Lighted meters Astron Power Supply

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
W8FCD

Lighted meters Astron Power Supply

Post by W8FCD »

I have two new lighted meters for the RS-35M power supply which will replace the original non-lighted meters. I would like to know if 12 volt bulbs are used and if so, can they be connected directly to the lighted "On-Off" rocker-type power switch for quick and easy soldering. Tnx. W8FCD spz1@att.net
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

Until someone pipes in with a solution - I found some interesting threads on the RS-35M...

Meter lights on some Astron models!

Replace Astron RM-35M Meter Lamps With LED's
W8FCD

Post by W8FCD »

Let me qualify an error. Shortly after my initial posting, I caught an error, I realized I mentioned the possibility of wiring the bulbs to the "ON-Off" rocker switch -- that switch is wired to the 110 volt supply which obviously would "blow" the 24 volt bulbs!

There are a few articles where users have used LED's with great success. However, after further checking directly with Astron, I learned that the bulbs in their new meters are 24-volt, and are connected to the 20-volt source inside the power supply. I initially connected them to the regulated 13-volt source but that's not nearly enought to properly light the bulbs -- they were much too dim. Despite 20-volts for the 24-volt bulbs, several Astron owners claimed the bulbs were burning out much too soon.

After further checking with Astron directly, I decided to insert a 1-watt, 20-ohm resistor in the line and use the 20-volt source. This should light the bulbs properly and lengthen their life span.