N9HPC BEWARE of MARK THOMAS $600 Scam.

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K4TEC

N9HPC BEWARE of MARK THOMAS $600 Scam.

Post by K4TEC »

I have known Mark for some time, I have had 2 or 3 dealings with him and none have gone smoothly.

Well his latest deal has me VERY annoyed the details below.

"Hey Martyn as we discussed on the phone. The ft 100D and $600 for my icom ic 7000 hey, I want the one that has the box with it. you have listed on your web page. Thank You very much,' Mark / N9hpc"

so we shipped him the radio (Yaesu FT-100D) via UPS 25/7/11 re UPS tracking # 1Z48YA840374326135, he received the radio, we also on Fri 7/22/2011 3:42 PM sent him $600 via PayPal (Account info n9hpc@XXXX.com, Transaction ID: 7X566792NH715925C) he asked we send it as a gift which we did but he refunded it immediately and asked if we could send it again I thought odd but okay so I did,(account name n9hpc@XXXX.com, Transaction ID: 9LR16192D49679232) this cleared immediately as the money came direct from my bank.

2 weeks passed and I chased up the radio we were waiting for (Icom IC-7000) but I was given 3 excuses, one was he had been ill, then his wife sent it to the wrong address and then it was sent.

Well on Thu 8/4/2011 FedEx delivered a package, when opened it was the original radio (Yaesu FT-100D) that we had sent him, I called him right away at 6-54PM and he told me he thought the radio we sent him was faulty, I asked if he had reset the radio like the manual tells you and he said no, shame really as the rig would not TX but after the reset it is performing perfectly (I kept the box and packaging as evidence of its return) , I said I would send him another but he said no so I asked about the $600 and he said sorry he had already spent it and tuff and hung up on me.

I contacted PayPal but as he had asked I sent the funds to be sent as personal/other they cannot do anything for me but did speak to them and they told me he lied and said he had sent the radio to me but what in fact he did was give them the tracking # for the returned radio, the one we originally supplied to him.

He no longer answers his calls from me, he lied to PayPal, He conned me out of $600

I have exercised all my rights to the full extent of the law and are perusing criminal action against him.

I see on the forum where he has had less than desirable dealings in the past.

I post this message on this forum without prejudice but to serve as a warning to others who may be considering any deal with him.
K9RLB

You have an option!

Post by K9RLB »

Don't let paypal bully you! If you paid with a credit / debit card contact them directly for a chargeback! Thay can do it.
K9RLB

You have options!

Post by K9RLB »

You have options, don't let him take you, stand up!
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

Hi there,
Well him requesting that I pay as a personal/other by PayPal took away any responsibility of PayPal, my paypal account manager has sopken to him and I believe closed his PayPal account down but that does not get my $600 back.
It is now in the hands of his local police and the IL Attorney General and as such I cannot comment further at this time.
I really doubt if I will see the money but hope that the court system in Champagne IL will do their job thoroughly, I can live with that.
73s
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

Just a quick conformation that Criminal charges have now been filed
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Marty:

Thank-you for having the guts,nerve, whatever to file criminal charges against an apparent scammer instead of sitting around and flooding the web with countless "he done me wrong" posts! I commend you.

Maybe if enough of these guts get locked-up, on-line trading will be safer for everybody.

N9LCD
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

I have a very simple policy that if some one does me wrong then I will take action, the law is very easy to follow, from my background I am not going to be afraid and I will not be intimidated.
I always feel sad to have to take action despite trying to give some one a chance to put any wrong doing right but in this case when I called him and was told tough luck I dont have the money, then sorry I am not going to sit back and take it.
73s
kk9a

Re: N9HPC BEWARE of MARK THOMAS $600 Scam.

Post by kk9a »

K4TEC wrote:I have known Mark for some time, I have had 2 or 3 dealings with him and none have gone smoothly.

<snip>
I contacted PayPal but as he had asked I sent the funds to be sent as personal/other they cannot do anything for me but did speak to them and they told me he lied and said he had sent the radio to me but what in fact he did was give them the tracking # for the returned radio, the one we originally supplied to him.

He no longer answers his calls from me, he lied to PayPal, He conned me out of $600
You claim to have had two or three dealings with him and none have gone smoothly. A search of the Feedback archives find two more complaints about N9HPC. So, assuming that these complaints are true, this sounds like a risky transaction. How did he lie to paypal? You were the one who sent the money as a gift.
K4TEC

Re: N9HPC BEWARE of MARK THOMAS $600 Scam.

Post by K4TEC »

kk9a wrote:
K4TEC wrote:I have known Mark for some time, I have had 2 or 3 dealings with him and none have gone smoothly.

<snip>

You claim to have had two or three dealings with him and none have gone smoothly. A search of the Feedback archives find two more complaints about N9HPC. So, assuming that these complaints are true, this sounds like a risky transaction. How did he lie to paypal? You were the one who sent the money as a gift.
Thats a simple answer, he told PayPal that the box he returned to me was the IC-7000 transceiver when in fact it was the original FT-100D we origionally had shipped to him.

I have an email here from him regarding the FT-100D being returned, he claimed to be faulty when in fact he had not done a CPU reset and we did that, re tested the FT-100D and it promptlu sold and I have a letter from the buyer stating how happy he is with it, of course we keep all serial numbers so this easily ties up.

I sent the money at his request as a gift/other again a paper trail with that.

Hence the now filed and accepted criminal charges, I keep very good records here including emails going back 11 years and serial numbers etc. because you never know when you will need them.
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

kk9a wrote: How did he lie to paypal? You were the one who sent the money as a gift.
If I am not mistaken, when you send money as a "Gift" through PayPal, the sender (rather than the recipient) pays the PayPal fees. So, in reality, nobody is cheating PayPal out of any money. This was the case the last time I sent a loan to a friend through PayPal, but it could have changed.
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

Yes I paid the PayPal fees but sending the money that way leaves you no protection what so ever except for a paper trail, I am lucky to have a very good PayPal account manager and she contacted the seller but was lied to subsequently he had his PayPal account suspended.

I am just looking forward to hearing he has been arrested, I will happily drive the 5 hours to go to court to testify if necessary.

I am not hopeful I will see my money back but I can always keep my fingers crossed.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Civil and criminal charges are completely separate. For example, a driver, criminally charged with DUI as the result of an accident he caused, can still be sued in civil court for damages caused in the accident.

You still can file a civil suit against N9HPC to recover your $600. Plus you may get costs and prejudgment interest.

And any judgment you get will last much longer than any sentence he might receive and be more effective than any court ordered restitution. For example, In Illinois, a judgment is good for ten years and can be renewed for another ten years.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING!

N9LCD
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

N9LCD wrote:Civil and criminal charges are completely separate. For example, a driver, criminally charged with DUI as the result of an accident he caused, can still be sued in civil court for damages caused in the accident.

You still can file a civil suit against N9HPC to recover your $600. Plus you may get costs and prejudgment interest.

And any judgment you get will last much longer than any sentence he might receive and be more effective than any court ordered restitution. For example, In Illinois, a judgment is good for ten years and can be renewed for another ten years.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD HUNTING!

N9LCD
Thats interesting to consider and thank you for your comments, I will for now let the police do their thing and then follow through with civil action as a last attempt to get paid.
To file a civil action is not too cost effective what with the filing fees and serving fee not to mention the 4 to 5 hour drive to attend court maybe more than once but it is somthing I would do should the police not be effective in getting the $600 back.

Best 73s
ka9ees

Post by ka9ees »

In Illinois. That would be small claims court.

Ed KA9EES
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

ka9ees wrote:In Illinois. That would be small claims court.

Ed KA9EES
Thanks Ed,
I cannot comment further, except to say all has been taken care off thanks to the "system"
Best 73s
KT9D

KA9EES

Post by KT9D »

:lol: KA9EES...you should spend more time reading the "rules of the rails" and less time reading this forum. Hee hee. CU
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

And now he lies to the IL attorney general, not wise.
I have my $600 back but not from Mark who is the person who owes it so I will keep going after him legally until I finally get paid by him so I can give the organisation who gave me the $600 back to them as it is not their responsibility to give me money a crook owes me.
w8jn

'

Post by w8jn »

delete
Last edited by w8jn on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K4TEC

delete

Post by K4TEC »

delete
Last edited by K4TEC on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

To W8JN Paul
I posted this to warn others about this scammer and not to get personal insults from you.

You post "I hardly believe that you have filed "criminal charges” against anyone. Please provide the proof that this is accurate” upon reflection I should have just ignored you as usual as your rants and raves are nothing short of idiotic.

You make claims to put doubts in others minds but most importantly you seem to delight sticking your nose in other people’s business!

And as far as me having a strategy? What the heck,, I do my own thing and have no strategy?

Paul go get a life and grow up as I for one am fed up with your comments.
w8jn

;

Post by w8jn »

delete.
Last edited by w8jn on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K4TEC

delete

Post by K4TEC »

delete
Last edited by K4TEC on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w8jn

'

Post by w8jn »

delete
Last edited by w8jn on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K4TEC

delete

Post by K4TEC »

delete
Last edited by K4TEC on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w8jn

Post by w8jn »

delete
Last edited by w8jn on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.