Bait and switch? WD4AAS and "Marc's Amateur Radio Cente

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
n1aok

Bait and switch? WD4AAS and "Marc's Amateur Radio Cente

Post by n1aok »

I answered ad #840180 offering for sale a "like new" MFJ-259B antenna analyzer. The response I received (appended below) indicates that the ad was placed by a commercial vendor, not by an individual. It also advised that all their "used" units were sold but that they could sell me a new one at the "very lowest pricing of any US dealer." This seems to be a classic "bait-and-switch" tactic at worst and, at the very least, intentionally misleading.

This is the reply I received when I responded to the ad:

"Charlie: New in a sealed box $225. We sold all the used units we had. We are dealers for MFJ with the very lowest pricing of any US Dealer.
73, Marc
- Show quoted text -
Marc Freedman
WD4AAS@aol.com
Marc's Amateur Radio Center
3500 N.W. Boca Raton Blvd.
Boca Raton FL 33431
Store # 617
954 609-0099 Cel
561 395-4445 Store
www.amateurradiocenter.com"
K5BBA

Bait and Switch

Post by K5BBA »

Same thing happened to me.
kw4h

Post by kw4h »

The board rules specifically state that the classifieds section is for non-commercial use only. Hopefully, the fellow that runs this board has taken note and will contact the "Amateur Radio Center" and remind them of the rules.

Steve, KW4H
KC9QKX

I don't think so -

Post by KC9QKX »

I just don;t think Marc would do a bait & switch - I have inquired about items before, and he always had what was listed. Also, I DO like to see his ads, as well as dust cover specials form small mom & pops type sellers - they offer us a Good deal - and I hope they small shops continue to post good deals on used equipment / custom covers, etc.
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

I'm not certain that this is strictly "bait and switch," but it is certainly misleading for the seller to not indicate that this was a commercial transaction, and it is certainly misleading to not indicate that quantities are limited.

Now, if there were truly no "used" items available, then it would (IMHO, IANAL) very likely be "bait and switch."

The mere fact that a commercial vendor posed as an individual to skirt the rules is in and of itself enough to make me question the honesty and integrity of the vendor. One would how that if he made an honest mistake, he owns up to it and apologizes. Otherwise, well, there are still plenty of other vendors and dealers out there...
w1wn

Post by w1wn »

I have spoken with Marc in the past and while I have never purchased any gear from him, it is pretty clear that he operates a retail store that he sells equipment through. I have never seen him try to hide that and in fact he advertises on this site with full disclosure.

Dave, w1wn
ve4xt

Bait and switch? Hard to say

Post by ve4xt »

I don't think it's incumbent upon anyone to carry enough items to respond to every buyer. When you sell out, you sell out. To be able to say that it was bait and switch without being subject to libel, you would have to prove that it was Marc's intent to never have the advertised item and only to lure you in with the used item.

I certainly have NO problem with a legitimate "we're sold out, but we have the same item new if you're interested." Indeed, I'd appreciate that if it was something I was really looking for.

As to the rules, here's the rule:
The QTH.COM Classifieds system is available for non-commercial use only, unless prior permission is granted. Commercial is defined as anyone that manufactures or purchases a new product and offers that product for sale at a profit, or offers a pay-for service. If you meet this criteria, you should contact KA9FOX to receive permission to advertise, before placing an ad.

How does anyone know he hasn't contacted Scott?
WV4I

ditto

Post by WV4I »

Same experience when inquiring about a used AT2K tuner he had advertised. Did not actually have one, was expecting one soon, but had a new one. Right. I did not realize he was a dealer until that time.
Hammyguy

Post by Hammyguy »

deleted