WATCH OUT FOR THIS TYPE OF SCAM

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
N9LCD

WATCH OUT FOR THIS TYPE OF SCAM

Post by N9LCD »

Lately things have been a little slow and boring. NO FUN!

Then I get this response to my "Wanted" ad on QTH:

The response is from:

Name: Jose Salvador
Callsign: EA6BC
E-mail: jose.salvador58@gmail.com

The response is:

How you still interested,I have it still in good working condition and in perfect order. Good price is accepted, if you are interested in buying from me. Let me know your price as well as the your shipping contact address for shipping to your home. And i will get back to you with details. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards

Jose Salvador
Address
GARCIA DE LA VEGA.
Pujol.9-11
ALARÓ-Mallorca-Balearic
Island-SPAIN.

And here's my reply:

> Jose:
>
>

Which one do you have? The 181TR or the 181TR?

Please email me a photo of the display unit so I know what we're talking about. Your English isn't so precise and accurate.

Also please email me a picture of yourself holding the local newspaper dated 4 December 2010. I want to know who I'm dealing with. I have to be really careful; there's so many scammers out there!

73!

Let's see how long I can keep this one going!

N9LCD

:twisted:
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

That's a little over the top. No, it is actually a LOT over the top. Jose, EA6BC, is a long-time ham and is well respected throughout the amateur community. Shame on you.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

K4KK, this was posted in the Safe Trading Tips for good reason -- this is clearly NOT Jose EA6BC posting the message, but some scammer pretending to be him.

Generally, these guys are trying to pull the Cashier's Check scam. They will send you a check LARGER than the amount owed you, and ask you to cash the check and send the extra money to a "friend" that they owe money to.

Then the bank calls you and says your check is bad, and you are out the money, and perhaps also your equipment.

- Scott
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

Ah... the light becomes brighter. The name, address, etc all are genuine and I assumed that if it was his address, it was him. Ooooooops. I suppose shame on me might be appropriate.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Well, you know... I have to say I have never seen a scam where the scammer puts the REAL address in the email. Now I have the feeling that this is NOT a scam!

I have seen the cashier's check scam so many times, and this is nearly a duplicate... but as I examine it closer... I am now thinking this is actually a legitimate request from EA6BC!

- Scott
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Scott:

My ad is "WANTED" not "FOR SALE".

I was looking for a used, operational HP 181TR or a 181T display unit. He doesn't say which unit is offered.

I asked for the price of the unit including packing and insured shipping. No price!

I said "CONUS SELLERS ONLY". No comment on this one.

If the response had said which 181 was available, I would have ignored it. The response doesn't meet two of my criteria.

But this one sounded too much like the classic "I got the item" scam.

And, yes, I've has a response from a scammer who hijacked the call and address of a UK ham. The phone number in the response was the giveaway!

N9LCD
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Comparing this email to some other confirmed scam emails... and I see that sometimes the scammer really does use the real mailing address of the callsign holder.

SO... after further review... I now believe this really was a scam, and for sure not by EA6BC.

Good call, Jerry.

- Scott