W2JUQ Paul......... Be Careful!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k8zby

W2JUQ Paul......... Be Careful!

Post by k8zby »

I bought a transceiver from Paul. He descrbed it as about an 8 in appearance. When it arrived, it looked like it had been rolled dodwn a hill. Rusty meal, corrosion on the screws from salt water, nicks, scratches, and dirty everywhere. When I told him it wan't worth what I paid for it, he said "Sorry, it was not intentional", but offered no refund or opportunity to return it. He said "It won't interfere with the operation." Just beware you probably won't get what you are expecting if you buy from him.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Even tho i describe my items for sale or trade on a ten scale i really am not all that comfortable doing so. The reason is what i see as a 8 or 9 someone else might grade it higher or lower. But there is no way a radio with dings,scratches and rust could one call a 8. A 7 possible but not as high as a 8. Thats my view for what it's worth...
Larry Huff K0pd
hamradman

Post by hamradman »

I have a problem when someone has an ad that says "Mint, as when new".
Mint as when new means when box was first opened and used for first time.
To me it is not mint if it has been sitting on a desk and being used for some time. I then would call it excellent or perfect condition if it had no marks or working problems.
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

Don't forget the old...

"It looks great for a 20 year old radio"

This is a useless statement, in my opinion, as my car looks newer than my neighbor's car, and it's 10 years older than his.
K4ICL

Here is a set of EQUIPMENT CONDITION grading guidlines.

Post by K4ICL »

W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

Based upon your grading system, your chart says "NEW" should rate an A+, yet below the chart you mention "An item bought from a dealer but remaining in its factory sealed box would be an A." If it's still in its factory sealed box, why should it not rate an A+? Otherwise, your chart seems to be spot-on...
K4ICL

Type corrected.

Post by K4ICL »

Thank you. Typo corrected.

Would appreciate knowing of any other like errors seen.

Cheers,

K4ICL
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

Well, if you insist... :D

(when clicking on the A+ rating)

Should not have been sold before.

Once an item is sold to the initial customer, it does not qualify, even if it is still in factory sealed carton.

This statement, as interpreted by me, means that the only "person" that could use the A+ rating would be a dealer selling an item? Am I correct in this assumption?
K4ICL

Correct...

Post by K4ICL »

The only A+ (NEW) is still in the domain of the dealer.

Items in a sealed factory box, not remaining in the dealer's domain, are AS NEW, same as EXCELLENT.

K4ICL