N1EQ

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kd5ezr

N1EQ

Post by kd5ezr »

I have an icom 756pro with rf overload issues. I realized this when I visited his repair web site. I wrote him in hopes of him performing repairs to my radio and complimented him on his site. He sent me back a reply asking me for more details about my rig to which I answered. I then sent him back a note asking for his address and shipping details. When I received no response I inquired again and received a note stating "we cannot do business." I dont usually badmouth anyone because Im not that kind of guy, but for the life of me I cannot understand what I may have done to deserve a reponse like that. I ended up sending my rig to icom. I have used them before with great results. Maybe I caught this guy in a bad mood or something. kd5ezr
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

Well your shack looks neat as a pin so messiness cannot be the problem. Maybe he is a GM kind of guy? :D
Who knows why, I gave up trying to figure people out a long time ago.
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
kd5ezr

n1eq

Post by kd5ezr »

Im not trying to badmouth him just dont really understand the response about fixing my radio. Maybe he doesnt want the business or had me confused with someone.
N1EQ

Post by N1EQ »

That's not quite what happened. He didn't compliment me on my website at all. And he didn't ask the questions as he claims here. And he wasn't exactly the polite person he portrays himself to be.

But I responded anyway, asking for more details. And I asked if he read my policies, and understood how I conduct business. And it became apparent he did not care about or respect the way I run my business (which is clearly spelled out on my website). So I bluntly told him, "We can't do business". Then he threatened to do some "blogging" about me.

In summary, I didn't like his attitude. And I reserve the right to refuse a potential customer if I want to. And I see I made the right choice in this case.

Mike - N1EQ
www.n1eq.com
KA9FOX
Site Admin

N1EQ

Post by KA9FOX »

I had an absolutely fantastic experience getting my IC-746 repaired by N1EQ.

I very much liked the fact that he has specific steps to take, in order to get a quote, have the repair done and for shipping arrangements. Everything is above board, fully documented and done in a way that insures the radio arrives when it needs to be, in good condition, is promptly and correctly repaired, and arrives back at your QTH safely.

I would not want it any other way.

I wrote more about this experience in my posting here:
http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=6335

I would do business again with N1EQ in a heartbeat, and I have recommended his repair services to many others as well.

73 - Scott KA9FOX
kd5ezr

N1EQ

Post by kd5ezr »

I disagree - but i do have the correspondance to prove it. If anyone is interested - I would be happy to send. I would just like to specifically know what business policy of his that I didnt respect. We are talking about 3 emails counting mine and his. The question is - is that how you treat new potential customers? I have many ham friends and I have showed this correspondance with them. - they cant believe it either. How was I dis-respectful. My emails started with compliments about his site - I can post them here if that is ok? I work for the largest company in the world am I am proud we do not treat customers that way.

Brent
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Why not post the E Mails here so we can decide who said what to who. Right now it is a he said i said situation . Right now the ball is in your court as it looks like the person your giving a bad report disagrees with your version of events and according to Scott whom we all trust this person is a very decent person and good tech.
Larry Huff K0pd
kd5ezr

read from Bottom up - nothing deleted for your viewing

Post by kd5ezr »

Date: November 3, 2010 11:43:14 AM CDT
To: "mike@n1eq.com" <mike>
Subject: Re: IC-7x6PRO KD5EZR

What does that mean? Ok I'll go elsewhere. I thought you worked on the pro.

Date: November 3, 2010 11:41:04 AM CDT
To: Brent Kinstler <kinstlerbrent>
Reply-To: mike@n1eq.com

No, we can't do business.

Mike Nadeau - N1EQ
www.n1eq.com

FR: Brent Kinstler
e@n1eq.com" <mike>

Could I speak with you about doing repairs? That's normally the way I do business. I would like to send it to you but if it's not necessary that would help. It's a 756 pro. The damage appears on the right top board toward the back. Several small diodes? seem to be charred. I have an array solutions six pack dual antenna switch. The switch box allows the user to use two radios with a selection of antennas. This 756 was on but not in operation. I was running another amp on another radio that evidently had a bad jumper and was causing very bad rf. I found the rf source and then noticed the pros receive was out. The transmit seems to be fine. I was wondering should I send the whole radio back or just the board. I would like it fixed soon and liked your rf overload mod. Please advise because I would like to ship somewhere soon

Brent

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 3, 2010, at 9:17 AM, "mike@n1eq.com" <mike> wrote:

Brent,

Is your rig a 746pro or 756pro?
What are the symptoms that led you to discover the circuit damage? There could be components on the RF board that were also affected.
Has anyone attempted repairs?
Have you reviewed my website and policies? I have a pretty particular way of doing business.

Mike Nadeau - N1EQ
www.n1eq.com

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Brent Kinstler <Brent_Kinstler> wrote:

Mike -

I have a pro and read your article about rf overload. I just had that exact situation happen. The board is charred but not as damaged as the one in your picture. Do I need to send the whole radio in or can I just send in the board to have fixed?

Brent
kd5ezr
kd5ezr

qrz -

Post by kd5ezr »

I tried to post a comment about this on QRZ and evidently the moderator knows this individual and keeps pulling my ads. I thought they were unbiased. Just sharing my experience thats all.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

N1EQ's website is pretty clear about his policies:

http://n1eq.com/main/page_rates__policies.html
This is an internet-based business.
Email is the primary and preferred method of contact.
I do not conduct business by phone, fax, or mail.
Phone consultation is available to established customers only.
I don't want to speak for N1EQ, but it would seem that your persistence of wanting a phone consultation about your radio is what made him decide to skip working with you.

Per your email, "Could I speak with you about doing repairs? That's normally the way I do business"

Per his web site "I do not conduct business by phone, fax, or mail."

It sounds like you guys were not meant to do business. Why not just find another repair shop that you can have phone consultations with and move on?

Just my opinion.

- Scott
kd5ezr

I Agree

Post by kd5ezr »

If actually speaking to your tech is important to you before giving him money - I highly recommend ICOM America. No more from me - Brent
N1EQ

Post by N1EQ »

To put this all in perspective, please refer to these links:
Here is my article he is referring to: http://www.n1eq.com/tech/page_02.html
Here is the main page of my website, clearly listing my policies: http://www.n1eq.com/
Here is the page explaining how I conduct business, step by step: http://www.n1eq.com/main/page_contact.html

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Brent Kinstler <Brent_Kinstler> wrote:
Mike -

I have a pro and read your article about rf overload. I just had that exact situation happen. The board is charred but not as damaged as the one in your picture. Do I need to send the whole radio in or can I just send in the board to have fixed?

Brent
kd5ezr

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:17 AM, "mike@n1eq" <mike> wrote:

Brent,

Is your rig a 746pro or 756pro?
What are the symptoms that led you to discover the circuit damage? There could be components on the RF board that were also affected.
Has anyone attempted repairs?
Have you reviewed my website and policies? I have a pretty particular way of doing business.

Mike Nadeau - N1EQ
www.n1eq.com

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 10:46 AM , Brent Kinstler <kinstlerbrent> wrote:
Could I speak with you about doing repairs? That's normally the way I do business. I would like to send it to you but if it's not necessary that would help. It's a 756 pro. The damage appears on the right top board toward the back. Several small diodes? seem to be charred. I have an array solutions six pack dual antenna switch. The switch box allows the user to use two radios with a selection of antennas. This 756 was on but not in operation. I was running another amp on another radio that evidently had a bad jumper and was causing very bad rf. I found the rf source and then noticed the pros receive was out. The transmit seems to be fine. I was wondering should I send the whole radio back or just the board. I would like it fixed soon and liked your rf overload mod. Please advise because I would like to ship somewhere soon

Brent

At this point, I'm thinking it wasn't good enough that I freely share repair tips on my website, but I have to waste time consulting with him on the phone about it, when it clearly states on my website that I do not conduct business by phone. But before I get a chance to reply, in less than two hours, I get this email:

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Brent Kinstler <kinstlerbrent> wrote:
Do I send the radio?

So obviously he is impatient and doesn't care about how I run my business (scheduled shipments, with repairs done on an appointment basis). So I bluntly sent my last response:

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:41 PM, "mike@n1eq" <mike> wrote:

No, we can't do business.

Mike Nadeau - N1EQ
www.n1eq.com

On Nov 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Brent Kinstler <kinstlerbrent> wrote:
What does that mean? Ok I'll go elsewhere. I thought you worked on the pro.

Here is where he threatens to "blog' about me:

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Brent Kinstler <kinstlerbrent> wrote:
Man I got to ask cause I just have to know - was something said wrong or you don't like what you read? Is my diagnosis bad? This has been a little strange. I would like to know because I love to blog.

Have a nice day

And I'm not sure what this is all about:

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Brent Kinstler <kinstlerbrent> wrote:
If this continues I will have a site domain created with all email correspondence on display for the public to decide. If your going to respond or have people write me show them

Bottom line: I decided not to do business with the guy. So now he's got a vendetta against me.

Mike - N1EQ
kj4eds

Post by kj4eds »

kj4eds Dale

as for my opinion i wouldnt send a 1000 $ radio to any
one with out phone number and a talk on the phone but
there are suckers born every minute sound like a scam to me
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

kj4eds wrote:kj4eds Dale

as for my opinion i wouldnt send a 1000 $ radio to any
one with out phone number and a talk on the phone but
there are suckers born every minute sound like a scam to me
Yep, real scam there. 5 out of 5 rating on eHam reviews, with 180 reviews.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5640

Keeping communications to email documents everything, and allows the technician to work without being interrupted.

Scam?

- Scott
kj4eds

Post by kj4eds »

kj4eds Dale

scott i wonder why you are intent on defending this man.
i thought you own the site here shouldnt you be out of it
he may be the best tech there is but if you cant talk to some
one .then in my opinion there must be deeper issues at play
i would not and will not do biz that way

but we all have issues dont we whats yours

thanks Dale kj4eds
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

kj4eds wrote:kj4eds Dale

scott i wonder why you are intent on defending this man.
i thought you own the site here shouldnt you be out of it
I am a ham radio operator, and a user of the site, and I had a great experience with N1EQ's service.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You posted yours, I posted mine.

- Scott
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

For me, email over phone calls would be best. I forget things people tell me on the phone. I can always refer back to an email, or letter, text message......
Steve - KA9MOT
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

I had a problem with my Icom 746. It seemed that this fellow was the "go to" guy for Icom repairs. I sent him 2 e-mails inquiring about availablity of parts and a possible repair of my radio. I received no replies to either e-mail. At least this fellow got a response from this fellow as undersireable as it may be. I got no response at all. I certainly was dissapointed since his reputation indicated that I might have been able to get my radio fixed. I wish I knew why I did not get a response from him. Lou
donate life
KB2VYZ

Mike, N1EQ

Post by KB2VYZ »

For those of you that choose to badmouth Mike, having never dealt with him, your opinion is worth $0.00. Having dealt with Mike myself, I can honestly say that he is the best in the business. If you have any doubt, just read his eham reviews.....181 reviews.....5.0 rating. Seems like a pretty good guy to deal with.

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!! They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa!!! To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time...
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Frank no one is perfect and i'm taking no sides on this but those who felt they were not chosen to have Mike work on their radios should be able to express their disappointment.. I think it is OK for you and Scott to support Mike and feel equally it is OK for those who feel they were treated unfairly to express them selves.
Larry Huff K0pd
N1EQ

Post by N1EQ »

W1QJ wrote:I had a problem with my Icom 746. It seemed that this fellow was the "go to" guy for Icom repairs. I sent him 2 e-mails inquiring about availablity of parts and a possible repair of my radio. I received no replies to either e-mail. At least this fellow got a response from this fellow as undersireable as it may be. I got no response at all. I certainly was dissapointed since his reputation indicated that I might have been able to get my radio fixed. I wish I knew why I did not get a response from him. Lou
Lou W1QJ:

I’ve checked my records, and you did in fact send me two emails (as posted below) around the 4th of July weekend. I had family obligations at the time, due to the holiday. And I had a backlog of emails when I returned to the shop. So apparently, your request slipped by me.

But your request wasn’t exactly as you’ve describe here. Not in one sentence did you actually ask me to repair your IC-746. But instead, you asked if I knew of a source for a replacement circuit board, or if I could sell one to you, so another tech (Hal) could fix your radio.

As you found out, that particular board is no longer available from Icom. But I no longer have any of these boards in my collection either, except for damaged ones. Besides, as it states on the policy page of my website, I do not sell parts. I’m not a parts dealer. Frankly, it is tough enough maintaining a parts inventory for repairing my own customer’s radios.

Both "disenfranchised" parties in this thread have two things in common: They both overlooked one or more of my policies. And they weren’t completely forthcoming with the facts.

Mike - N1EQ
www.n1eq.com

from Gudguyham@aol.com
to mike@n1eq.com
date Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM
subject Icom 746

Hi Mike, I am looking for the first board in from the antenna input that has all the filters and band/antenna switching. The radio apparently received RF into it and burned the board much like I saw on your website. According to Hal who is working on it I need a replacement board. He said he called Icom and claims they do not support that board anymore. Any idea where I can find this board either new or a good used one from a junker radio? 73 Lou

from Gudguyham@aol.com
to mike@n1eq.com
date Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 6:15 AM
subject ICOM 746

Hello Mike, according to your web site you seem to be extremely knowledgeable with the ICOM 746. I think I need a new control board. I seem to have had the same problem you mention the guy had on your website with RF entering the input of the radio. I think that first board in from the antenna jack is the control board that your website shows that was burned up. Is this control board still available through Icom or some other source? I would like to get one to repair this radio. I was told it was no loner supported by Icom but I am just checking to be sure. Thanks 73 Lou W1QJ
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

And once again, The truth reveals it's ugly head.

Now we know why the man only wishes to communicate via email. Brilliant!

Try remembering or proving that conversation had it been held on the phone.
Steve - KA9MOT
w0zs

I can't resist!

Post by w0zs »

I have no dog in this fight, but I can't help but think of the Seinfeld episode, the Soup Nazi. No soup for you!
:wink:
N1EQ

Post by N1EQ »

Last edited by N1EQ on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
N9LCD

I AGREE WITH N1EQ

Post by N9LCD »

I dealt with a phone addicted would-be buyer like KD5EZR.

A guy emails me about a receiver I'm selling and asks for my phone number because he has a few questions. Figuring that I could give somebody who's going to pay $1,250 for my RA1795 a few minutes, I emailed my number.

WHAT A MISTAKE!!

The first call went an hour and fifteen minutes! It ended with "Food's on the table. I got to go eat!"

The second call went almost an hour. "Got to go! Dinner's on the table!"

The third call went about 35 minutes. It ended with "Sounds like a fight out in front of the house. Got to see what's going on."

It ended with "NO SALE" and about $50 more on the phone bill for this flake's incoming calls.

TIME IS MONEY! IT COSTS TO GET INCOMING CALLS AND TIME ON THE PHONE IS NOT PRODUCTIVE.

N9LCD

:roll: