KB0XA sour deal

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
mmaghakian

KB0XA sour deal

Post by mmaghakian »

KB0XA advertised a collector condition mint Drake SSR-1 receiver. I inquired with him and he assured me it was pristine. he supplied a blurry picture.
I purchased the receiver
it arrived and it had damage around the volume control where someone pushed the knob in too far and kept using it, grinding away the finish, and some black indicator dots were also gone.
I paid a high price on his word it was collector condition.
upon notifying him of this problem and asking him for credit to bring the price to where it should be,
he called me a liar and that I was trying to take him. which is totally untrue as I can provide many references of people I have purchased from on QTH.
I trusted him because he is a seller of antennas but I guess that wasn't a good indicator.
mmaghakian

Post by mmaghakian »

this is the interaction we had after I received the receiver. his response was in BOLD letters.

That's Insane!
I do not lie!
Nor will I be taken!
There was a nice clear photo on the ad and under no circumstances would I rate that radio anything other than mint.
The only thing better would be brand new !
----- Original Message -----
To: Hamsdoittiltheirgigahertz
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: QTH.COM Ad -- MINT Drake SSR-1 shortwav...

Hi,

we have a big problem.
this radio is not even close to mint. there are silk screened dots missing and the volume knob was on too hard and part of the panel rubbed off.

I need a reasonable price adjustment or you would have to pay my shipping cost back to you.

I am quite unhappy, I would have bid $125 on ebay tops in this condition.

Mike
mmaghakian

Post by mmaghakian »

please contact me if anyone wants to see a picture of the damage. this receiver would be about an 8.5 of 10, absolutely NOT mint or EVEN close.
kb0xa

I must protect my name and say that these are libelous lies!

Post by kb0xa »

1. This liar never once asked for confirmation that the radio was pristine like he claims!!
2. The photo was a 12 meg clear picture of the radio from 15 " away in bright light! Nothing smeared as he claims!
3. This man immediately filed a false claim with PayPal claiming the radio was damaged!
4. PayPal refused his claim after I FILED THE TRUTH AND PROOF!!
5.THIS SCAMMER THREATENED TO SMEAR ME AND MY BUSINESS ALL OVER THE RADIO COMMUNITY IF I DIDN'T SEND HIM $50.00
6. All he ever claimed to me was that there were a couple of dots missing in the screen printing and that when he took the volumn knob off and the knob had scratched the aluminum behind the knob because it was on too tight!
7. He also claimed to publish the photo of the scratches behind that knob so that 1000s in the radio community would see it and read the negatives he was going to write about my antenna business!
8. Here is my answer to his threats of slander and libel against me and my business;
You're picking fly poop out of the pepper!
I never took the knobs off to see if I could find anything behind them!
All I ever saw was what you saw in the photo!
As for your threats to smear me and my business, be aware right now that
if you slander or libel me I will come after you big time!
You can write all the articles and reviews you want to about yourself your
mods and how smart you are, but beware of who you go after for revenge!
You might just get a big surprise!
I'll set up the network to monitor for that tonight!
9. We will never submit to blackmail and threats, so let this be public a cease and desist notice not to slander or libel me or my business!!
Nuff Said?
Here's a link to the ad photo!
http://slinkyantennas.com/qth_ad.htm
This lair is not a ham, so what is he doing posting lies on this forum?
mmaghakian

Post by mmaghakian »

paypal denied the claim because it was not purchased through ebay it was an automatic denial, he had nothing to do with it. they only cover non delivery if not through ebay

if you look at the picture you can see the damage on the upper right of the volume control

here is his email where he states the radio is pristine:

> Subject: Re: QTH.COM Ad -- MINT Drake SSR-1 shortwav...
> To: "Michael Maghakian NONE" <mmaghakian>
> Date: Monday, March 8, 2010, 1:59 PM
> The Radio is Pristine!
> The Manual is a copy. That's all I got when I bought it
> from a silent key estate many years ago.
> tnx es 73,
> Don
n3kya

Are you Kidding?

Post by n3kya »

Seriously Michael,

I am looking at the picture (which is in no way blurry). I see no damage from the pictures perspective. If you wanted to see all of the silk screened "dots" then you should have asked for more pics. Even still, the overall condition warrants the 8.5 that he stated. If you are going to be that picky you should not buy over the web.

The fact you IMMEDIATELY filed a paypal claim just shows you were trying to get over on the seller.

Rest assured I will never sell anything to you.

Ed N3KYA
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Fuzzy picture? If you consider that a fuzzy picture then your eyes are bad or youu need to clean your monitor. By the way the receiver looked to be in very condition for it's age . I agree with the seller i think you were trying to get one over him the seller.
Larry Huff K0pd
mmaghakian

Post by mmaghakian »

since when does VG equal prisine mint collector condition ?
kb0xa

By The Way Folks; He Paid $185 for this nice receiver!

Post by kb0xa »

Click the links above that I had on the ad and you'll see that Universal sold
1. One with no manual and the dial light out for $209.95
2. One for $369.95 and
3. One for $289.95

Since this person has no call sign and is not a ham, do a Google search on his name like I did and you will find numerous forums discussing all the radios bought and sold on SWL and Scanner websites.
I guess if he's in the buy them low and sell them high begger business , he 's used to trying to rip off the sellers to make more than the normal profit.
Since the SSR-1 radios are selling for $289 to $369 in normal condition, then no doubt this one should bring somewhere in that range or more.
Now, I wish I had done that research before listing it for $185 !
I hated to put the pictures on here with a link to one of my websites since he swears he's going to smear me and my business to 1000s of hams and short-wave listeners and ruin my reputation,
You would think with crazed postal employees and others going nuts after being screwed over royally by people like this Goob, one wouldn't even think of doing the things this Locoweed claims he's going to do to me! (Over Nothing TOO !!! )
K9XR

Re: By The Way Folks; He Paid $185 for this nice receiver!

Post by K9XR »

I just Googled both you guys and the most intersting thing I saw was a review for a competing antenna that you turned into a commercial for Slinky Antenns. Now That IS Funny.

quote="kb0xa"]Click the links above that I had on the ad and you'll see that Universal sold
1. One with no manual and the dial light out for $209.95
2. One for $369.95 and
3. One for $289.95

Since this person has no call sign and is not a ham, do a Google search on his name like I did and you will find numerous forums discussing all the radios bought and sold on SWL and Scanner websites.
I guess if he's in the buy them low and sell them high begger business , he 's used to trying to rip off the sellers to make more than the normal profit.
Since the SSR-1 radios are selling for $289 to $369 in normal condition, then no doubt this one should bring somewhere in that range or more.
Now, I wish I had done that research before listing it for $185 !
I hated to put the pictures on here with a link to one of my websites since he swears he's going to smear me and my business to 1000s of hams and short-wave listeners and ruin my reputation,
You would think with crazed postal employees and others going nuts after being screwed over royally by people like this Goob, one wouldn't even think of doing the things this Locoweed claims he's going to do to me! (Over Nothing TOO !!! )[/quote]
mmaghakian

Post by mmaghakian »

here is a picture of the damge to a receiver described as collector condition, this is not dirt but the finish has been removed

W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

It's simple, just put the knob back on and the receiver will then be in mint condition.

:roll:
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

I recently came across an ad for a Galaxy 99 and RM HLA-150 Amp on Craigslist being sold as a Ham Radio.

I sent the seller an email stating that no self respecting ham would own a rig like that.

The seller: KB0XA

Anybody want to see the very nasty email I received in reply? Email me off list, I'd be glad to forward it along......can't post it here......I'd get banned.

kc0rey@gmail.com

Some things come back to bite you on the butt.
Steve - KA9MOT
KS4ED

Hmmm...

Post by KS4ED »

Galaxy 99s are 10 meter Amateur Band radios.
Just like the old Siltronix 1011Ds were... also a favotie of CB'ers.
If your are a "self respecting Ham" why did you even read the ad?
You poked him and he punched back.
Sounds kinda even to me.
Now you've poked him again by posting it here.
Some very well known Amateur Radio stores sell those 99s.
I'd bet he'll be getting back with you again.
KA9MOT

Re: Hmmm...

Post by KA9MOT »

KS4ED wrote:Galaxy 99s are 10 meter Amateur Band radios.
Just like the old Siltronix 1011Ds were... also a favotie of CB'ers.
If your are a "self respecting Ham" why did you even read the ad?
You poked him and he punched back.
Sounds kinda even to me.
Now you've poked him again by posting it here.
Some very well known Amateur Radio stores sell those 99s.
I'd bet he'll be getting back with you again.
Galaxy 99 radios are banned CB radios per the FCC. When is the last time you saw a Amateur Radio with an Echo/Robot/ Voice Changer Board ? Because the manufacturer calls it an Amateur Radio, does not make it so.
KS4ED wrote: Some very well known Amateur Radio stores sell those 99s.
Name One!
Steve - KA9MOT
Hammyguy

Post by Hammyguy »

The picture sure didn't look blurry to me, but even so if you look closely the radio certainly isn't "mint". There is wear on the brushed aluminum face and main tuning knob. Also if you look closely you can see the silk screened dots are missing.

Mike if you were looking for a "mint collector's quality" radio, all the evidence was right there in the picture for you to see that it wasn't. This is simply case of buyers remorse. You didn't like what you took out of the box. Now you're claiming he cheated you. Man up and stop this stupid nonsense. You certainly didn't get ripped off and the seller certainly doesn't owe you anything.

If the seller really was nice and felt sorry he could offer to refund your money. If you returned the radio at your expense just to make you go away.

It never ceases to amaze me the stuff that gets posted here over used equipment. You want new go buy new. Don't expect thirty year old gear to look like it just came out of the brand new box.
KS4ED

You may not know

Post by KS4ED »

KA9MOT. You may not know this but... the United States is not the world.
Anything made in China, Malaysa or Indochina is not being made just
for the United States.
And... there are far more active Hams in other countries of the enitire
world than there are here.
(The ARRL is now running Broadcast Radio ads encouraging people
to become Amateur Radio Operators. Why? The number of active
Amateur radio Operators in this country is dropping like a rock!)
The FCC only rules over the United States... not 200+ other countries.
Mobile Ham Radio is much much bigger in Europe than it is here.
Yes... those radios are illegal here. So are ones from Europe.
But... your unwarranted poke at the seller about "self respecting Ham..."
got answered with a punch.
Also... he had it for sale on Craigs list! Making your unwarranted poke
at him even more uncalled for! Even hookers run ads on Craigs list.
I'd love to have a dime right now for every Ham Radio Operator who
has sold illegal CBs, modified CBs and modified Ham Radios for CB,
Finally, no... you will not find most Amateur Radio Stores advertizing
Galaxy Radios on their web sites. But... go to any decent sized Ham
Fest where they set up and take a look. AES and HRO are not the only
Amateur Radio stores in the country. Like the number of active Amateur
Radio Operators... the number of Amateur Radio stores is dropping like
a rock too.
kb0xa

Re: The Poke From The Mouthy Jackass KA9MOT, STEVEN L HAYS

Post by kb0xa »

I still don't know why mouthy xxxxxx KA9MOT, STEVEN L HAYS, SR of MONMOUTH, IL sent me that nasty e-mail about the Galaxy CB.
I've been a ham for more than 40 years and I've never used a CB in my life!
A few months back, a local friend who I had been helping get his ham license lost his job and his home and came to me and asked if I would be interested in buying the radio, amp, D-104, and a new 52 amp power supply he had bought 6 months earlier.
He knew that I bought about every ham radio that came out and like to try the new ones and sell one off here and there as the room filled up and knew I was going to the Orlando Hamfest and thought maybe I could sell the stuff there.
He wanted to get $500 to pay the 1st months rent on a farm house he was trying to rent.
I asked him what he paid for all the gear and he said around $1000.
I gave him $1000 cash for it that same day to help out a Christian friend in financial distress.
Then this xxxxxxxx (who must sit in his basement in his underwear looking for somebody to harass with nasty e-mails) sent me a nasty mouthy e-mail telling me that no respectable ham would own this garbage!
Normally, I ignore psychotic mail from anyone mentally handicapped , since they surely don't have the capacity to act like normal human beings and to understand how stupid they are doing nasty things like that simply because they have nothing else to do.
If you don't like someone's price or description of an item in an ad, just move on to the next one like all the normal folks do!
Why be a jerk when it's so much easier to be nice and get along with everybody?
I sold the Galaxy and other stuff for $450 to an old ham buddy who has a freight company and he's going to give it to a new driver who can't afford to buy his own.
Everybody's happy on that deal, but why is it any business of that Mouthy xxxxx KA9MOT?

It sure ain't like it used to be before the Government decided to let all those 10-4 Good Buddy geniuses have a free ride on a ham license!

May God have pity on the poor sould who have to live and work with nasty spiteful people like Good Buddy Steven Hayes!