Buyer Precautions

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k4ws

Buyer Precautions

Post by k4ws »

I just recently bought a power supply off qth.com. I emailed the guy, and asked him how much to ship to my zip. I told him to weigh it as I had the same exact supply and actually called UPS affiiliate in my town my self and told them his ziip and the weight and all dimensions. I told them to figure their box ground. His shipping figure was very inflated when he got back. He wanted a US Postal MO. No problem here on that. I asked him in about 3 quick emails, since he wasn't replying timely, if it was in good condition and would be guaranteed not to be doa.

He finally did that. I clearly asked him not to ship USPS as I had equipment severely damged by them. I asked for UPS or Fedex ground. and to please
send the tracking number. He got my money order 5-14-11. I have been sending him emails about every 2 days to get the nr. he promised after saying he would ship it Monday, May 16. No response for days and then after I inquired again, he said he had been in the hospital and that I had called him a scammer and he wasn't and would get it out the very next day. Look clearly at the days, I am mentioning. I told him I was sorry about his health problems and I had some, too, but I had not called him a scammer. I asked him to reply after repeated requests and told him that there were scammers that visited trading sites and I was anxious to know my tracking number.

I have sent several email with no response, even looked in his newspaper for
obituaries. I care! I asked him to call me and gave my phone nr. His was disconnected when I tried to call him. He did respond with his "no spammer"
deal that he never used that phone. I again asked him, I think again, to use UPS please.

Today, I received a box on my porch. A 24 can box of soup would have been
sturdier. The box had absolutely nothing for packing but newspapers with its
thin walls. My wife had told me to look out the window after getting back from
a visitation to a church friend's wake. I looked out the window and lost my train
of thought. I was sick! I knew immediately it had come postal service.

I opened the box and found the newspapers only as packing. The top of the case looks like it has been used by the road department when they use salt
on snow. Very corrosive. There were two very obvious dents in the top 2 front
corners and one meter was slightly loose. I took many pictures of the supply.

I am letting it warm up and checking it out before putting under load. I will only
say this was an Astron supply. I won't divulge who I traded with. I just want this to be a helpful lesson to all buying. I quickly took the first ad with my want and could see another one. The seller claimed he had spent extra shipping money out of his own pocket to get it to me quickly. Sat. May 14 recv'd my mo,
today Monday, May 23rd reception of damaged goods.

Make sure you get someone with a phone number. Make sure they agree in writing to ship the way you ask. He knew the condition and evidently could afford to take the bite that USPS charges for a sorry customer wrapped box.
UPS ground would have already been here and if damaged, I would have insurance but they wouldn't cover what I am seeing. I am going to live with this
trade if it works when I hook the load to it. Just a warning to all. BE CAREFUL,
and to the gentleman that sold it to me, have a good day, and no one but me
will know your identity. Thanks Scott for this forum and sorry to be so lengthy.
Wayland k4ws By the way, I ordered a pressure washer from Chicago ground and it was here in 3 days last week. :)
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

Appreciate the heads up but a call sign of the person you had this transaction with is really necessary. Most of what you stated has been said many times already on here.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Yes, this is the FEEDBACK forum. If you want to talk about general trading tips, or shipping tips, we have different forums for those.

What we really want to know is who did this, and what the final results were after you contacted the party to discuss and resolve.

- Scott KA9FOX
kg4mlo

Post by kg4mlo »

How come so many "HAMS" end up in the hospital after cashing the money order?? I did not realize this radio hobby was so toxic.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

How are you helping other Hams when your not saying who the presumed bad guy is.
Larry Huff K0pd
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

IMHO - I bet k4ws wanted to "blow off some steam" and also keep the door open for a happy ending. If he lists the seller - he will no doubt piss him (or her) off and never recover a penny. You've seen it here - you complain about a seller - the seller cops and attitude - and good luck getting your money back. I bet k4ws will come back with the "dirty culpurt callsign" when all door's have been closed for fund recovery. Like I said - IMHO!
dennis robert

Post by dennis robert »

This topic leads directly to my question: Should you post about a transaction that had issues that could not be resolved, but resulted in the return of the money??

For example, I recently purchased an item from QTH and paid promptly via PayPal. After a few days, I was told the item was shipped. 2 weeks of waiting and I still had not received the item. I send another email, and I am informed that the seller was sick and that the item was shipped that day. So far, I really don't have an issue.

Yesterday, I find another QTH ad for the item I bought, by the same seller! I sent an email to the seller, and asked what was going on. How could he have shipped my item, and yet was relisting it on QTH?

I asked for tracking numbers or refund of my funds.

My money has been refunded, along within an explanation of an inadvertent double selling. Again, I don't have an issue; stuff happens.

The item bought, and the seller's ID are not important right now, for my purposes; I received a refund.

But, is this something that you would report on this forum? It wasn't a good sale, but it wasn't a bad sale either.

Dennis Robert
W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

dennis robert wrote:This topic leads directly to my question: Should you post about a transaction that had issues that could not be resolved, but resulted in the return of the money??

The item bought, and the seller's ID are not important right now, for my purposes; I received a refund.

But, is this something that you would report on this forum? It wasn't a good sale, but it wasn't a bad sale either.

Dennis Robert
Dennis, whether or not to make a post about any deal is strictly up to the buyer / seller.
However, if a post is made in the Feedback Forum, all parties should be identified by name/call.
The purpose of this forum is to alert others about a good/bad deal, but there are those that just want to vent and use vague references which doesn't really help anyone.
Let's not abuse the forums that Scott has provided for us by skirting the intended purpose of said forums.
Phil - W4AIN
On The Air Communications
www.w4ain.com