Yaesu FT-60R Handheld Dual Band

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
AC2HQ

Yaesu FT-60R Handheld Dual Band

Post by AC2HQ »

Good Evening,
Does this dual band perform less than/equal to or better than dual bands of equal or higher price with the same power out?
Thanks,
John
Last edited by AC2HQ on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

John:

The distance depends on a number of factors.

Since VHF & UHF is "line of sight", if there are hills, tall buildings, etc between you and the repeater, then you can't "hit" the repeater regardless of how much power you're running. Believe me, my current qth is DEAD on 2-meter machines.

Factor in propagation. If you're up high enough and the 2-meter band is open, you can access repeaters 100's of miles away -- if you have the right access tone. From a condo about 400 feet up along the lake shore, I ONCE hit a repeater in Iowa and another time one on the peninsula across from Green Bay. PURE LUCK!

To improve the odds, use full power. The nature of FM is such that a receiver accepts the strongest signal within its bandpass and rejects all others. There's no listening "through" another signal with FM!

N9LCD
AC2HQ

Post by AC2HQ »

N9LCD wrote:
The distance depends on a number of factors.

Since VHF & UHF is "line of sight", if there are hills, tall buildings, etc between you and the repeater, then you can't "hit" the repeater regardless of how much power you're running. Believe me, my current qth is DEAD on 2-meter machines.

Factor in propagation. If you're up high enough and the 2-meter band is open, you can access repeaters 100's of miles away -- if you have the right access tone. From a condo about 400 feet up along the lake shore, I ONCE hit a repeater in Iowa and another time one on the peninsula across from Green Bay. PURE LUCK!

To improve the odds, use full power. The nature of FM is such that a receiver accepts the strongest signal within its bandpass and rejects all others. There's no listening "through" another signal with FM!

N9LCD
Good Morning,
Thank you very much for your response but I have to apoligize for the mis-understanding about how the question was written. Basically I was looking to find out if the capabilities of this dual band are less than/equal to/or better than that of a lesser/equal or more expensive rig with the same power out.
Again..I apoligize for the mis-leading question
John
k9yli

Post by k9yli »

A test would have to be run with the very same antenna.. such as a SuperStick II...(5/8ths stretched out. 1/4 wave collapsed.)
With equal power out, then the antenna makes the difference.

With using the same antenna, then the difference in the radios performance would be only in the receiver section..as power out would be equal..

Since usually an HT is not a fringe area or Dx ing radio,, the difference is
likely very minimum...
If required for fringe area or point to point,, then the difference maybe something
to be looked in to..
for the most part,, in HTs its a 'who cares'''
just get the prettiest one...