W0AKG MARTIN TIPPIN - BEWARE

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
david kump

W0AKG MARTIN TIPPIN - BEWARE

Post by david kump »

I HAVE BEEN COLLECTING MOSTLY COLLINS RADIOS FOR THE PAST 40 YEARS AND CAN'T REMEMBER A DEAL GONE BAD. I HAVE BEEN WANTING A GOOD NO-TUNE HF RIG FOR SOME TIME AND WHEN I SAW AN ADD "EXCELLENT KENWOOD TS-940S" LISTED BY W0AKG .. MARTIN TIPPIN .. I ANSWERED IT AND LATER TALKED WITH MR TIPPIN ON THE PHONE. HE DESCRIBED THE RADIO AS A 9.5 AND IN EXCELLENT WORKING CONDITION. SO I SENT HIM A CASHIER'S CHECK FOR $675 AND LATER RECEIVED THE RADIO . THE RADIO HAD NOT BEEN DAMAGED IN SHIPMENT HOWEVER IT ARRIVED WITH INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS INCLUDING NO RECEIVE AUDIO. LATER WHEN TRYING THE RADIO ON SSB I NOTICED THE AUDIO WAS ALSO VERY BAD. THE RADIO HAD BEEN PERFUMED TO COVER UP THE CIGERETTE SMOKE AS WELL. MR TIPPIN SAID THE RADIO HAD NEVER BEEN AROUND SMOKING. CONTACTING MR TIPPIN HE SAID QUOTE " BECAUSE YOU TOOK THE BOTTOM PANEL OFF OF THE RADIO IT'S YOURS". I WAS JUST CHECKING FOR A LOOSE CONNECTION. HE KNEW THE RADIO HAD THESE ISSUES AND SOLD IT TO ME ANYWAY! I CHECKED EBAY AND CONTACTED PEOPLE WHO HAD ALSO BEEN RIPPED OFF BY MR TIPPIN. IF YOU WANT THIS INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT ME. I FEEL REALLY BAD ABOUT THE RADIO AND I'M TRYING TO RESELL IT "AS IS" FOR LESS MONEY.
wr0t

Rigs

Post by wr0t »

The TS 930 that I got from him worked 30 min and the display went crazy. He said that rig had just been gone thru by Cliff at Avid. I called Cliff to ask about it and he knew nothing about the rig.

He said that the digital board was not worth repairing and that I needed a new board.

I sat it back in the closet as a parts rig and about a mo later he had a digital board listed for sale. I mailed him about it and he wanted 200.00 + shipping for it.

I gave him 675.00 for the rig and he wants another 200.00 to get it working???? Not gona happen.

Only the 2nd time in over 50 years of dealing that I got screwed..... :twisted: :twisted:
Proud to Fly the Flag Long Before Was Popular
W0AKG

Dave's Feedback

Post by W0AKG »

Most people know if you have a problem with a piece of Electronic Equipment, You contact the seller first before attempting to repair yourself. As For Ebay. Doubt if Dave contacted anyone about my Feedback. Over 2500 positiives and 5 Negatives should speak for itself. The last 2 Negatives were not related to Radios. This Radio was sold and if he had not removed the bottom plate and called or Emailed me first, tthen hats a different story.
W0AKG

WR0T

Post by W0AKG »

After a year of a postive post on QTH, he changes his story. And he did not pay $675.00. He paid $575.00 for a parfectly working radio. I have no control what these Guy's do when they use the Radio. And as for Clif, he stands by his repairs and has a few thoughts about Bill!
K4ICL

MORE info...

Post by K4ICL »

This information found at http://w3.mivlmd.cablespeed.com/~ke3gk/w0akg.html

Review for "W0AKG"
Number of Reviews: 3

Purchased a real nice Kenwood TS 930SAT. We met midway between our QTH's to make the deal. Good man to deal with.
4/24/2003. (A) (QTH)
WR0T

November 16, 2002 I purchased a Kenwood TL 922 amp. from Mr. Tippin The Item Arrived on November 19 2002. The Item would not operate. With difficulty in getting a reply I finally contacted Mr. Tippin about the item being defective. I was advised to send it back to him, for repair and or refund.
November 25 2002 I sent the Item back and it was received on Dec. 02 2002 at 140 pm. Since then Mr. Tippin has made no phone call to me nor refunded any money as he stated he would. Mr. Tippin doesn't seem to work well with others, he to avoid my call's. He has had the defective merchandise back since November 25th 2002. I have received no contact from him what so ever, just a letter that he had filed Bankruptcy. A few months later he listed for sale the same item he sold to me on ebay (notified.) Fraud?, Larceny by deception? I believe Mr. Tippin after receiving the Kenwood TL 922A back he realize he had my money and the equipment. At that point he decided to sell the Kenwood TL 922A, again. Ira G Neal- KE4EX
9/30/2003. (E) (EBAY)
KE4EX

Bought a TS-940SAT from Martin. It was as described, well packed and arrived safely. I recommend him.
2/18/2004. (A) (QTH)
AA1XX
Last edited by K4ICL on Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david kump

you decided on martin tippin

Post by david kump »

martin tippin just e-mailed me(4-18-04) after reading my feedback and said to send the radio back to avid as it would still be under warrenty. well when i bought the radio mr tippin said the auto tuner was repaired by them- nothing else..so right mr tippin i'll send the radio back to them and get a big estimate for repairs on the other problems and then really be screwed. how stupid does he think i am. dumb enough to be taken the first time i suppose but not again! how many of you would follow his directions? he said he's on a limited income and doesn't have the money to send me back. he's probably spent my money buying more junker ts-940's to resell! i sent him a nice email when i first got the radio telling him of the problems it had and that i had merely taken the bottom panel off to see if a plug had come loose in shipping. thats all i did and i was honest enough to tell him. his reply again " you took the panel off and now the radio is yours..bye." any decent ham would have represented the radio correctily in the first place and have made good on the deal. regardless of what mr tippin should say in his reply , if any, i would caution any of you to be very careful before you deal with him. i just hope the radio he sells you works. it may but if it doesn' your screwed! mr tippin is very cleaver trying to make the other guy out to be the bad one. yes mr tippin i have talked with others. i tell the truth. ie: contact wr0t or fishermanfred1@charter net.com. i have the facts mr tippin! all i know now is that i'm out $675 hard earned money and have nothing to show for it but a bumb ts-940s. again: BEWARE MARTIN TIPPIN..W0AKG! [/b]
KE3GK

Re: Dave's Feedback

Post by KE3GK »

W0AKG wrote: This Radio was sold and if he had not removed the bottom plate and called or Emailed me first, tthen hats a different story.
With every piece of gear that I purchase here, on QRZ or Ebay, I always make it a habit of opening up the case and inspecting it before I plug the thing in. This is just good - common sense. Case in point, I purchased a CNA-2002 antenna tuner a few months ago - in perfect condition. I opened up the case and noticed that the air capacitor had been fried - nice big hole in it. Lightning strike ? Not sure, but it would have been fun had I blindly plugged it in and tried to tune it.
david kump

w0akg update

Post by david kump »

martin has been working with me on the radio and he and avvid repair have said they will repair it at no charge to me. so i'm in the process of sending it back to avviid as i write. i'll keep the forum updated when i receive the radio back. i want to thank mr tippin and avvid for their help so far. sincerly..dave..
k8pcu

W0AKG

Post by k8pcu »

HAVE HAD MANY DEALINGS WITH MARTIN AND THIS IS JUST A PAT ON THE BACK...HE IS A GREAT GUY AND I RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE..
wr0t

To Set The Record Straight

Post by wr0t »

Martin said that Cliff stands behind his work which is fine.

However when I called Cliff on the phone he told me that he NEVER worked on the 930 that Martin pawned off on me as being "gone thru by Avid"

As I said before, He nailed me but never again nor will he nail anyone that I know.

Never again.... would I deal with him....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
wr0t

His 930's

Post by wr0t »

Well, since Cliff is closing Avvid down, I can't help but wonder who he will claim has "gone thru" his sale radios now.........

Who knows,?????

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
W0AKG

David Kump

Post by W0AKG »

He sent the 940 to Clif and it was returned in working condition at no charge to him.