Beware of Gene Weekly/ N0RIE

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w8aii

Beware of Gene Weekly/ N0RIE

Post by w8aii »

I recently concluded a deal with Gene Weekly, N0RIE for a FT-100D, three microphones and a Microham digital interface. Upon opening the package containing all items I was instantly hit with the smell of cigarette smoke.

The rig itself looked like it was used for an ash tray from the day of purchase. The rig also looked like it had been bounced around in the back of a pick-up truck as the case was dented, scratched and covered in dust and cigarette ash. Additionally, the top of the case had a series of holes drilled in it for some apparent reason, two of the outer case retainging screws are sheared off.

All three of the microphones are damaged in some way. All have frayed cords that were wrapped in electricians tape. All three reek of smoke. The MicroHam interface also smells of smoke and all of the cables are nicotine stained.

I emailed Gene to tell him that I was not happy with the condition of the equipment and that I will be returning the equipment back to him for a full refund. So far, Gene has not responded back to my emails... He never mentioned in his add the condition of the equipment not did he say it came from a smoking environment. Had I know that, I would have NEVER purchased the above items.

This was definitely an eye-opener for me in all my years of trading/buying ham gear. I would never in a million years think that a fellow amateur would go so far as to deceive another amateur in the way that Gene did. As the saying goes... "Buyer Beware"...

73, Al/ W8AII
Hammyguy

Post by Hammyguy »

Many would have an issue with YOU for not asking if the guy was a smoker and not even blink an eye for the seller not mentioning it.

This is the one of the things that isn't revealed by pictures. I've gotten stung several times by smokers rigs. Yes I've cleaned them up, but unless the ham was a very light smoker the stink stays with the rig.
W4LTD

Re: Beware of Gene Weekly/ N0RIE

Post by W4LTD »

w8aii wrote:He never mentioned in his add the condition of the equipment not did he say it came from a smoking environment. Had I know that, I would have NEVER purchased the above items.
I am not condoning the seller's behavior in this transaction, but "condition" is usually the first thing I ask.

He should, in the very least, give you some sort of refund -- but this situation is definitely hard to call...
w8aii

Post by w8aii »

Hammyguy wrote:Many would have an issue with YOU for not asking if the guy was a smoker and not even blink an eye for the seller not mentioning it.

This is the one of the things that isn't revealed by pictures. I've gotten stung several times by smokers rigs. Yes I've cleaned them up, but unless the ham was a very light smoker the stink stays with the rig.
Hammyguy... Your absolutely correct... I SHOULD have been more diligent... So far, I have had no response to my queries to the seller regarding returning the despicable equipment. As they say... "Lesson learned..."

73, Al/ W8AII
w8aii

Beware of Gene Weekly, N0RIE UPDATE

Post by w8aii »

Since I last posted, I have been in contact with Gene, N0RIE over the purchase of his equipment. After some lengthy discussion, he agreed to refund my money. After sending back the equipment, about a week later I received an email from Gene stating that he was not happy with the way the equipment was returned. He stated that the package was damaged with several pieces missing and one of the components broken.

I used the USPS to return Gene's equipment with "Delivery Confirmation" option. I asked Gene if he had taken any pictures to show me the damage and also asked him if he spoke to the USPS about the damage. He stated to me that the damage was inspected and noted by the USPS mail carrier. I went to the USPS website to see if the said damaged was noted in the comments section and found nothing noted about the damage. All the website stated was that the package was delivered.

I went one step further and contacted the USPS office in Gene's hometown. The USPS mail carrier I talked to indicated that she remembered the delivery and that there was no damage to the package and that it was in good condition. She told me if there was any problem with the package, it would have been noted on the website.

I contacted Gene about my follow up with the USPS and my discussion with them. After some additional discussion, he then agreed to return back to me my full purchase price. That was back at the end of August..

Since that time, it has been excuse after excuse and, to date, I have yet to receive any money from Gene. I then received an email from Gene on the 3rd of November stating to me that the money had been sent. To date, I have yet to receive any money from Gene. Additionally, he has not responded to any of my emails regarding the return of my money. Not only did Gene keep my money, he also has the equipment back as well.

I have since contacted the USPS Fraud department and reported Gene's actions to them. I also plan to contact the law enforcement folks in Gene's hometown and file a complaint with them. As I have never experienced this before, I'm not sure what to expect. My guess... It is now a lost cause...

All I can do is stand by my original statement and that is, be skeptical of any transactions with Gene Weekly, N0RIE.

Al/ W8AII
n0rie

W8AII

Post by n0rie »

all i have sent the money to you
you just have not recived it yet
Last edited by n0rie on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n0rie

Re: W8AII

Post by n0rie »

all ,
i have sent the money to you
you just have recived it yet..
as for fraud there is none as you got all that was in add --and you sent it back to me..
and as for going to law enforcement and filling a complant or fraud..
you have no leg to stand on as i sent all idems to you ..now you think this over be
for i take legal action against you for slander ....
i tryed to keep it privte but you posted here so here is my responds to you in pulbic....
w8aii

Post by w8aii »

N0RIE

You stated in your email to me on the 3rd of November that you sent me my money. If that s the case, why have I not yet received my money and why is it that you do not answer any of my emails regarding this issue?

As I told you before, I will give you credit where credit is due. Once I receive my money, I will post here that you sent me my money. Today is the 19th of November and I STILL do not have my money...

"Slander"... I think not N0RIE... I have said nothing that is not true... Keep it private you say... Once again, why have you not answered my emails that I sent directly to you?

W8AII
n0rie

email

Post by n0rie »

all
as i told you earler i lost web severcie when my nabeor moved
now i have to go in to the libary in town
afall hard to get a ride in everyday as now nebor is 1mile from me..
iwish that i could add emails on this post then people cuold see (them)form you''''
w8aii

Beware of Gene Weekly, N0RIE Update

Post by w8aii »

N0RIE

In the last two days you have managed to post an answer to my posts here on the QTH Feedback forum and threaten me with legal action. But not one email from you since you emailed me on the 3rd of November regarding where my money is at.

If what you say is true in regards to sending me my money, why is it taking so long to get to Ohio from California? I have bought and sold many amateur radio related items to hams in California and it has never taken more than five days for first class mail to get from your locations to mine. Something is amiss here. You never indicated to me how you sent my money.

Put yourself in my shoes and tell me how "YOU" would feel if it was "YOU" waiting over three months to get your money returned. When I emailed you to tell you I had not received my money, you never responded back to my emails. So each day goes by and nothing from you in the mail. I ask again, how would you feel?

If was in your shoes I would be doing everything in my power to find out what happened and what I could do to fix the problem. I would hope that you can understand my frustration with you at this point.

W8AII
k5yy

Re: Beware of Gene Weekly, N0RIE Update

Post by k5yy »

[quote="w8aii"]N0RIE

In the last two days you have managed to post an answer to my posts here on the QTH Feedback forum and threaten me with legal action. But not one email from you since you emailed me on the 3rd of November regarding where my money is at.

If what you say is true in regards to sending me my money, why is it taking so long to get to Ohio from California? I have bought and sold many amateur radio related items to hams in California and it has never taken more than five days for first class mail to get from your locations to mine. Something is amiss here. You never indicated to me how you sent my money.

Put yourself in my shoes and tell me how "YOU" would feel if it was "YOU" waiting over three months to get your money returned. When I emailed you to tell you I had not received my money, you never responded back to my emails. So each day goes by and nothing from you in the mail. I ask again, how would you feel?

If was in your shoes I would be doing everything in my power to find out what happened and what I could do to fix the problem. I would hope that you can understand my frustration with you at this point.

W8AII[/quote]
I would have steered clear if his emails to you were as badly spelled, unpunctuated and with no capital letters, as these posts have been from him. I can not read them without a lot of thought and guessing at what he is saying. I think your emails to and from him before you bought the rig may have been a tipoff of sorts. hi I think you are stuck with the "deal", sad to say.
W0AKG

W8II

Post by W0AKG »

Here we go again, No capitol leters or corect spelling let ale puncetins.
w8aii

Beware of Gene Weekly, N0RIE

Post by w8aii »

N0RIE...

Since you haven't answered my direct emails to you, I'll post here as I'm sure you are reading this forum...

Here we are... four weeks since you last emailed me directly indicating that you allegedly sent me my money on the 3rd of November... Sadly, I'm still waiting for it to arrive... Do you have an explanation as to why I'm still waiting?

What words of misspelled wisdom do you have for me this time?

W8AII
KA2CDT

Re: Beware of Gene Weekly, N0RIE

Post by KA2CDT »

w8aii wrote:N0RIE...

Since you haven't answered my direct emails to you, I'll post here as I'm sure you are reading this forum...

Here we are... four weeks since you last emailed me directly indicating that you allegedly sent me my money on the 3rd of November... Sadly, I'm still waiting for it to arrive... Do you have an explanation as to why I'm still waiting?

What words of misspelled wisdom do you have for me this time?

W8AII

Al, I think you will have a better chance of seeing Santa Claus coming down your chimney Christmas morning than seeing your money. :(
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
kg4mlo

Re: email

Post by kg4mlo »

n0rie wrote:all
as i told you earler i lost web severcie when my nabeor moved
now i have to go in to the libary in town
afall hard to get a ride in everyday as now nebor is 1mile from me..
iwish that i could add emails on this post then people cuold see (them)form you''''

Looks like time at the library would be better spent looking through the English/Spelling books rather that web servicing !!!!