Bad experience with WD8RYH aka W8DSR

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kr4ey

Bad experience with WD8RYH aka W8DSR

Post by kr4ey »

Listing Number: 817056
Date Ad was Placed: 04/07/10
Name: DAVID ROBERTS
Phone Number: 313 978 9922
Callsign: WD8RYH
Category: AMPHF
Heading: DENTRON 2500
Ad Message:
CUSTOM AMP BUILT WITH 4cx800 X 2 EASY LEAGAL OUTPUT 1000 PLUS 35 WATT DRIVE (600 DOLLARS) PLUS SHIPPING)
HAVE EXTRA DENTRON PLATE TRANSFORMER (100) PLUS SHIPPING

I recently had a bad experience with Dave WD8RYH aka W8DSR. It took him 3 weeks to ship the amp to me. The amp was in below average condition and not packed very good. There was very little packing tape on top of box to the point it had opened when I received it. I am lucky it had made it here in one piece and not fallen out of the box. After inspecting it, I turn it on and within 5 minutes the filter caps blow and take several resistors with it. I had not even hooked it up and put a load on it yet. The conversion was the reason I bought the amp. But I had to clean up most of the wiring, solder joints, and put about $60 into it to get it working.
I am still trying to complete this deal with him and get the schematics on the conversion more than a month after the sale.

BEWARE DON'T GET RIPPED OFF.
Last edited by kr4ey on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nu6x

Positive Experience with WD8RYH

Post by nu6x »

I have had 3 different transactions with Dave WD8RYH that involved 9 pieces of equipment. My experience with Dave has been very positive!! The equipment was as described and was very well packaged for shipping. He has been very fast to respond to both emails and phone calls.

Mark NU6X Sedona, AZ
kr4ey

Post by kr4ey »

Not very positive here. I wish it had went all smooth and peachy as it did you. But. I have been asking him for a month to complete the rest of what we agreed upon in our deal.
For some reason he doesn't want to. I have no idea why, but he is not to be trusted.
kr4ey

Post by kr4ey »

I even offered to make a few copies of the CD, mail them back and reimburse him for postage.
Still nothing as of today's mail, and now he refuses to answer my emails.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm. Seems to me our deal is not complete yet, Dave. You told me you were
going to mail CD with conversion info 2 weeks ago and I never received it.
I have been asking you for the CD for more than a month now.
When I have the CD with conversion info in hand I will remove it, and only
then.

KR4EY

----- Original Message -----
To: <>
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: Re: MLA-2500

Take that bad report in the forum off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My computer is junk ordered a apple. Will send in mail. Dave
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:58:56 -0400
Subject: Re: MLA-2500

Dave

OK thank you. I can make three or four copies for you and send them back to you if you have no computer. I have plenty blank CD's here. And reimburse you for your postage.

Richard

Yes I do. Will have to mail to u. U will still have ? When I do. Dave

Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 10:44:49 -0400
To: Dave. Roberts<>
Subject: MLA-2500

Dave

Still have not received schematics and info for this amp. Do you have info or not?? I have been asking you now for three weeks and you keep saying your sending soon, and I still have nothing.

Richard, KR4EY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both should be 30 ohms on each socket Dave

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2010, at 1:00 PM, "Richard" <> wrote:

Dave

Maybe you can help me while I'm waiting on schematics. After I received the I turned it on and it smoked. The filter caps went south. Maybe from sitting a long time.Anyway I have replaced them. I also did notice underneath by the tubes there is a 30 ohm resistor coming off the terminals on one tube that is fine. But the other resistor on the other tube is burned and cracked. Actually there are two soldered together and completely different value. Looks to be two 60 ohm. Is this correct??
I searched the internet for different conversions but not sure who you based your conversion off of.

Richard

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No alc will be sending all info soon.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 7, 2010, at 4:40 PM, "Richard" <> wrote:

Dave

Is there any reason you did not wire a ALC plug to the back of amp? Is it OK to put a ALC plug in the back of the amp or did you disable it with the conversion? I am ever going to receive your schematics and info for this??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Richard
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: Dentron MLA-2500

This comeing week. Computer down

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:28:32 -0400
Subject: Re: Dentron MLA-2500

Dave

When will send me info and schematics on conversion for this amp??

Richard KR4EY
kr4ey

Update

Post by kr4ey »

I have still have not had a reply from Dave. I would think he would like to clear his name and have me delete all these posts. But I have not heard anything from him. I gave him plenty of time to mail this, and still nothing. Maybe he was leading me on all this time and never had planned to send me the rest of what I asked for. Or he never had it in the first place. Who knows.

Anyway I still stand on my previous thoughts on this seller.

BEWARE!! DON'T GET RIPPED OFF.
eric

Dave

Post by eric »

I dont know what to tell you, guy. I just got a set of Drake twins and the transaction was very good.
K9FON
No BS ham radio for me. I don't play ham politics, i.e. code/no code, Cb vs Ham, ect, ect.
kr4ey

Post by kr4ey »

I don't what to tell you either. He won't respond to my emails.
So I have given up on him. I won't waste my time with this guy anymore.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Joran Vandersloot didn't kill every girl he took out.

"I don't know what to tell you, the boy dated my daughter and she is fine" Does nothing for the families of his victims.

I hope this all works out for both parties.

How interesting. Google a 1x3 ham call. Up pops a list with Youtube links to reviews of various (illegal?) CBs. Yep,just another no code "General" The new Ham-Lite
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

"How interesting. Google a 1x3 ham call. Up pops a list with Youtube links to reviews of various (illegal?) CBs. Yep,just another no code "General" The new Ham-Lite"

So true. :x
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
eric

Post by eric »

KA2CDT wrote:"How interesting. Google a 1x3 ham call. Up pops a list with Youtube links to reviews of various (illegal?) CBs. Yep,just another no code "General" The new Ham-Lite"
xxxxxxxxx
Those radios are 100% legal!!!
Geezz i post up saying i had a good exp with the guy and you guys jump all over me for posting the truth.
Jerks!!!!
No wonder the ham hobby is dying its because of guys like YOU!!!!!

So true. :x
K9FON
No BS ham radio for me. I don't play ham politics, i.e. code/no code, Cb vs Ham, ect, ect.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Do you have a youtube link too ?

Now THAT sounds just like the 11 meter annexed 75 M SSB ! Thanks.
OK, So where are the filters now ?
eric

Post by eric »

First off, KA2CDT is wrong on all accounts. First, i am a coded general being lisenced since 2004, second those CB rigs are stock UNMODDED. I dont risk my lisence by having illegal stuff.... The guy made biased judgements based on false assumptions which is typical of most hams, judging someone and not even knowing the real facts. All i did was get on here and mention that i have dealt with Dave and i got a deal from him, and i got dragged down in the dirt and called names all because I gave my opinion. I'd buy from Dave anyday. :D
K9FON
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Relax there fella,
Just a coincidence that you had a youtube vid of CBs. You are not the only one.

I was the one who made the comment , the other fella just nodded an agreement. I have no doubt a few CB refugees passed theGeneral code test. The CB effect existed even before the ARRL lowered the bar....again.

It is fine to relate good deals When the tone seemingly infers that the wronged party may have done something wrong himself because to came out fine is another story. It does nothing to put any pressure on the lax party to perform.

Like I said, Vanderslut didn't kill every date.

I will go now and check out your CB site.
eric

Post by eric »

Look up realistic TRC 458 and Robyn SB 520D and you will find they are LEGIT legal 40CH CB rigs. I dont understand WHY seasoned hams have a narrow minded view of the ham hobby. If someone does something out of the norm they get labeled. its no wonder so many get into this hooby only to leave the same door they came into! Its the narrow minded views that the older guys have towards the new ops.

Im not a biased person. I enjoy all aspects of the hobby be it ham, CB, FRS, scanners, SWL. I dont focus on one hobby and ignore everything else.

Oh BTW, i removed the vidoes because i was getting too many negative responses from older hams grumbling aobut me having CB rigs mixed in with my ham gear. GET A LIFE PEOPLE!!!!!! :x
K9FON
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

(The guy made biased judgements based on false assumptions which is typical of most hams)

Eric you complained because a remark offended you but then you go and make a comment that i copied and pasted from you that lumped all Hams in the same bundle. You sound like a person who over re-acts. I'm certain 600,000 Hams never all complained to you about your video so your the one as i see it that owes most Hams a apology. By the way i operated and used CB's for years and know not all CB's were modded.
Larry Huff K0pd
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Maybe Eric is a bit more sympathetic to his CB roots? ( The question mark indicates that I am not making a statement of fact. It is an observation based upon your statements)
That could explain his propensity to lump hams together with a negative connotation as a response to a comment that simply QUESTIONED the legality of gear.The gear in the videos he has since removed.

No one has said allof the CBs were illegal . Many years ago when CB was actually a licensed, regulated activity I had considered it. At the time however , I was only 12 years old. In the meantime I undertook learning the code and by the time I was 18 had no interest in the CB stuff. Since then it has turned into an anarchist's paradise (Much like your comment about eBay being a "Sucker's Paradise" in another thread)
There was a parenthetical question mark proceeding the legality comment. We all know that not all CBs are modded. We also know that 10 meters gets a lot of traffic from free channel CBers when the band opens. Much of that traffic from once legal, now modded gear. No way of knowing from a video if it is still legal hence the (??) Get it ? We also realize it is legal for a ham to modify certain CB gear and operate that gear on the amateur bands. However, that same ,modded gear is no longer legal for CB use.

Your particular videos were not singled out. You are not the only 1x3 or ham that has CB videos.

There is no intention on my part to speak for anyone other than myself. If someone else agrees that is OK too.

The name calling and "kiss my a$$" type talk is the very same type stuff that seems to have spiraled up on the ham bands lately from what I have seen. Thanks for reinforcing that observation. Some CBers may have become dis-enchanted with ham radio because there are hams who disapprove of that. By the same token ,perhaps people are avoiding ham radio because of the new wave behavior. That kind of talk is an all to commonly typical expression of simple disagreement now days.

I recently had my 12 year old niece and her mother over because the niece had expressed an interest in ham radio. Initially we had been on forty meters and both my niece and her mother were quite impressed with some of the DX stations. We then made the mistake of tuning DOWN to 75M phone. She was tuning through the top of the band and fell upon a couple of "good old boys" generating some of the sexual double meanings and homosexual inuendo that would make a sailor blush. The mood changed instantly. It seems amateur radio has left a much less than favorable impression and there is little hope that she will pursue it any further. You know , the "kiss my a$$" type of talk so often a common part of the new ham radio vernacular. Not that it is new. Only a lot more common.
I wonder Eric, just what year did you pass the General exam for the first time ?
Do you recall in what year the code requirement was dropped ?

If I am reinforcing your "view " of hams, so be it. Consider that you are affecting other's views regarding CBers and CBers turned ham thanks to lowered standards as well.

Still looking for some response from the seller.
Last edited by kg8lb on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kr4ey

Post by kr4ey »

This tread has been reported to KA9FOX because it has gone way off topic. I have started a new thread. If that one has posts related to any thing other than my topic I will also report it KA9FOX.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Hate to alert you to this fact but almost every controversial thread on here that gets a lot of response always ends up in another direction. Sort of like a group of people setting around the coffe pot in their favorite cafe.
Larry Huff K0pd
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Yep,

Look at the counter. Over 1100 views, all that free publicity! We are just trying to help keep the pressure up.

Still hoping the seller comes through or at least responds with "The Rest of The Story" as Paul Harvey used to say.

G o o d day !

Pass the cookies please.
kr4ey

Post by kr4ey »

kg8lb wrote:Yep,

Look at the counter. Over 1100 views, all that free publicity! We are just trying to help keep the pressure up.

Still hoping the seller comes through or at least responds with "The Rest of The Story" as Paul Harvey used to say.

G o o d day !

Pass the cookies please.

Probably cause there is no "The Rest of The Story"
I stated FACTS (e-mails,etc) and seller did not deliver what he promised, plain and simple.
brendar7639

Post by brendar7639 »

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

kr4ey wrote:This tread has been reported to KA9FOX because it has gone way off topic. I have started a new thread. If that one has posts related to any thing other than my topic I will also report it KA9FOX.
Well you showed them! Didn't you!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Steve - KA9MOT
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

kr4ey wrote:

G o o d day !

Pass the cookies please.

I stated FACTS (e-mails,etc) and seller did not deliver what he promised, plain and simple.
You seem to have a way of working very hard to turn people leaning toward your side away. It is a good sign when the other side checks in and explains the situation as he sees it. In his own words and with his supporting information. It is often the first step the resolution process. There are at least two sides to every story . If nothing more than an explanation. We see it all the time here. For example , he is responding from his Crackberry and mentions computer problems. Perhaps those files are sitting in a non-functional computer. In that case it may be hard to follow through in a timely manner. If the info was actually a part of the purchased package he still "owes you" but it may take a little doing. That needs to be communicated.
The other side of the story could reveal a lot that may be sitting between the lines.

BTW , Do you often power up amplifiers without a load ? Just curious.
kr4ey

Post by kr4ey »

brendar7639 wrote:Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !
After reading these comments do you really think so?
kr4ey

Post by kr4ey »

kg8lb wrote:
kr4ey wrote:

G o o d day !

Pass the cookies please.

You seem to have a way of working very hard to turn people leaning toward your side away. It is a good sign when the other side checks in and explains the situation as he sees it. In his own words and with his supporting information. It is often the first step the resolution process. There are at least two sides to every story . If nothing more than an explanation. We see it all the time here. For example , he is responding from his Crackberry and mentions computer problems. Perhaps those files are sitting in a non-functional computer. In that case it may be hard to follow through in a timely manner. If the info was actually a part of the purchased package he still "owes you" but it may take a little doing. That needs to be communicated.
The other side of the story could reveal a lot that may be sitting between the lines.

BTW , Do you often power up amplifiers without a load ? Just curious.
I agree. I would welcome Dave to comment and ask where paperwork etc for amp is but he won't even answer his emails.I gave a W8DSR plenty of time to make this right. I even told him I would delete my comments in this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm. Seems to me our deal is not complete yet, Dave. You told me you were
going to mail CD with conversion info 2 weeks ago and I never received it.
I have been asking you for the CD for more than a month now.
When I have the CD with conversion info in hand I will remove it, and only
then.

KR4EY

Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: Re: MLA-2500

Take that bad report in the forum off

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But he never replied. And I still do not have what he promised .
And this thread has gotten so way out of hand (views, comments) that it is worthless to even think of deleting it. I still can't figure out why Dave did not take care of this in a timely manner. And I still have no idea if he really has the schematics and paperwork that he said he did for this. He could have said sorry I don't have it, but never did. He kept leading me on all this time thinking he did. It's very apparent now he does not have this and I will never see it.