W5KBI - Steve Albright - packing issue

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kf7lue

W5KBI - Steve Albright - packing issue

Post by kf7lue »

Bought his used Yaesu 857d - paid asking price + shipping + insurance + paypal fee. It was shipped only in original equipment box and the post office gorilla did the samsonite number on it, had a large hole in box with radio power cable sticking out. W5KBI didn't/hasn't responded to emails about shipping damage, and the radio will go in to repair shop for check before operating on hf (and its my bill).

Probably want/need to do the check anyway since its used but why would someone not double box a precise electronic item? Rhetorical question, anyway if you deal with him, ask him to double box gear before shipping.
K4ICL

It gos farther...

Post by K4ICL »

You paid with PayPal. Under their new customer protection policy you might be able have PayPal persuade the seller to pay for any damage. Put in a claim and find out.

The seller who sells and ship items on the Internet is ALWAYS totally responsible for getting sold items to the buyer in the same condition as when sold. This means if the packing is poorly done, it is the sellers obligation to make restitution.
kf7lue

Re: It gos farther...and it will

Post by kf7lue »

K4ICL wrote:You paid with PayPal. Under their new customer protection policy you might be able have PayPal persuade the seller to pay for any damage. Put in a claim and find out.

The seller who sells and ship items on the Internet is ALWAYS totally responsible for getting sold items to the buyer in the same condition as when sold. This means if the packing is poorly done, it is the sellers obligation to make restitution.
Thanks for the advice K4ICL. I will follow up with paypal.

And this is my informal hello to QTH.com. A great amateur radio forum - can't agree more with thread talking about the outrageous prices for used gear, as a deterrent for bringing in new hams. Good people here and I'm looking forward to meeting them on the ether.
WA5JAV

Radio Prices

Post by WA5JAV »

My concern is new radio prices. Too complicated with many features seldom needed or used. Few Hams can afford a $14,000.00 radio and $8,000.00 amplifier.
K4ICL

Huh?

Post by K4ICL »

What in the world do prices have to do with this topic?

K4ICL
kf7lue

Re: Huh?

Post by kf7lue »

K4ICL wrote:What in the world do prices have to do with this topic?

K4ICL
Absolutely nothing! I opened my mouth and now look what's happened. Sorry.
WA5JAV

Radio Prices

Post by WA5JAV »

My post is in support of this post

"Thanks for the advice K4ICL. I will follow up with paypal. And this is my informal hello to QTH.com. A great amateur radio forum - can't agree more with thread talking about the outrageous prices for used gear, as a deterrent for bringing in new hams. Good people here and I'm looking forward to meeting them on the ether."

Do you see what my post has to do with the topic now?

Do you also believe the new radio gear is to keep new hams out?

Some of you are far too sensitive to topic.
K4ICL

Re: high prices.

Post by K4ICL »

Do you also believe the new radio gear is to keep new hams out?
Not really, Any motivated ham can acquire top of the line older gear, for example the Kenwood TS-830SAT and the like, at very reasonable prices. My favorite is the IC-735, probably one of the best ham radio values on the planet at about $300. If $300 is too high and keeps some from entering the hobby there are other good options.

High prices are not keeping any one out of the hobby. Laziness, low motivation, gotta-have-it-now attitudes may be what's keeps them out. I would be willing to change my mind on this but you will need to guarantee me I won't see another "Extra Class" ham asking how to wire a microphone for his rig."

AL
kb5pn

Post by kb5pn »

K4ICL wrote:
Laziness, low motivation, gotta-have-it-now attitudes may be what's keeps them out. I would be willing to change my mind on this but you will need to guarantee me I won't see another "Extra Class" ham asking how to wire a microphone for his rig."

AL
Or "How do I make a dipole" or my favorite..."How much coax do I need to reach my antenna?" :roll:
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

kb5pn wrote:Or "How do I make a dipole" or my favorite..."How much coax do I need to reach my antenna?" :roll:
I see your "antenna and coax", and raise you with "My FL-2100B is wired for 220.. since I only have 110 in the shack, I gotta sell the amp.. My loss is your gain"

:roll: :roll:

KM5FL
N6VMO

Post by N6VMO »

kf7lue

And Paypal says

Post by kf7lue »

that seller shipping stupidity isn't a recourse for getting fees back to have the equipment checked out by a reputable technician. What paypal did say-We have concluded our investigation into this case. Unfortunately, at this
time we are unable to decide this claim in your favor. Now lets see what the post office says.
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

I am finding more and more that some sellers simply don't know how to pack.

[I recently purchased an old Dentron SuperTuner. It was tossed into a box full of packing peanuts. At least everything is still in there, but it will need some repair work to be fully & safely operational again.]

I hope this is a sign of people who mean well and don't know better, rather than laziness or greed -- I don't mind paying for shipping to make sure the item is packed right. I do mind paying that fee and then getting a box that's packaged... poorly.
kf7lue

Post by kf7lue »

I hope this is a sign of people who mean well and don't know better, rather than laziness or greed -- I don't mind paying for shipping to make sure the item is packed right. I do mind paying that fee and then getting a box that's packaged... poorly.[/quote]

I'm not sure what it is a sign of and certainly am not going to spend time figuring that one out. I paid to have it packed properly and it was insured and always do. Box is damaged common sense says to have a piece of electronic equipment checked out by a qualified technician (which I'm not) . I pay for that and want to be reimbursed. Seller says that he won't reimburse for that, paypal says that they won't make seller pay for that. Not bitter just want to be reimbursed for having radio checked out. Sounds reasonable to me.