WHO ARE THE DEALERS ??

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
wa4cch

WHO ARE THE DEALERS ??

Post by wa4cch »

HELLO
I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE FOR SALE ADS FOR THE LAST YEAR OR SO AND I ALWAYS SEE THE SAME CALLS SHOWING UP SOME WITH AS MANY AS TEN AD'S A DAY AND EVEN MORE AT TIMES ARE THESE HAMS DEALERS OR WHAT IF THEY ARE RUNNING A BISNISS WHY DONT THEY LIST THEMSELVS AS DEALER AND GIVE WARRENTY AND SO FORTH I THOUGHT THIS SWAP/SALE PAGE WAS FOR THE HAM WHO HAS ONE OR TWO ITEMS FOR SALE NOT DAY AFTER DAY SAME GUYS IF THEY ARE GONNA BE DEALERS I THINK THEY SHOULD PAY FOR USE OF THIS SPACE PAY INCOME TAX GET BISSNISS LICENCE'S WHERE I LIVE IF MY NEIGHBORS SAW ALL THE UPS TRUCKS COMING AND GOING THEY WOULD CALL CODE ENFORCEMENT WHAT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TOO IF YOUR A DEALER HAVE THE GUTS TO SAY SO
JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH
73 DE CHUCK
k7zy

bisniss

Post by k7zy »

Do you mean business ?
wa4cch

Post by wa4cch »

YEP NEVER COULD SPELL BIZZNESS
K4ICL

This is what hamming is all about, for some...

Post by K4ICL »

There are a lot of hams that get a big kick out of buying, selling, and swapping ham gear. Also, there are a fair number who enjoy refurbishing equipment. Sometimes in large volumes. I probably fit in both in categories.

I have never been able to sell equipment that I have refurbished for what the original cost of the old receiver, needed parts and labor costs would be. No one wants to pay that kind of price. Lets be honest, there is no monetary profit. Instead the reward is seeing what some would call junk turned back into a true collector piece. That is why I do it.

The same, to some extent, is true of buying and selling parts or equipment. The challenge of mastering the materials, learning what it is, what it does, and what it is useful for. All part of the fun. I, personally, like to swap gear to learn more about what is available and to enjoy the learning curve of mastering something new.

I am not alone. To most who were hamming in the fifties and sixties, this is what hamming is all about. It has nothing to do with running a business...

K4ICL
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

I live near Al (K4ICL) but have a completely different reason for buying, selling, and trading. I am just plain curious. I want a top shelf station but can't afford it. I have several HF radios that I use for contesting, rag chewing, DX chasing, and general amateur radio. I have VHF radios that are also there for me to use. When I see something I want to try out I sell something or trade for it. I won't be buying one of the new $10K radios but might like to play with one when 2nd hand prices make it reasonable to my budget. Even by the time that happens it will mean I have to sell a boatload of HF radios and throw in a few VHF/UHF rigs to boot. Does that make me a dealer? If it were a "bissniss" I would be losing a ton and the stockholders would have my skin.
wa4cch

Post by wa4cch »

:oops: hi again
well i think you all missed my point i don't care if you list 10 or fifteen things hell i list here and on e-ham too i like to trade for new gear also but I DON'T LIST TEN THINGS A DAY DAY AFTER DAY WEEK AFTER WEEK MONTH AFTER MONTH YEAR AFTER YEAR MABY I'AM JUST A DUMB REDNECK
BUT WHEN YOU SEE THE SAME PEOPLE ON EVERY SWAP/TRADE NET EVERY DAY IN MY DUMB ASS REDNECK BRAIN IT SPELLS DEALER THATS WHO I WAS TALKING ABOUT I JUST THINK YOU OUGHT WHO YOUR DEALING WITH
thhhhats all folks
N0FQN

Like the others

Post by N0FQN »

I, also refurbish gear and have a curiosity about differst rigs and peripheral equipment. I also get enjoyment out of seeing a peice of gear returned to working condition and hopefully go to a home where it's appreciated. I detest resellers. Always want your hard work for nothing so they can make a killing. I don't list that often but, I know my call sign shows up and several hams recogize it. I try to be honest and fair. But there are those who push the boundaries. No names or call signs need to be mentioned. We all know who they are. I'm not sure how this particular situation could be or, should be, even handled. Should there be a limit on the number of listings per week? Per month? When you start to restrict and set limits people will complain of there freedom of speech being impaired. Even if it's not there site or, right to set the rules.
K3DD

I vote to ban commercial posts

Post by K3DD »

I don't mind having traders on an online forum designed for traders, no matter how often they buy and sell stuff. I do mind people who solicit equipment with the intention to resell elsewhere at a profit. That's a commercial enterprise, whether it's done at a local or online store, or out of a shack in one's house. It's very easy, just by casual reading, to identify those commercial enterprises here who are masquerading as ham radio operators.

It's not a big problem, just a few.

Thus, I don't think it's a matter of limiting the number of posts, just forcing commercial operators to purchase ads or sponsorships, like all of the reputable dealers do now, and leaving this free forum for the hobbyists of ham radio.
N5JFJ

Post by N5JFJ »

Wow... this one is a "Goodie" :? Well fellow operators what is next? Will they stop at your home and write you a Ticket because you've had too many Garage Sales, or sold a few cars? In "DEFENSE" of some, so called Dealers I know some of these GENTLEMEN personally - and have done business myself with them. I would mention that most of them, do take our Hobby to heart, in every RESPECT! Except and BECAUSE - they worked hard in Life, they are Financially able - to do a little more Trading and Selling, than some of the rest of us! I was moved to mention to you that even though they may appear to be a "DEALER"...In Fact you have a HONEST TO GOD operator, that loves this Hobby and enjoys every aspect of being INVOLVED with it. BUT...what I want to mention is that with a "DEALER" where is there HEART? The ART in IN THE SALE (PERIOD :( Some of these fellows, have kindly - time and time again, taken trades or made arrangements so that operators that aren't made out of MONEY, Can and do get to enjoy, a few more things on this earth... while we are here! They make Trading deals, they have said Okay I will pay shipping, Okay I will trade you out right, or most important, "Okay if you aren't HAPPY I will take it back. Tell me how many "DEALERS" or Ham STORES that you know...will personally do that... to FIT your needs? I am just one person, but I am one that is THANKFUL for some of those Fine Fellows, that have NEVER SHAFTED ME, and I know I can ALWAYS TRUST by the way they have conducted themselves, and their business with past records to Prove it! But thenI ask, Isn't that WHY we live and thank GOD for AMERICA...For FREEDOM? Isn't it "ANYONE'S RIGHT" to FREELY trade or Sell here...As each of us would hope to do? I tell you Friends and Fellow Ham operators in honesty, if we did not have some of these most Generous and Totally involved Fellow Hams that some would call "Dealers" I sincerely don't know what some of us would do, especially older deserving Hams that want to make Trades and "DEALS!" Just my opinion, and we all know what that is compared to. God Bless you and your Family. 73's DE N5JFJ
73's and May God Bless you and your Family
livecam

Post by livecam »

Its fair to say that those who are posting multiple pages of items for sale almost daily are operating a business and operating it under the guise of a hobby. These guys most certainly aren't hams who want to buy and sell for a little fun and they aren't doing it just to try out new gear. I find their use of hobbyist websites as vehicles for free advertising to be somewhat distasteful and maybe somewhat dishonest as well. These are the same guys who might just be shorting unknowing widows in estate deals and flipping the ham gear for top dollar. Frequent visitors to this website and others know who these guys are. Another similiar website forbids advertising by businesses and you'll notice that the ads from these guys, particularly the Florida bunch don't appear there. Its all about whats right and whats wrong, a very simple concept really. The for profit bunch should buy some bricks and mortar and open a real store.
FatLoss

Post by FatLoss »

oh really? ;)
Stuff
km5gj

DEALERS PAY

Post by km5gj »

In most cases the hobby/dealers I know have web sites thru QTH for the sale of their equipment. Some of them even have brick & mortor stores and others work out of their house. No big deal, if I thought I could make a living buying and sell ham radio I would do that too! I run my business (not ham radio) out of my home and I have a web site hosted by QTH. My web site makes me money. I admire the computer knowledge of our host KA9FOX and his associates.
K4ICL

What is a "store"?

Post by K4ICL »

In central Africa the only way to know if a hut in the village is a "store" is by the stack of flat stones along side of the path to the hut. If the owner of the hut was selling meals, a small stone would be the "top" stone of the stack.

It was not too different in the days of the old west before the boardwalks were built to keep people out of the mud. Slowly things progress until a buildings were built in the marketing area suitable for displaying goods. The so-called store had a "store front.," as do most stores today.

But that is rapidly changing from a building to a virtual store space that resides on a computer. No bricks. No mortar. No employees awaiting customers. Just a computer port that would connect us to the store owner.

As a customer, I prefer the virtual stores. Easier to find, less effort to access and better prices due to the reduction of "overhead" traditional stores included in the prices. And of course, easier comparitive shopping.

As a store owner, I prefer the new way of doing things because it costs less to set up, the market is world-wide and the effort to run the store is reduced, meaning reduced employee costs.

But, there are drawbacks to the new way of doing things. The most prominent one being the inability to get to know the customers. I can't see them, I can't judge their appearance, how they carry themselves, how that act or even what gender they are. In short, the customer has become a mystery. This has caused me to sharpen my research skills and to learn the so-called "red flags" warning me not to do business with certain persons.

This forced-upon-us-skill is a must, now. I don't like it but that is the way things are. I, personally, have no problem with all types of ads on the Internet, I don't judge the relative merits or faults of various sellers, so long as they are honest and do not attempt to deceive their readers. It is not important why he sells. It is vitally important how he sells.

Cheers,

K4ICL
kc4wms

Post subject: WHO ARE THE DEALERS ??

Post by kc4wms »

Bless the guys who are "dealers" , multiple listings over a period tells me This is an honest man. If he were dishonest, it wouldn't be lucrative for him to keep selling this way. Feedbacks usually show these gentlemen are all above board, and I would not hesitate to buy from them. Bless them all. ;o)

73 de kc4wms
Ham Operators do it with Frequency
wa2rqy

Post by wa2rqy »

Most Collectors buy 2 & sell 1 just to keep the better unit.
This is repeated until he gets divorced :D
Rich
Tnx & 73......
Rich WA2RQY/4
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Are we slowly heading down the old Soviet way of spying on our friend's and neighbor's. I know that remark was over board but calling code enforcement because UPS truck's show up at your house every day!!!! I don't care if every Ham op in the country bought and sold equipment. I for one do not have a lot of money and they make it possible for me to try different equipment, so i say power to them and thank GOD for the American enterprise system and our freedom of Choice....
Larry Huff K0pd
n5wrx

Re: WHO ARE THE DEALERS ??

Post by n5wrx »

I for one would much rather buy used radio equipment from a "Frequent Seller" or what you call a "Dealer".

Personally ... as a frequent buyer of used ham gear ... I want to see a lot of sellers as that gives me more to choose from and keeps the price down.
Also dont forget that the more deals a person makes the more people know his reputation.
I would rather send a thousand dollars to a known "dealer" with hundreds of done deals than someone that nobody knows.