New Scam scheme - Jeff Easterly / Robert Musser

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w0bkr

New Scam scheme - Jeff Easterly / Robert Musser

Post by w0bkr »

I had an Ebay transaction with a Jeff Easterly and the recipient was Robert Musser (one in the same? hard to say),.

One was the "buyer" and the other was the recipient at least that is the story I had to work with. Basically, what the jist of the scheme was is this: this loser Jeff wanted something a bit newer, more pristine and so together, they fabricated the "shipper damage" story, knowing once the claim was filed with UPS by me, the item would be picked up, and upon completion, returned to them. He lied to UPS about the packing, withheld some of the packing material I had used to make it look like the shipper (me) did not package the item adequately.

In this instance, since he wanted his money back for an ebay contractual transaction, since it was stipulated up front, no refund, as is, no returns without Seller's approval, he was wanting to buy something he knew nothing about, got it and then decided he really wanted something else evidently.

Beware if either contacts you for a purchase, or a sale. Beware is all I can say. Will keep you posted when I get more info. I have all the proof to substantiate my info here if anyone is that interested in this saga.
Last edited by w0bkr on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KB3RPE

Re: New Scam scheme - Jeff Easterly / Robert Musser

Post by KB3RPE »

w0bkr wrote:I had an Ebay transaction with a Jeff Easterly and the recipient was Robert Musser (one in the same? hard to say)....
Thanks 4 the heads up!!!! IMHO, the moral of the story is... stay of Sleaze Bay (no slight to you) .....QTH, QRZ, EHAM et al, have their share of Aholes too, but I think, not nearly so many.......
Just my 2 ¢s........

[/b]
w0bkr

Post by w0bkr »

KB3RPE wrote:
w0bkr wrote:I had an Ebay transaction with a Jeff Easterly and the recipient was Robert Musser (one in the same? hard to say)....
Thanks 4 the heads up!!!! IMHO, the moral of the story is... stay of Sleaze Bay (no slight to you) .....QTH, QRZ, EHAM et al, have their share of Aholes too, but I think, not nearly so many.......
Just my 2 ¢s........

[/b][/quote

I totally agree. my first and last attempt at using an auction site...never again.]
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

You must be careful anytime you deal with people you know very little about. I have had very good results from ebay with over 1000 transactions.On the other hand , I have seen plenty of folks worked over right here at QTH . Based on that I would no more condemn all of ebay than all of QTH. By far, my worst experience with online buying was here on QTH . Thanks to Paypal however, even that one was resolved. That seller has earned some real poor feedback in the days after our encounter.

Paypal and Ebay will both offer assistance in resolving both buyer and seller issues. The parties involved also need to put forth some effort.
w0bkr

That would be preferred, but these two are beyond that...

Post by w0bkr »

kg8lb wrote:You must be careful anytime you deal with people you know very little about. I have had very good results from ebay with over 1000 transactions.On the other hand , I have seen plenty of folks worked over right here at QTH . Based on that I would no more condemn all of ebay than all of QTH. By far, my worst experience with online buying was here on QTH . Thanks to Paypal however, even that one was resolved. That seller has earned some real poor feedback in the days after our encounter.

Paypal and Ebay will both offer assistance in resolving both buyer and seller issues. The parties involved also need to put forth some effort.
My first encounter with Ebay and my last.
This bottom feeder wanted something nearly new. I advertised it as used, clean and working. Of course, jerks like this buy it, whine that it isn't up to their expectations (never bother to send the Seller a question up front or during the bidding), and then claim is wasn't as advertised because he finds one minor scratch. Ebay gets a dispute, I get my money pulled out of my bank account, and all the while, he pokes around inside the item without authorization so who knows what the condition is now.

Ebay doesn't protect the Sellers, that much I know, and they don't do a good job with Buyers either. I ollfered the ass some money back and he could keep the item as I have no use for it, but instead, lies about shipping damage which UPS told me they found none, and then makes a dispute it wasn't packed well when the "not as advertised" appears to not be holding water either.

I have bought stuff off ebay in error myself, very rarely, and ended up keeping the item and selling it on a swap board somewhere, and yeah, I lost a bit of money on it, but it was the honest and honorable thing to do, since I didn't pay close enough attention or ask the right question(s). This low life is beyond that. So, all I can say, is good bye Ebay/Pay Pal, not using you in the future if I can help it, and hello Craigslist.
KE3W

Re: That would be preferred, but these two are beyond that..

Post by KE3W »

Wow - I've heard that EBay doesn't protect Sellers, EBay doesn't protect Buyer's and the same with PayPal. Yet, thousands and thousands of happy transactions take place every week. Personally, I have over a 1,000 transactions with both and have only enountered one problem that was resolved. Now, if you think going to Cragslist is going to provide you better protection - well, you can start by looking at Craigslist Scams.
Last edited by KE3W on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

I am always a bit skeptical of sellers complaining over their perception that eBAy did not protect them. They start to sound a lot like N3DG and a few of the other "Iam fine , the world cheated me" dealers. There are two sides to each story . A common response from scammer sellers is to claim that they were the injured party.

Please note that I am not saying that is the case this time. Just saying that based on experience I would really need to hear from the other party .

In this case there seems to be a little contradiction that raises questions as well.
Quote W0BKR:
"My first encounter with Ebay and my last."
Followed by:
"I have bought stuff off ebay in error myself, very rarely, and ended up keeping the ..." The bottom line of course remains. There are MILLIONS of people who have had hundreds or even thousands of excellent eBay transactions. No need to condemn eBay .

We have a huge number of people here at QTH that have been relieved of considerable cash VIA money orders and checks. In the overwhelming majority of those cases Paypal would have recovered their funds.

Paypal is Enemy #1 of foiled scammers.
Last edited by kg8lb on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
w0bkr

Possibly

Post by w0bkr »

This was my first attempt to sell something on EScam and I run into two individuals that lie about an item I offered for sale, and now I have the money pulled from my bank account and nothing to show for it. Over a week and they are still screwing around. Pretty clear cut. They lied about false shipping damage because they wanted something different. Spoke to an Ebay Seller Store today and he too, confirmed that scam has been run on them too frequently. Have to document everything, before the sale, prior to packing, etc. Pretty sad. Should be a fairly simple method of selling but there are so many dishonest individuals out there....
w0bkr

Ripped off

Post by w0bkr »

Well, they lied successfully, and Escam gave them their money..now I am out of the funds and the item....

Beware of these individuals should they approach you on a swap forum...
w0bkr

Follow up...

Post by w0bkr »

Well has been weeks and the pair hasn't sent my item back.

I called Ebay and after some run around, I finally obtained someone in a Customer service role that admitted, they are trying to scam me, since they have been provided a UPS shipper label, which to date, they haven't shipped so they canceled/closed the case, sent me my money back. They can keep the item, shove it or whatever. I bent over backwards trying to make this work, and all the while, this pair was trying to rip off UPS, Me and likely Ebay.

It pays to be persistent. Oh, I am not using Ebay any more...finished with them and the scammers they seem to attract.
KE3W

Re: Follow up...

Post by KE3W »

w0bkr wrote:...I called Ebay and after some run around, I finally obtained someone in a Customer service role...
Super that you finally got to the right person at EBay to recover your funds. Now, for those that may have a problem - would you tell us how you got to the right person? Was it a separate number (not listed)?
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Hey, Why are you attributing this quote to me ? This is not even close to being mine.

Please remove my name from this quote immediately.
KE3W wrote:
kg8lb wrote:My first encounter with Ebay and my last...Ebay doesn't protect the Sellers, that much I know, and they don't do a good job with Buyers either...So, all I can say, is good bye Ebay/Pay Pal, not using you in the future if I can help it, and hello Craigslist.
quote] I did not originate the above comment. I have only quoted it.

I have returned ebay purchases twice out of 1000 plus transactions. In both cases Paypal required proof of return delivery (not just shipment,delivery !) to the seller before the buyer could be reimbursed. I doubt that part has changed. All of this makes me want to hear the other side of this story even more. These one sided tales of woe are often not at all as presented.
You got your money back so all is well. One must recognize there are certain risks in selling by remote control. Scammers lurk about on QTH as well. Check out the feedback some time along with all the people who used money orders and will likely NEVER see their money again. Or the fellows who consider the buyer's shipping payment as a side loan. They then spend it and delay shipping for weeks or months. The cover stoires run the gammut from "My wife was supposed to ship it" to "The Post office sent it back" All to buy time whilst the bottom feeder is trying to replace the funds he "borrowed"
When called for it , they can never seem to find the paper work to prove that is was shipped.
Yep there are a lot of scams everywhere. Ebay/Paypal are probably a lot safer than most other places, scammers seem to hate them both.

Don't like Paypal ? Check out money orders, scammers never refuse checks or money orders but they run from Paypal like Dracula avoids wooden stakes !
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

kg8lb wrote:Hey, Why are you attributing this quote to me ? This is not even close to being mine.

Please remove my name from this quote immediately.
Please accept my apologies (quote removed) - I don't know how I did that! I guess it was one of those senior moments. :D
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Thank you . No problem . Had me wondering as it seems we were pretty much eye to eye on the other stuff :wink:
w0bkr

Re: Follow up...

Post by w0bkr »

KE3W wrote:
w0bkr wrote:...I called Ebay and after some run around, I finally obtained someone in a Customer service role...
Super that you finally got to the right person at EBay to recover your funds. Now, for those that may have a problem - would you tell us how you got to the right person? Was it a separate number (not listed)?
Well I called their phone number (you have to dig around to find it) and they passed me along, along along and finally to someone I guess in their dispute department. I told them about the scam Easterly and Musser had going, the fact I don't have my item back, and since it was nearly a month, they figured too, they were both crooked. Not an easy process. I hate Escam. Don't think I will be using them ever again. First time, last time.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

w0bkr wrote:I had an Ebay transaction with a Jeff Easterly and the recipient was Robert Musser (one in the same? hard to say),.
What are their callsigns?

- Scott KA9FOX
w0bkr

Callsign:

Post by w0bkr »

KB6KPK

Sorry, the Jeff Easterly guy didn't have one. THought the call was in the posting. My mistake.
Hammyguy

Post by Hammyguy »

deleted