He wanted a tower climber for FREE

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N8ERM

He wanted a tower climber for FREE

Post by N8ERM »

I answered this guys ad:
ANNOUNCE - Any Tower Climbers in Michigan? AT ALL?
I'm in a bit of spot, and I need a little help!
Here's the story. My Mom bought me a Tri-Band Comet CX-333 2/220/440 antenna for my Birthday. I have a 40 Ft TV Tower in my backyard. It's Guyed. There is a Antron-99 up there, that's attached to a 10 ft Mast pipe which is all the way down in the tower.
I need someone to give me a hand here. I need a climber, with a belt preferred. My Dad has one, but I am not sure of it's condition. I need the old antenna brought down, and old antenna removed from the mast and you to help me put the new one together and you to climb my tower and install the new antenna, on the mast on the top of my tower. I have 54 ft of coax ready to go with connectors, all I have to do is hook it to a bulkhead connector and seal it.
I will attach a pic of the tower. (Or part of it at least)
If you can help, Please call 1-313-382-0272, after 2:00 P.M Please.
I am unemployed, so I cannot pay you. Whatever happened to Hams helping other hams?
73 de K8CPA -Chuck
Listing #827514 - Submitted on 05/21/10 by Callsign K8CPA

I had some questions:
Dear Charles P. Adkins K8CPA,

You have received a response to your ad, titled "Any Tower Climbers in Michigan? AT ALL?", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.

BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER, you are highly encouraged to:
1) Read our Safe Trading Tips at http://tips.qth.com.
2) Check our Feedback Forum at http://feedback.qth.com to see if the person you are about to deal with has any good or bad feedback from previous dealings.

The response is from:

Name: TERRY M0RGAN
Callsign: N8ERM
E-mail: n8erm@qth.com

The response is:

How is it guyed:
Type of guys?
Number of them?
Foot level that they are guyed?
How are guys terminated at ground level.
Is there ANY rust on the tower?
Tell me about how the tower is set in the ground ie size of the hole and how much cement.
Any more pictures?

And recieved this answer:

--- On Fri, 5/21/10, Patrick <tpblogeditor> wrote:

Subject: Answer
To: n8erm@qth.com
Date: Friday, May 21, 2010, 8:21 PM

You interested in climbing or writing a book?

I can snap some pictures tomorrow. too dark right now.

-Chuck K8CPA

I could see how this was going and retractred the offer to help with this email:

:Patrick,
I would not consider climbing a tower without the information I nicely ask for. You just lost your tower climber.

Flag this messageRe: AnswerFriday, May 21, 2010 9:36 PMFrom: This sender is DomainKeys verified"Patrick" <tpblogeditor>Add sender to ContactsTo: "TERRY and MARCY MORGAN" <tmmorg>Well, if you get offended that easily, I would not want you on my tower anyway. You'd most likely do something stupid, fall off the tower, and then try and blame me for it.

I was willing to take pictures of the tower, but if you're that damned thin skinned, I don't want your help.

Good luck in the contest OM...

-Chuck K8CPA
Last edited by N8ERM on Sat May 22, 2010 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
k4tty

tower climber

Post by k4tty »

you have got to be kidding??!! no wonder he needs help with attitude like that..dang
w8jn

what a jerk

Post by w8jn »

Terry,
I am surprised he didnt ask you to give him a free rig, pay him for the privledge of climbing his beat up tv tower and then receive negative feedback for climbing to slow. Good thing you got out of this before this knucklehead caused you some real problems. "no good deed goes unpunished" best 73 and happy hoss trading. paul w8jn
n5wrx

And your point is ????

Post by n5wrx »

Why are you posting this?
Are you mad at the fella for brushing you off and want to cause him some greif any way you can?

If you lived close enough to go help him you should have just drove over and looked at the tower yourself. Then decided if you wanted to climb or not.

With all the kooks and wierdos on the internet responding to anything posted I can see how this guy thought you were jerking his chain and was just giving some back.

Anyhow ... you were nice enough to at least think about helping him ... that counts for something.

Willee
N8ERM

Answers to your questions.

Post by N8ERM »

Willee,
I had some simple questions. I don't climb unsafe towers. He is 90 miles away. I checked his feedback, something I should have checked before I offered to help. With his answer to my email and his prior feedback I decided not to help.
Cheers,
Terry N8ERM
K8YZK

Post by K8YZK »

I was going to offer my services, as I am not that far away, but I would not be available to do it for a couple of weeks. Glad I held off for awhile, before answering.
All questions you asked Terry are valid, and for your safety let alone others on the ground.
Kurt
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Terry i agree with your feelings about this person. I think he showed the typical attitude of some one who always expects something for nothing.
Larry Huff K0pd
K9XR

tower climber

Post by K9XR »

Is this a feedback forum or a Search and Pounce pile-up. And YEAH his FEEDBACK is really BAAADDD! It's nice to know that the "good old boys piling on club" is still alive and well here on QTH.
N2PET

Any tower climbers in Mich?

Post by N2PET »

Based on the one picture that I saw posted, I wouldn't climb that "tower" For ANY reason! Just NOT safe. :roll: