Does anyone ever get busted for scamming?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w7why

Does anyone ever get busted for scamming?

Post by w7why »

Do any of these rip-off crooks ever get busted for stealing money on here?

I see lots of postings where someone has bought something and never paid. Lots of negative feedback and grumbling and complaing, but that is as far as it goes. If I didn't give a rip about my reputation, I could make a lot of money here (till I got busted).

I'm thinking that law enforcement really isn't all that interested because the amounts of money are so small. Also, who wants to go from Florida to California to take someone to small claims court for $150 or so.

I've never seen it posted here where someone has been arrested for internet fraud or something. Seems like using the mail for illegal dealings should be some kind of federal infraction.

I think that if some of these guys got the book thrown at them, this kind of thing wouldn't be going so frequently.

Mistakes can be made, but if someone mans up and makes it right, that shouldn't get a lot of negative feedback. I'm sure that every sale that your local car dealer doesn't go perfectly, either. 73
Tom W7WHY
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

15 years or so I got scammed out of $1500. It was (and is) a lot of money to me. The POS was living "in a post office box" at a mail drop (not even the PO) in Glendale AZ. I got the sheriff to go get him and just before he was picked up, he moved to PA and then to Canada. I can't touch him through legal means in Canada but if/when I ever get to that part of Canada, I will extract $1500 in either cash or sadistic pleasure.
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

Interesting....About 17 years ago I got scammed from a guy in Glendale Az. too.

Was his name Roland by chance ?
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

WB6VHK wrote:Interesting....About 17 years ago I got scammed from a guy in Glendale Az. too.

Was his name Roland by chance ?
No. Joe/Joseph and he has quite a history and is still running from his past.