Bad experience with WD8RYH aka W8DSR

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

kr4ey wrote:
brendar7639 wrote:Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !
After reading these comments do you really think so?
Speaking for himself of course.

Welcome aboard brendar !

If you read through the threads you may see a pattern emerge. Those who want to take out their frustration with a deal gone bad may snap at everyone. Even those who began by leaning towards their support.

You will often see an "open and shut " case flip 180 degrees once the other party checks in. If the other party does not check in we may never know the whole story. If nothing else you may learn the importance of buying from and selling to people with no known "issues".
So far this looks like it could be the other party's first disappointed buyer. It would be nice to see him step up and clear the record .
OK, So where are the filters now ?
kr4ey

Post by kr4ey »

kg8lb wrote:
kr4ey wrote:
brendar7639 wrote:Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !
After reading these comments do you really think so?
Speaking for himself of course.

Welcome aboard brendar !

If you read through the threads you may see a pattern emerge. Those who want to take out their frustration with a deal gone bad may snap at everyone. Even those who began by leaning towards their support.

You will often see an "open and shut " case flip 180 degrees once the other party checks in. If the other party does not check in we may never know the whole story. If nothing else you may learn the importance of buying from and selling to people with no known "issues".
So far this looks like it could be the other party's first disappointed buyer. It would be nice to see him step up and clear the record .
Of course.

I'm not sure it would be the first there was. Another buyer said he did not ship a power supply, but it since has been resolved.

http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=7827

All Dave has to do is mail me the promised material and I would also make the deal good and delete all my comments. But it has been 2 months of asking for them and i have given up.
eric

Post by eric »

I wonder Eric, just what year did you pass the General exam for the first time ?
Do you recall in what year the code requirement was dropped ?

Why does that really matter? I know code and i use it. But code isnt the end all be all of ham radio.
K9FON
No BS ham radio for me. I don't play ham politics, i.e. code/no code, Cb vs Ham, ect, ect.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Eric , That's what I had figured. :lol:

Kr4ey, Kidding aside , do you have the seller's telephone number ?
Last edited by kg8lb on Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

A little research tells us that Eric Zerkle, formerly KC9GUZ, upgraded to General on 8/3/2006. The code requirement was dropped in 2007.

Eric is in fact a CODED General.

I on the other hand Mr kg8lb am a No-Code General.......Worse yet, I was a CBer.....SWLer before that............Does that make me a bad Ham Mr Elitist, er....I mean......KG8LB?...
Steve - KA9MOT
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

[quote="KA9MOT"].

Does that make me a bad Ham...? quote]

Not in and of itself. Resorting to namecalling is a definite step in that direction . Generally it is just some of the CB habits and styles , namecalling is but one of them. Listening in the phone portions of the ham bands can be very revealing. All too often the foul language and poor operating habits are generated by newer hams with obvious CB backgrounds. The chronolgy of upswing was my point.
My comments about the recent degradation of the phone bands do not apply universally to all CBers. If the shoe fits however...

Who said he was not a coded General? In fact ,he already stated he was. I was just asking about the chronology. No research from you was needed , that fact was established and accepted without your effort.
Thank you anyhow.

Kr4ey,

You say there was a separate issue that was ultimately resolved ? That could be a sign there is still hope. Try to not totally burn the bridges. People can have problems locating lost papers and files. No excuse for brushing you off but sometimes patience pays off big.
eric

code no code code no code

Post by eric »

is the code no code what ham radio has degraded into????
yes im a "slow code general" and yes i USE CW but i also stick up for the new hams and the no coders.
I think this post has gotten to the point of no return and needs to be closed and locked down for good!
K9FON
No BS ham radio for me. I don't play ham politics, i.e. code/no code, Cb vs Ham, ect, ect.
eric

name calling

Post by eric »

What about the older hams on 75 meters that hold Advanced and the holy of holy 20 WPM Extra tickets? I have listened into several QSOs that sounded worse than the trype on 11 meters and some of them have been hams for YEARS! So dont lump the no coders and the slow coders into one category.

p.s. most of my hamming is about 75% listening and 25% actual talking.
K9FON
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Hey Eric what do you mean close it down? It's called a Swap Chat , and also i'm a 20wpm extra and have not used code in yrs. But when i did use code it was more challenging and always polite exchanges with no problem having some one slow down if need be. But if you want this to end just stop commenting.
Larry Huff K0pd
eric

Post by eric »

K0pd wrote:Hey Eric what do you mean close it down? It's called a Swap Chat , and also i'm a 20wpm extra and have not used code in yrs. But when i did use code it was more challenging and always polite exchanges with no problem having some one slow down if need be. But if you want this to end just stop commenting.
As long as you are not one of those ego centric 20 WPM Extras you ae ok with me!
K9FON
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Eric i guess i'm OK as i do not look down my nose nor feel my license makes me better. I do find it a little bit of a agitation when i think of Hams i know who came in around when i did and refused to update because of the code, giving various excuses. Then when they dropped the code requirement they still made excuses. So like most things in life if it's not worth working for it's not worth having as it has no value to that individule. And yes i used CB's for years and at one time there was great comarade among CBer's but once the licensing was dropped it opened up a real pandoras box and it looks like Ham radio is slowly heading that way.Maybe not dropping the licensing but lowering the entrance requirements so low that you start opening up our own pandoras box of problems..
Larry Huff K0pd
kr4ey

Post by kr4ey »

kg8lb wrote:Eric , That's what I had figured. :lol:

Kr4ey, Kidding aside , do you have the seller's telephone number ?
Yes. But what good is it when he never answers his phone. Every time I call him it goes to voice mail. He also has my phone number.
kg8lb

Re: name calling

Post by kg8lb »

eric wrote:What about the older hams on 75 meters that hold Advanced and the holy of holy 20 WPM Extra tickets? I have listened into several QSOs that sounded worse than the trype on 11 meters and some of them have been hams for YEARS! So dont lump the no coders and the slow coders into one category.

p.s. most of my hamming is about 75% listening and 25% actual talking.
Yes Eric, there are indeed poor operators among all classes of license. Still, by and large the very type stuff I am talking about is predominantly CB spawned. An anecdote here and there aside. It has grown exponentially as the new breed CBers swept into the ham bands IMHO. As opposed to the initial ham surge in the 1960s from the LICENSED Citizen's Band. (Do you remember that?).
Perhaps the degradation has spread and affected borderline operators. What had been totally unacceptable is now mainstream in many cases.
No, I do not look down my nose at anyone, especially based on license class.If they act like they are still on 11 meters however..?
If I were concerned with that I wouldn't have kept my advanced call when the Extra was issued.
I listen too. Since 1959. I have seen the erosion of the ham bands and the linking is pretty close to the timing of lowered standards,code being one of them. Much of what I am hearing is from ops with an unmistakable CB background. That is no where near saying every ham with a CB background is part of the problem.

Twenty years ago you could check in to any QSO on HF phone bands using CW. Try that now and all you get are CB style comments or claims of being QRMed or CB style name calling "Take that bleepity bleep on down to the code band,. This is the phone band you idiot".

CW ops frequently checked in to the DB net and always had a polite welcome .
Twenty years ago you would feel free to allow an 11 year old YL to listen in on 75 meters. Not so today. I can no longer encourage youngsters to take up HF amateur radio and will not. Thanks not entirely but in large part to the continual lowering of the bar.

K0PD's comments regarding licensed CB are spot-on.
In the early days of CB licenses and call signs were a requirement. The CB community was very effective at policing itself. There were probably more CB clubs than Ham clubs at one time.
CB ops migrated very seamlessly into the ham bands in large numbers. (After passing the tests). The operating styles of the CB band at that time were very close to the amateur radio model already established.

Not so much about "code-no code" as about lowered standards .

There are many parallels between Ham and CB radio regarding lowered standards .

You may feel otherwise ,so be it.

Kr4ey,
I had something else in mind with the phone number.
eric

Post by eric »

I dont think we should go back to 1959 standards but i think we need to look into a moratorum to stop issuing new ham tickets. Or even a stop to new hams altogether until the FCC and the ARRL do something to improve things.
I came from CB and i did it for years before i became a ham. I could've gotten my ticket back in 1991 under the old rules, but my CB buds talked me out of it. The things i heard about hams being uptight and unfriendly to new ops kept me away. Now that i am a ham i'll never look back. I don't like or play the politics involved especially towards new ops, but i dont look down on anyone thats a new ham.

KG8LB; maybe you need to have a qso with me sometime so i can prove to you im not just another slow coder General, since most seasoned ops tend to lump us slow codes in with no code Generals. Oh well, its whatever you want to do. Who cares.
K9FON
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Eric,

No need to take what I have said personally. I have tried be clear I am not citing all CBers and ex-CBers. I wonder a bit about your CB buddies and teir ability to talk you out of ham radio. I wound up in ham radio because I was too young for a CB license. I used to drop in on both local hams and CBers. One of my Elmers was a CBer. The fellow was straight arrow by the book. A few buddies had the old Knight regen walkie talkies and we would chat at night up to a couple of blocks. We learned CW holding our mics up to code practice oscillator speakers.

Going back to 1959 styles and standards could be a good thing but it will never happen. Goverment agencies are now just political positions for non performing Plutocrats , or so it seems. The days of local FCC enforcement are likely gone forever.

I would like to chat on air with you sometime. Written words are easily misconstrued and the intent is blurred a bit. Lets take this off the mainline and stay in touch VIA PMs or email.

I have taken all the phone gear down and just do CW but perhaps this fall or winter I v
can get something with a microphone on 40 and 75 .

Stay in touch.
eric

CW, psk 31, RTTY, Olivia, SSB Am can do it all here

Post by eric »

Sure, i can do CW i have various bugs, keyers, and straight keys. But i can do pretty much anything and any mode. :D
I do CW only on 80 and 40 meters though, and i like to hang around the FISTS freqs.
K9FON