Bob Cambell, G4CMI, misrepresented himself in an ad response

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
donsadam

Bob Cambell, G4CMI, misrepresented himself in an ad response

Post by donsadam »

I was looking for aTA-33 Jr. Campbel responded. I asked for a picture of the antenna. The picture he sent was obviosly cherry picked from the My Space site of another ham. Warning! :x
KG0MN

Post by KG0MN »

not doubting your claim but how are you certain of it?
af6vm

Post by af6vm »

:evil: There's another post here talking about the same thing and that poster suggested maybe some scammer is using this guys call.... it would be a shame if Bobs reputation was being trashed and he didn't even know it.... :evil:

http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=8442
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Definitely a scammer, not really Bob Cambell, G4CMI.

- Scott
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Here's what the scammer was sending out to people. I find it so hard to believe that anybody would respond to this? But I guess so...

email: bob1961camp@gmail.com
fullname: BOB CAMPBELL
callsign: G4CMI
Ad Response: Hello

How are you doing and your family? I am BOB CAMPBELL by name. I am
contacting you regarding your wanted advert, if still valid, I have the
above subject in good working condition and in perfect order. I will email
you details as soon as i know your interest of buying from me. You can
contact my by email for further details. And i will also need your
complete home address for shipping to your destination and your phone
contact. Let me know which one of the payment method you prefer. Feel free
to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back Thanks and hope
to hear from you soon.
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

KA9FOX wrote:Definitely a scammer, not really Bob Cambell, G4CMI.

- Scott
Scott I have the IP of this person impersonating Bob Campbell. I traced it back to a residential area of Illinois. Is there anyway to ban this particular IP from answering ads? Also I am in the process of getting in contact with the real Bob Campbell in the UK. Waiting to hear back from him.
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

KA2CDT wrote:
KA9FOX wrote:Definitely a scammer, not really Bob Cambell, G4CMI.

- Scott
Scott I have the IP of this person impersonating Bob Campbell. I traced it back to a residential area of Illinois. Is there anyway to ban this particular IP from answering ads? Also I am in the process of getting in contact with the real Bob Campbell in the UK. Waiting to hear back from him.
Since I live in a residential area in Illinois, I hope there is another way to deal with this............
Steve - KA9MOT
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

KA2CDT wrote:Scott I have the IP of this person impersonating Bob Campbell. I traced it back to a residential area of Illinois. Is there anyway to ban this particular IP from answering ads?
Of course, the moment these guys are found, I block the IP. But as far as this "residential area of Illinois" business, I'm afraid you are overly simplifying things. Facts:

1) These scammers use open proxy servers at data centers, businesses, and even home user machines that are compromised. They LOOK like they are anywhere but where they really are.

2) Since no crime was actually committed, only attempted, you will never in a million years get anyone in law enforcement to spend time investigating this. Please feel free to try (I have, including using ic3.gov, and failed)

- Scott KA9FOX
Last edited by KA9FOX on Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ve4xt

Post by ve4xt »

It's clear from the text below that this is likely autogenerated by a spambot somewhere trolling for living, breathing victims. Note the bad grammar, unlikely sentence structure AND how there is no specific reference to your wanted item. If it had really come from someone with an actual Cushcraft to sell, he'd have included more details in the original e-mail. I note that this person never sent a pic until you asked for one, at which point any computer user worth his CPU would be able to scrounge up something on the net. That the second e-mail referred to the item but not the first e-mail suggests the second was an attempt to cover up the misdeeds of the first.
How are you doing and your family? I am BOB CAMPBELL by name. I am
contacting you regarding your wanted advert, if still valid, I have the
above subject in good working condition and in perfect order. I will email
you details as soon as i know your interest of buying from me. You can
contact my by email for further details. And i will also need your
complete home address for shipping to your destination and your phone
contact. Let me know which one of the payment method you prefer. Feel free
to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back Thanks and hope
to hear from you soon.