO

Re: I agree

Post by W3RXO »

ke5oah wrote:
Thats right!lol Well he might have had to tighten standards some. Myself,i don't think it would bother me to by a radio from Martyn. The reason i say that is his return policy. If he sold me a piece if junk i would send it back. Most guys on this site and others won't take returns at all. So with that said,if martyn sells me a bunk radio in his return policy i can send it back. Yes i may not be real happy about it,but im not stuck with it. I'll just eat the shipping to get things right. I see many people complaining about getting ripped by indivdual sellers.They don't sell many rigs,so they really don't care if they get a bad review or not because they don't depend on selling for a living. I can understand if you got a bad deal being kinda mad about it. Also when in bussiness selling things,when you start getting bad feedback from customers its time to look at your operation and fix the problem or you won't be in bussiness long.It goes back to what overhead v. quality v. tolerability =profit. I figure it a 30%min profit margin.
That is the beauty of this system. You are free to make your choice, based upon what is important to you. If his bad rep, is not an important factor in you making your decision to buy from him, so be it. Just remember "Caveat emptor". Nobody is going to give you any sympathy, if he does wrong by you.
I'm not angry, with him, about my dealing. I am angry with myself, because it was my fault, for being duped, while KNOWING his reputation. I needed something, right away, and knowing his bad rep, I bought that item from him, anyway, expecting to be amongst those who have had good deals with him. Instead, I paid more than top dollar, for an adequately working, but far from ***MINT*** condition Drake AC-4. It had parts loose inside the case, and had a fairly well beat up outer case. It was certainly NOT the item in the photographs, as listed on eBay. As I said, it was FAR from ***MINT*** as it was advertised. But, I needed it, so I bit the bullet, and dealt with it. While, I wrote to him, and got a snarky response, I took it no further, at the time, it would have been a dead issue, and he simply would have lost a potential repeat customer, in the process. It would not be an issue today, were he not involved in 3 bad deals with close friends, FAR worse than mine, who were unaware of his bad rep, (one of whom, was selling items for the widow of mutual friend). So, I will be ever vigilant, in making sure, that potential customers, are aware of his reputation. Then, if they continue to wish to purchase from him, that's their choice. I can't make the decision for folks, and I am not going to go to any extraordinary measures to harm his business. I believe that he has done that, on his own, if people will just read up about his reputation. I don't care if people want to do business with him. I simply believe that it is my duty, to make sure that as many people as possible, are aware, of his reputation, so they can make an informed decision.
But, consider this. Martyn Allison, K4TEC, is named in my will. Since I have no heirs, who are interested in amateur radio, I have given them instruction to sell my equipment, including my vintage Collins and Drake rigs, but if they do not otherwise sell, my heirs are instructed to give them away, to appreciative hams, or destroy them, before allowing Martyn, or his associates, to buy them. I do not want them going through the B.S. that others have, when selling to this guy.
Merle Haggard
ke5oah

Post by ke5oah »

Common since goes a long ways! If a buyer don't trust a sellers reputation he has the option not to buy. If a ham buys a radio from a seller and does check the reputation and is unhappy with his purchase then he only can blame his self. Thats the way the system we live in works. Any Court Judge will tell you that "unwillful knowledge" pertaining to "law" or civil matters is "no excuse" and you only have yourself to blame if you are burden buy it. I agree with you,that no i wouldn't be happy at all! But really all that you can do is protest the seller. Thats what i see here.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

W3RXO you have written a very fair and excellent comment. I have also had my problem with Martyn and have expressed it also more than once. But i no longer say anything as there is no need for me to say anything when there are so many others that can speak out for or against him. I wish no one any ill will as i'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around. I wish all who deal with Martyn the best in there dealings, so this is all i will say about it for now.
Larry Huff K0pd
W3RXO

Good idea, Larry.

Post by W3RXO »

k0pd wrote:W3RXO you have written a very fair and excellent comment. I have also had my problem with Martyn and have expressed it also more than once. But i no longer say anything as there is no need for me to say anything when there are so many others that can speak out for or against him. I wish no one any ill will as i'm a firm believer in what comes around goes around. I wish all who deal with Martyn the best in there dealings, so this is all i will say about Martyn for now.
Larry, I like your idea. For now, I will drop it. But I may once again pick up the torch, if I see some poorly informed person, about to be taken to the cleaners, by Martyn.
Merle Haggard
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

I agree 100% . W3RXO has hit the proverbial "nail on the head" .
ke5oah

i agree 100%

Post by ke5oah »

Very well said RXO! Thats the best way to look at it. I figure anyone else gets bad dealing,they will pick up the torch and give you a break. I would bet that since the negitive feedback that has been said here has changed the way radio's are described. It gets sellers thinking after reading all of this.lol
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

Since some people 'round here on eham seem to like taking polls here are a few polls I would love to see ( without naming names and about no one in particular of course )

1) If a "used radio dealer" advertised a radio as "mint" , "best ever offered " and you purchased it would you be upset if instead you received a scratched up well used looking radio ?

2) If you won a auction for a radio from a ebay dealer / seller and found out you had paid 250.00 too much because the dealer was using a shill bidder to drive up the price would you be upset ?

3) If the above #1 scenario happened and the used radio dealer said "sure, send it back for a refund" would you feel he should pay ( since his radio was not as described ) return shipping ?

Let's do it !
ke5oah

poll

Post by ke5oah »

WB6VHK wrote:Since some people 'round here on eham seem to like taking polls here are a few polls I would love to see ( without naming names and about no one in particular of course )

1) If a "used radio dealer" advertised a radio as "mint" , "best ever offered " and you purchased it would you be upset if instead you received a scratched up well used looking radio ?

2) If you won a auction for a radio from a ebay dealer / seller and found out you had paid 250.00 too much because the dealer was using a shill bidder to drive up the price would you be upset ?

3) If the above #1 scenario happened and the used radio dealer said "sure, send it back for a refund" would you feel he should pay ( since his radio was not as described ) return shipping ?

Let's do it !
As in example (1),pertaining to;(3) is;yes i would not like having to pay shipping to return the item.(1)pertaining to;(2) I would not give 250 bucks more than it was worth in "any case".(2) is for someone thats dumb enough to fall for it and in (1)and(2) they would really be mad for them to have to use(3).
R4RT

Re: Must have been requested.

Post by R4RT »

K9XR wrote:According to the sticky on this forum about deleting posts it can only be deleted at the request of the Original Poster. So R4RT must have asked for it to be deleted.
Gentlemen !
I do not delete!
Who and how to remove it, I do not know.
I think that someone "really hurts your eyes"
73! Alex