Anyone had any dealings with N4TOK?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
wd4ohm

Anyone had any dealings with N4TOK?

Post by wd4ohm »

I sent him an postal money order and he acknowledged he got it on the 5th of Janurary and would ship the switch the next day. I have not received the switch and he won't answer emails and his phone goes to voicemail. He has alot of items for sale on QTH. I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with him before? He won't answer any of my emails or phone calls.
kc2yxq

n4tok I have the same problem with him

Post by kc2yxq »

I also sent him money for an ameritron 811 said he got the money and was going to ship and that is the last I heard from him . I also tried calling no response
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

Here is what I found on him and everything I found is available on the Internet:

Christopher L Davenport
108 Aaron Drive
SHAWBORO, NC 27973
(252) 336-4873

Davenport's previous call sign was: KJ4IZS

On QRZ Forums - 12-30-2009 he states his email as: n4tok@arrl.com

On QRZ Forums - 09-08-2009 he states his email as: N4TOK@ARRL.NET

On QRZ Forums - 01-31-2009 he states his email as: davenportc79@yahoo.com

QTH Contact This Person - 12/26/10 (ALINCO DR-570 DUAL BANDER NICE) it shows for N4TOK: 910-750-2614
QTH Contact This Person - 12/26/10 (D-104 MIC TUG9 NICE) it shows for N4TOK: 910-750-2614

Now, Area Code 910-750 is a landline located out of Jacksonville, NC.

OMG - I really do have to get a life!
wd4ohm

Just thoughts

Post by wd4ohm »

Well since I work in Public Safety in my city I contacted our local Law Enforcment and the Captain told me he would send info I gave him to the local authorities where Chris is suppose to live. Hopefully they will pay him a visit and find out what is going on! I will post any info I get on here. I would be very careful of any dealings with Chris!!!! He has alot of stuff listed on QTH.
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

Wonder if this is the same person North Carolina Department Of Correction (Public Information) - CHRISTOPHER L DAVENPORT
wd4ohm

Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Post by wd4ohm »

Well I have had numerous transactions on QTH and all but two have went off without an issue. The strange part is that both of the people lived in North Carolina. The first traded me a Clipperton L amp that was not at all what he said and now the switch. Just strange that both live in that state. At any rate I still have faith in QTH and by and large alot of men and women of outstanding character deal on this site. Just when you have one bad apple tends to leave a bad taste in your mouth! I firmly believe that what goes around comes around. I just hope he does not continue to take advantage of other hams on this or any other site.
kk9a

Re: Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Post by kk9a »

wd4ohm wrote:Well I have had numerous transactions on QTH and all but two have went off without an issue. The strange part is that both of the people lived in North Carolina. The first traded me a Clipperton L amp that was not at all what he said and now the switch. Just strange that both live in that state. At any rate I still have faith in QTH and by and large alot of men and women of outstanding character deal on this site. Just when you have one bad apple tends to leave a bad taste in your mouth! I firmly believe that what goes around comes around. I just hope he does not continue to take advantage of other hams on this or any other site.
I think that there are also some honest hams in NC :)

John KK9A / 4
wd4ohm

Apology to North Carolina Hams

Post by wd4ohm »

I did not in any way mean to imply that hams in North Carolina were not honest! I just simply found it strange that both times I have had an issue it was by hams in that state. I sincerly apologize to any that I have offended.
Back to the matter at hand. I went to the post office and I have paid to have the postal money order traced. With any luck Chris deposited it into his bank account. That will give me a good place to start looking. They also informed me that since I sent a postal money order I could fill out paper work for mail fraud. So once I get conformation I will be doing that as well. My local law enforcement wants the copies of the postal money order to forward to and help locate Chris so the law enforcement can proceed trying to resolve this issue. I will keep this updated as I get more info!
Once again I do apologize to anyone I offend with my previous post!
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

If you look at his QRZ profile you will see that he has listed a ham operator as his best friend. I did a quick lookup of his friends call sign on Echolink and sure enough his friend is running an active Echolink repeater in New York. Maybe you should contact him and see what is going on with this guy. He may be able to shed some light on this.
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
kc4qlp

Post by kc4qlp »

KA2CDT wrote:If you look at his QRZ profile you will see that he has listed a ham operator as his best friend. I did a quick lookup of his friends call sign on Echolink and sure enough his friend is running an active Echolink repeater in New York. Maybe you should contact him and see what is going on with this guy. He may be able to shed some light on this.

It has come to light that various individuals are having an issue with a ham radio operator in North Carolina that has me noted on his QRZ page. I no longer have any associations with N4TOK. Contacting me will not yield much more than this from some issues I have had with him over the last year. Last summer he left his wife. His address that is currently on file with the FCC is not his current address. The last I had heard is that he lives in a trailer park near the South Mills Supermarket in South Mills N.C. I would suggest to anyone that has had or is currently having issues with CHRIS DAVENPORT, N4TOK, to contact the Camden County Sheriff Department in Camden County North Carolina at 252-338-5046 or via email: Tony Perry at, tperry@camdencountync.gov. Also for those that buy and sell on ebay, be on the lookout for ebay ID: davenportc79 THAT IS N4TOK. BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!! I wish I could offer more information than this but I hope it is a start for those that are having dealings with N4TOK.

Good luck and 73!
wd4ohm

Update

Post by wd4ohm »

I got the conformation from the post office today that in fact Chris Davenport did get the payment and deposited it into a bank account. I am forwarding this to the local authorities in his area. Any interested he has his phone number on money order as 910-?50-2614. I have sent a request to the post office to try and verify the first number. So now we know he got the money for the item and has not shipped it and does not answer any emails or phone calls! Please share this with anyone thinking about purchasing any equipment. With any luck he will get to spend some much needed time in jail.
kc2yxq

He finally shipped it

Post by kc2yxq »

He finally shipped it !. He shipped it with the tubes in it and they came broken . I put new tubes in it and it worked fine. I have been using it for a few days now with out any problems. I used the advice in this forum and contacted the Camden County Sheriff Office in N.C. .Detective Robertson was assigned to this issue. I am extremely grateful to him and his agency for their prompt, courteous, professional help .I am certain that without their assistance he would not have ever shipped it . NICE JOB!!
Last edited by kc2yxq on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

FInally, at least one happy ending!