Shipping Overseas Issues- Russia?

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.
Robert27329

Shipping Overseas Issues- Russia?

Post by Robert27329 »

I have never have shipped overseas before, is this more trouble than its worth especially electronics. Anyone with experience doing this?
Thanks,
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

Although not to Russia, I have shipped to Georgia (not the US version), Estonia, and other EU countries. I have had no problems but always packed it securely and used air delivery. It costs a little more but is months quicker. I would probably not send a mega-buck transciever but have sent transcievers, amplifiers, and other large items as well as smaller ones without problem. I think the key is in the packaging and shipping methods.
Alcortje

Overseas shipping

Post by Alcortje »

I have shipped to South America, France, Canada, Norway, Denmark, and Indonesia amongst other places. Never shipped to Russia. Always have shipped Air Parcel Post. Still takes a long time in my opinion. I have found you can't track anything for the most part once it leave the Postal Monkey. Never had to file an insurance claim but I bet it wouldn't pan out on an overseas shipment.

A lot of guys want you to "help them out" on the customs declaration. It's a tax thing and it can hit them pretty hard. False declarations can lead to criminal penalties for both parties. Sign that declaration carefully.

Customs can hang you up forever it seems. Had a tube go to Britian and customs held it for four weeks before the ham there ever got it. Worst part was that it took ten days to get there and Customs holds it for four weeks....arrgghh.

You can get people that want it yesterday but know it's going to take up to six weeks for delivery. You have to reasure them that you're doing the right thing. I wouldn't send out anything that you can't afford to lose. I would only accept a Western Union Moneygram. Cash up front no Paypal on an overseas transaction.

Just my two cents worth...

Cheers & 73 de N0SWV Jesse
Cheers & 73 de N0SWV

Jesse J. Alcorta
K9XR

Re: Overseas shipping

Post by K9XR »

Air Parcel Post hasn't been around for a couple of years. As far as I know there is Priority International mail, Express Mail International, And Global Express Mail Guaranteed. For very small packages there is First Class International Mail. The post office is still the least expensive way to ship overseas, but it still can be pretty costly, especially for larger or heavier parcels. There are also different size, weight limits, and value limits for different countries.

Alcortje wrote:I have shipped to South America, France, Canada, Norway, Denmark, and Indonesia amongst other places. Never shipped to Russia. Always have shipped Air Parcel Post. Still takes a long time in my opinion. I have found you can't track anything for the most part once it leave the Postal Monkey. Never had to file an insurance claim but I bet it wouldn't pan out on an overseas shipment.

A lot of guys want you to "help them out" on the customs declaration. It's a tax thing and it can hit them pretty hard. False declarations can lead to criminal penalties for both parties. Sign that declaration carefully.

Customs can hang you up forever it seems. Had a tube go to Britian and customs held it for four weeks before the ham there ever got it. Worst part was that it took ten days to get there and Customs holds it for four weeks....arrgghh.

You can get people that want it yesterday but know it's going to take up to six weeks for delivery. You have to reasure them that you're doing the right thing. I wouldn't send out anything that you can't afford to lose. I would only accept a Western Union Moneygram. Cash up front no Paypal on an overseas transaction.

Just my two cents worth...

Cheers & 73 de N0SWV Jesse
eric

Post by eric »

I dont want to deal with the customs so thats why i only sell CONUS.
If someone is in Ak or Hi id ship to them as long as they are footing the shipping bill.
K9FON
No BS ham radio for me. I don't play ham politics, i.e. code/no code, Cb vs Ham, ect, ect.