Beware of this scammer

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
YO3FXL

Beware of this scammer

Post by YO3FXL »

Recently I placed an ad on this site asking to buy a transceiver. I bought the transceiver, I am very pleased, I do not mention the callsign of the person I bought from because I don’t want to associate it with the following. Soon after that I received another email from this address r.wint67@gmail.com This person claimed he is Mr. Robert Winthrop – M0PTT and that he would sell his transceiver to me. I looked up his callsign on the internet and I noticed another email address associated with the callsign. Further searching brought up an announcement of the real Mr. Winthrop about the fact someone is using his callsing. I exchanged a few emails with Robert and it was clear, I was the potential victim of a scammer. Soon after, would you believe it, I received a phone call from the scammer (!!!) asking if I am still interested in his transceiver. I told him that I know he is a scammer and that the conversation is being recorded, of course he hung up the phone.
So, be careful if someone offers stuff for sale and uses M0PTT callsign ASSOCIATED TO THE ABOVE EMAIL ADDRESS. The real Robert’s address is posted on QRZ.com. I suggest that the administrator of this website should permit access for M0PTT callsign only associated with his real address from qrz.com. Hope this helps.
N9LCD

YOU'RE NOT ALONE

Post by N9LCD »

I have ads on QTH & QRZ looking for either an AN/APR-5 or AN/AP-6 receiver. I received a response from somebody purporting to be Robert Winthrop -- M0PTT offering me the item I was interested in. The entire email sounded like a high-grade scam, definitely not "British" English.

I emailed the sender telling him I'd have to know who I was dealing with before I even started negotiations. I asked for his complete address, telephone number, when he was first licensed and what was his first call.

I still haven't heard from yet as of 14:00 Central time.

I also notified the real Robert Winthrop that somebody had hijacked his call for scamming.

MORE TO FO(LLOW!

JERRY

N9LCD
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

I just deleted an email from this scammer as well. Take caution!!

Here is his email:

Name: Robert
Callsign: M0PTT
E-mail: r.wint67@gmail.com

The response is:
Hope you are doing fine..I am ROBERT WINTHROP from England,UK.How you still interested in buying the above item..I have it in a very good condition and i will email details as soon as i hear from you thanks
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Maybe we should all offer to sell him something ?
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

I just spoke to the REAL ROBERT WINTHROP from the UK. His call sign has been taken and is being used as a con from this scammer! He is in the process of finding out who this guy is. I hope he burns him!!
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

I answered the scammers email. He wants me to send him $250 for a Drake antenna tuner. He also sent me some fabulous pictures! Thank God for these forums!
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

KA2CDT wrote:I answered the scammers email. He wants me to send him $250 for a Drake antenna tuner. He also sent me some fabulous pictures! Thank God for these forums!
Ask him if he takes Paypal. Could get interesting as he would have to provide an email address for his account. I am betting he does not accept Paypal.

Remember the old saying: "When you are walking in snake country,wear high boots."
w7ry

Post by w7ry »

I responded to him as well. Never to be heard from again however. Here is his response to a want I have running:

Name: Robert
Callsign: M0PTT
E-mail: r.wint67@gmail.com

The response is:

Hope you are doing fine..I am ROBERT WINTHROP from England,UK.How you still interested in buying the above item..I have it in a very good condition and i will email details as soon as i hear from you thanks

- Hide quoted text -

--------------------------------------------------------
For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:

Listing Number: 819268
Date Ad was Placed: 04/17/10
Name: Jim Colville

Callsign: W7RY
Category: RADIOHF
Heading: Icom 751 Display Needed
Ad Message:
I'm looking for a display module for an Icom IC-751 or IC751A. Just need the florescent display. No other parts needed. If you have the entire board, that's ok too. What do you have? I have a 751A that was damaged in shipping and the florescent display itself is broken.
Thanks
Jim W7RY

Thanks for the heads up!

Jim W7RY
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I had a similar deal like this a few months back and the real Ham in England even posted warning on QTh also and told me the scammers were in INDIA. Also i might add i fell for a scam which did use Pay Pal but thank GOD for Pay Pal i got my money back..
Larry Huff K0pd
w8jn

funny

Post by w8jn »

ok guys it gets funnier. good old robert replied to my ad wanting to buy an acom 2000a. it started out with "i am robert winthrop of the uk and i have the item you want" i toyed with him for a few days and he even sent me a picture of his acom 2000a and said "it will deliver wonderful sound" har har har. i knew he was a scam so i told him to deliver first and i would then send money. he told me he would trust me and i could just send him half and he would ship. i could send him the rest later... i had lots of fun with him.
happy safe hoss trading
YO3FXL

Post by YO3FXL »

Beware, the scammer said to me on the phone that he would accept paypal.
N5IZ

m0ptt...scam

Post by N5IZ »

just got email from robert.m0ptt wanting to sell me a radio..told him to semd radio and i would then send money..waiting to see..
73 ray n5iz
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

The scammer just emailed me back with a paypal email to send the money! Here is his response:

Re: QTH.COM Ad -- Wanted: Drake MN-2700......‏
Sent: Thu 4/22/10 6:48 AM
To: Ronnie- (flamingokidd@xxx.xxx)

Thanks for your email...Yes,I accept paypal..Shipping and insurance toyour doorstep will cost $50 and that will be total of $300..My paypalemail is asss_12@mail.ru and as soon as payment is transfer,Let meknow and i will package and i will ship and i will forward you theshipping tracking details thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

This guy is scum!! I googled his email address it comes back to some Russian web site. :x
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

YO3FXL wrote:Beware, the scammer said to me on the phone that he would accept paypal.
Forward the message immediately to: fraud@paypal.com . They will pursue the matter.

You can also go to the Paypal site and click on "contact us" There will be a phone number and you can call first hand to a real person. Give them all the information you have. They do not take this lightly.
VE3YF

Post by VE3YF »

I just spent a week of emails back and forth with this guy. He stated he had an item that I was looking for. A couple keys to the fact it was a scam, Price is just too good, and that he wanted to use Western Union. I also was in contact with Rob M0PTT (The Real One) and have forwarded all the emails to him. Not sure where this scammer lives, but not a big issue as Western Union was also contacted and they will handle things from their end.

Perhaps we will be lucky to rid ourselves of these scammers.

Usually I just delete the emails from scammers, but this time I decided I would proceed with the fact I wanted to purchase the item. I had the scammer going back and forth to Western Union all week.

Finally, and I don't know what took him so long, but he realized the whole thing was a hoax. I don't think I will ever hear from Robert R. Winthrop (The Scammer) again.

73 De Mike
VE3YF
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

KG8LB wrote:
YO3FXL wrote:Beware, the scammer said to me on the phone that he would accept paypal.
Forward the message immediately to: fraud@paypal.com . They will pursue the matter.

You can also go to the Paypal site and click on "contact us" There will be a phone number and you can call first hand to a real person. Give them all the information you have. They do not take this lightly.

I reported the scammers paypal email address to paypal fraud. I hope at the very least they will suspend the account. :x
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
w7cpa

ROBERT WINTHROP Scammer

Post by w7cpa »

This human slime is still active. He responded to my QTH want for a NCX-1000. He even came up with a picture. He/she/it has stolen the identity of M0PTT. It uses the following PayPal addres :lady2alpha@gmail.com. It uses the bogus name: ROBERT WINTHROP (always all caps). The emails reveal he is most certainly NOT an Englishman (grammar, punctuation etc.). His MO is to give you a too-good-to-be-true price and then demands a big, additional customs fee that must be sent immediately.

Beware !!!

Sample text from the scammer follows:

Thanks for your email..Yes,I have the original tuning knob and it make 500 watts out...There is no dent or scratch on it..it work fine..Shipping and insurance to your doorstep will cost $90 and that will be total of $440..My mode of payment is via western union money transfer..As soon as your payment is receive,i will package and i will ship and i will forward you the
shipping tracking details..

For payment,you are to locate any western union agent office and give
the my name and address below

Receiver Name..ROBERT WINTHROP

Address.50 ULLSWATER ROAD.CARLISLE, CA25RG, CA2 5RG England

As soon as payment is transfer,you are to forward me the following details below

Sender Name

Address

Mtcn Number

Exact money sent

As soon as i get this information,i will package and i will ship and i will forward you the shipping tracking details thanks and is nice doing business with you
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

I googled that new email address. Looks like he is running another scam on a message board:

"7.If you are looking for a genuine investments programs this is not H YIP programs they have over 100,000 people who do daily investments with them and daily payments are given to thousands of people everyday.They pay as low as 11 percent every week for 26 weeks and your capital will be returned to you after the investment plan.If you need these genuine websites that having been paying me for 2 years now and reliable.Then pay to my companies M.D account number below:"

A) ALERT PAY ACCOUNT NUMBER :ladisuzan@yahoo.com-$5

B) PAYPAL ACCOUNT NUMBER :lady2alpha@gmail.com=$5

C) LIBERTYRESRVE ACCOUNT NUMBER:u6304074-$5

After making payments then send an email to cyntizua2@yahoo.com then the needed investment program and sites will be sent to your box.

BEWARE!! This guy is scum!! :evil:
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
w7cpa

Scammer Returns Down Payment when PayPal Takes Action

Post by w7cpa »

The scammer discussed on this thread, who has taken Robert Winthrop's (M0PTT) identity, actually returned my down payment when I registered a PayPal complaint and indicated that my contacts in International Law Enforcement and Defense might suggest that he/she/it to think twice about scamming me.

The PayPal email used in the scam was lady2alpha@gmail.com.
The name used is: suzzy OGBEIDE, nice UK name <grin>
I suspect that the returned monies are an attempt to maintain the currently running scams with this PayPal relationship. I wish camel rash all over this hoser.

This thread contains excellent data on this scam artist.
YO3FXL

Post by YO3FXL »

Scammer strikes again (or maybe a new one), read bellow please. Anyway the real G1EYY has a different email address on qrz.com

"Dear Mihai Gavrila YO3FXL,

You have received a response to your ad, titled "Looking to buy nice Yaesu FL-2100Z amp", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.

BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER, you are highly encouraged to:
1) Read our Safe Trading Tips at http://tips.qth.com.
2) Check our Feedback Forum at http://feedback.qth.com to see if the person you are about to deal with has any good or bad feedback from previous dealings.

The response is from:

Name: Dennis Wincup
Callsign: G1EYY
E-mail: denniswincup@gmail.com

The response is:

Hello friend,

I am Dennis Whincup writing from England...I saw your wanted advert and i really want to know if you are still interested,because i have it in a very good condition..Let me know thanks "
KD5GYV

Robert Winthrop r.wint67@gmail.com

Post by KD5GYV »

Just for information.....Google this email address r.wint67@gmail.com and also google Robert Winthrop. This guy is ripping off alot of people ! He is getting email addresses and doing this all over the world. He scammed a guy in Italy, Spain you name it. He also goes by Dennis Whincup try that one. When someone tries to file a dispute, he scams another person, gets them to send the payment to the disputer and gets another inocent person in the middle of his criminal acts. He is going to every site where people place ads wanting anything and scamming them. I wrote him several emails telling him he has been found out and that people were watching. He sent me an email back using the F word and the other being off. This guy is making alot of money off people who trust in getting what the asked for. Please be very careful of anyone and check them out before sending money.

Thanks
KD5GYV
Clyde