martyn

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N0VPD

martyn

Post by N0VPD »

i sold this guy an icom receiver. i asked for a usps money order but he sent me a personal check. i told him it would have to sit for at least 3 weeks before i send the unit. he said thats not necessary, but if thats the way i do things then so be it. i am still holding the unit for at least another week. if it goes bad you can be sure i will let everyone know.
w8jn

his call please

Post by w8jn »

what is his call?
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Paul i suspect he is referring to the infamous Martyn Allison better known as Radio Mart......
Larry Huff K0pd
w8jn

yes

Post by w8jn »

larry,
i suspected so. does he have a ham call?
paul
N0VPD

martyn

Post by N0VPD »

yes i am referring to martyn allison of radio mart. i still have the radio and i will keep it for as long as my bank thinks i should. i talked to my bank person yesterday and she told me that it could take up to 6 mos. so if thats what it takes then thats what it will take. if i had checked this site for this guy before dealing with him, i would have just sent the check back and been done with him.
k4kk

Post by k4kk »

There has been much written about Martyn. However, in all fairness it has been aimed at his tendency to sell "mint" equipment that just didn't meet the standards. I do not recall anyone challenging him for non-payment (I could be wrong, but...). Therefore, I would suggest that it is time to ship the rcvr. If you deposited the check and the funds are in your account, send it away and watch for him to sell it as "looks like brand new."
N0VPD

Post by N0VPD »

well i am not, i repeat NOT going to get screwed by him or anyone else. not to sound like some kind of XXXXX, but if he or anyone else screwes me over i WILL find the guy and personally pay him or her a visit. i guarantee that he or she will never do it to anyone else again. i hate people that do these kind of things to honest hard working people. they need to be stopped for good. i know this sounds like i am blowing hot air but i am not. a guy many years ago did stick it to me and i found him and he has never, to my knowledge or anyone elses knowledge, did it again.
w8jn

the scam

Post by w8jn »

here is what martyn does. he purchases items and relists them as "mint". if it was sold to him as mint, the buyer receives a mint item if it was junk, the buyer receives a piece of junk described as mint. your item will be relisted on ebay as "mint hardly used". the best thing you can do to shut him down is to send his money back and do not ship the item. that will stop martyn.
happy hoss trading paul w8jn
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Good Lord fella's , that's what I request is "Personal Checks" it is the SAFEST and BEST. I do 20 to 30 personal checks a month. All you do is call the bank (printed on the check) and ask for Funds Available if you are scared. Depost it and there is NO return once it clears in 3 to 5 days. Come on guys , get along.

It seems everyone is "scared" of personal checks. Unlike Ripoff Paypal who can "pull" funds , Fake M.O.s who come after YOU once they are deposited and Bank Checks which are fake all over the place, you CAN NOT fake a personal check. Once it is cleared , there is NO turning back

Grow up...
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
w8jn

personal checks

Post by w8jn »

bill,
the good thing about personal checks is that it is a jailable felony for writing a
"bad check". it is however still easy to be scammed by personal checks. forged stolen checks, are one way. yes you are correct, calling the bank will verify funds, however unless its a certified check, the issuer can "pull the funds" prior to the check hitting.
happy hoss trading paul w8jn
ps... did my personal check arrive for the 7000 face hihi
N0VPD

Post by N0VPD »

TO N4ATS:
YOU ARE WRONG IN YOUR STATEMENT. I, AND THEN MY BANK CALLED HIS BANK AND HIS BANK WOULD NOT GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION ABOUT HIS ACCOUNT. IF YOUR GOING TO MAKE STATEMENTS LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT THEN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Banks are NOT legally obligated to verify a check , either over the phone or in person, for the payee. If they do it, it's solely as a convenience and accomodation for the payee.

Also banks are NOT legally obligated, at least in Illinois, to cash a check drawn on on one of their depositor's account if you're NOT a depositor.

Considering the activities of the Nigerian and Limey "fraud squads", I don't blame banks for not wanting to expose their customers and themselves to losses.

And, yes, I was in banking for 20 plus years before I retired!

N9LCD

:cry:
ke4nu

I had the same problem taking a check N0VPD is correct.

Post by ke4nu »

N0VPD wrote:TO N4ATS:
YOU ARE WRONG IN YOUR STATEMENT. I, AND THEN MY BANK CALLED HIS BANK AND HIS BANK WOULD NOT GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION ABOUT HIS ACCOUNT. IF YOUR GOING TO MAKE STATEMENTS LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT THEN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.
I sold a radio to a guy through QTH and he asked if I'd take a personal check. I said sure but I'll have to hold it till it clears. Well about 5 days I went to my bank trying to see if it had gone though. My bank called his bank and they refused to give any info out. Bottom line, I sat on the check for about 10 days before I shipped. The buyer and I both got pretty frustrated so right there I made my mind up "no more personal checks". BTW the check was good. I'd just send his check back especially since you said no checks to begin with..Happy Easter, Alan
kk4aq

afraid of checks and money orders.

Post by kk4aq »

ok guys if you are so afraid to take checks or money orders and so afraid someone is going to give you the shaft. why not just have them pay you by money-gram. all wal-mart stores have it. you just get info you need from buyer and go get the CASH at you local wal-mart. then you have no worry about getting the shaft ! if you think your safe with a postal money order i hate to tell you but they are being counterfitted also.
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

Concerning USPS Money Orders. It's not necessary to hold it one second longer than it takes to rip it from the envelope it came in and take it to the Post Office.. It's very easy to determine if the USPS Money Order you received as payment is counterfeit or not.. Take the dang thing to the Post Office.. All legitimate USPS Money Orders have a serial number that's entered into the Postal system when it's issued. The clerk can verify in a matter of seconds if it's a good one or not.. If it's determined to be a good one, you simply show the same clerk proper ID and receive your payment in cold hard cash...

USPS Money Orders are the only method of payment I accept for my internet dealings, and I so stae it in all my ads. If someone sends me ANY other method of payment, I send it back and explain my payment policy again. If they want to continue with the deal, they'll send the proper payment. A few people have gotten miffed at me, but it's their own fault for not reading and following the instructions. I've never been scammed using this method..

KM5FL
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

N0VPD wrote:well i am not, i repeat NOT going to get screwed by him or anyone else. not to sound like some kind of XXXXX, but if he or anyone else screwes me over i WILL find the guy and personally pay him or her a visit. i guarantee that he or she will never do it to anyone else again. i hate people that do these kind of things to honest hard working people. they need to be stopped for good. i know this sounds like i am blowing hot air but i am not. a guy many years ago did stick it to me and i found him and he has never, to my knowledge or anyone elses knowledge, did it again.
We once had a bank loan officer named Marshall Gooch. Marshall was a good guy. One of those who would help a guy out and EVERYBODY loved him.

Marshall made a loan to a guy, who stiffed the bank. I imagine, Marshall got into trouble over it, but the idea that somebody would take advantage of him really bothered Mr. Gooch.

Marshall traveled to Texas (where the deadbeat had moved to), and knocked on his door. The deadbeat shot him in the head.

Marshall left behind a wife and some kids and THOUSANDS of saddened customers............................

Sometimes, you just have to relax a little.

I will accept any form of payment. I have never been scammed.
Steve - KA9MOT
N8ERM

Way to go Steve.

Post by N8ERM »

Finally the voice of reason. I know the radio-mart story well. All you need to do is proper homework. Check feedback forum, google and the other popular ham sites for the one you wish to do the deal with. There are two here that I would never deal with. If we learned to play nice and always remember to be fair the deals will go well, if not they go west.
Terry N8ERM
KM5FL

Re: Way to go Steve.

Post by KM5FL »

N8ERM wrote:Finally the voice of reason. I know the radio-mart story well. All you need to do is proper homework. Check feedback forum, google and the other popular ham sites for the one you wish to do the deal with. There are two here that I would never deal with. If we learned to play nice and always remember to be fair the deals will go well, if not they go west.
Terry N8ERM
Terry, I don't know who the two are that you'd not deal with, and I certainly won't ask you to reveal their names. I'll say this though.. It's been quite a while back that you made a purchase or 2 from me.. We both came away very pleased.. I would deal again with you in a New York Minute.. :D :D :D

KM5FL
N8ERM

Hi Nick.

Post by N8ERM »

Yes it has been a while. I really like to deal with folks like you. The one person I speak of is a long time bad rep dealer and I do not do well with threatening folks either. It takes so little effort to be nice and the not nice is a bundle of work. Most of the folks I deal with are real nice. The few and I mean few that are not stick out like a sore thumb and I will never deal with them.
Terry N8ERM
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

You are sooo right, Terry..
It's real easy to separate the good guys from the bad.. If folks would just learn to "read the signs", a lot of problems and potential scams would never happen..

KM5FL
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I've copied a recent run in i had with Martyn when i only asked why he did not use his business name,so here it is again so you can decide what to do with him as he is what he is. And i too can tell a couple of stories where some one went to the home of a person they felt did them wrong and in both cases died at the front door. My self unless i really wanted to sell the item would have returned the Check and relisted the radio or asked the second highest bidder if they still wanted it. But here is my run in with Martyn here on qTH.com....

I received the following message from Martyn on March 18 after i had made the remark asking him why not use his business name radio mart when he first posted a statement about a deal he had back then. Now let me first say is if he did block me from bidding which i have no way of knowing as i do not bid on his stuff, so if he did he did me a favor to help stop any insanity i may exhibit. But this is a typical response you will get from him if you leave him bad feed back or what ever one does he does not like.......Larry Huff K0pd

And your point is?
I use my company name when I purchase for my company as you will be seeing shortly, I use my call if purchasing for me and my name if I am purchasing for a friend.
If you think I am trying to hide anything you are mistaken, 15,100 positives and going up by about 100 a week, so maybe its time you revised your narrow minded way of thinking?
73s OM and I believe your on my blocked bidders list which would explain your attitude.
Adios
Larry Huff K0pd
N0VPD

to N8ERM

Post by N0VPD »

i dont, never have, and never will make idle threats. i tell it like it is and like it should be. i am not passive like most people in this country. if you treat me right, i treat you right. an eye for an eye, do unto others, treat as you want to be treated. get it?
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

Larry,
I just don't see a problem with him not using his correct name. Why would that matter? You got what you wanted and he got what he wanted. Nobody scammed so, no problem as I see it.

I have purchased a couple of Items from Martyn and they were as advertised. I know many have been burned, and I certainly am not taking his side in anything, I just can't understand why you are having a problem with him.
Steve - KA9MOT
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

Karl,
Again, What is the problem? 7 to 10 days is the "normal" waiting period for personal checks. I think you are over reacting, but that is just my opinion.

You have certainly not been scammed, you have his check, and your receiver. If anything, he could post a problem with you. I would.

You made a public threat as well, and then backed it up with another. You sound like a loose cannon.

Again, Just my opinion.
Steve - KA9MOT
N0VPD

Post by N0VPD »

theres been NO threats made against anyone. this is a prime example of what you people do. you read only what you want to read and not the entire piece. i have made no threats against anyone in particular. all i said was that "if anyone screwes me over they will wish they hadnt". if you dont want to deal with me, fine dont. its because i post my own personal feelings that you and others cant seem to accept . thats your problem. personally i could care less if you or anyone else buys my items. if i sell them, fine. if i dont i will either give them away or throw them away. you people need to wake up, learn how to read, and stand up for yourselves when the need arises. to all those who are not "upset" at what i wrote, i apoligize for the ignorance of the few who have their shorts in a wad. have a nice day.