Kenwood TS-590 ?

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
n9vao

Kenwood TS-590 ?

Post by n9vao »

I have been thinking about getting a Kenwood TS-590 but now I have second thoughts about it.
Looking thru the ads here I have been seeing a lot of 590's for sale. Some say less then a month old. So my question is why so many for sale with this radio still new on the market? Why are people getting rid of them so soon after buying them?
Does anyone know of a reason why I should not get one?
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

Interesting...Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-590S shows a satisfaction ratio of 4.8 out of 5.
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

Thanks for letting me know about the reviews but I have already read them. I made the post here because I have never seen a certain radio being sold that is so new by so many as the 590. It just seems to me that if a new on the market radio is being sold by a lot of hams after having it for such a short time there mite be a problem with them.
W8YG

Post by W8YG »

Well I am sending my 590 back to kenwood. the transmit audio is terrible and it just doesnt get out. The alc is crazy peaking way over the the proper range.
I was going to sell it on here but then I found out it wasnt getting out.
I would rather junk it than do that to someone.
W6GQ

Post by W6GQ »

Some hams want to be "first on the block" to have the latest and greatest new toys.

Unfortunately myself included.

I get the radio, play with it awhile then another one shows up on the market, I sell one, buy the next new toy. I do lose some money, sorta, I consider it a rental fee when I sell the radio for less than a new one.

I have seen this with the TS-480 and the FT-450 lately as well

it's a sickness I say, a sickness!
W7PM

My TS-590 replaced my FT-1000 Mark V and my TS-2000

Post by W7PM »

My TS-590 replaced my aging FT-1000 Mark V and my TS-2000 rig (actually keeping the TS-2000 for VHF/UHF). The Mark V is of course almost 20 year old tech, but the TS-590 does an amazing job right out of the box.

I agree with many of the other posters that all new rigs have bugs, it's the nature of rigs today and yesterday.

Kenwoods easy Firmware update system via built in USB adapter have taken care of many of the very few problems folks have been having. Best of all, you are not 'lost or forgotton' by Kenwood support or the TS-590 community, they are here to help migrate through any issues you might run into.

But before we get to cuddely here,
In all honesty, the TS-590 is currently the best entry level HF/6 meter rig I have ever had the priviledge of owning.

I know of at least five other locals who own these radios and thusfar, not one has had any problems.

As with all radios, since they have been out now for over 9 months, if you are to buy one, try and grab a recent serial number rig from a big HAM Store to avoid a potentially older buggy rig (if they still exist).

I also agree with other posters on various groups/fourms who state that the number of buggy radios might be higher than normal, only due to the shear amount produced, sold and in actual operation. They are wildly popular right now.

Seriously, don't let the the few buggy radio reports scare you away, this is a great rig, in a decent price range and actually performs very well.