Australian scammer using other people's callsigns on ads

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
n2gbt

Australian scammer using other people's callsigns on ads

Post by n2gbt »

maybe too many years on the job-- there is a seller selling multiple TL922 amps- one listed at 775.00 which I committed to-- then a new one appeared for 900.00.

ship from zip code is different- both paypal addresses are not registered- seller using this call is from Georgia but the ship from zip is from elsewhere- wont allow local pickup- emails from this seller NOT indicative of someone holding a PhD.

i MAY be wrong but I got bad vibes here and would be remiss if I didnt at least post this here. Too easy to get scammed nowadays

If I am wrong I believe the seller would do the same in good faith.

(Note from KA9FOX: Indeed, these ads were posted by a scammer from Australia)
kd4e

Identity Theft is Being Prosecuted

Post by kd4e »

This is doc, KD4E.

This was a case of "identity theft". The legal authorities have been contacted and I understand that the perpetrator will be prosecuted.

Scott, KA9FOX, has assured me that this is being dealt with and there are no concerns for future "identity theft" on the list.

73, doc KD4E
w8jn

thanks

Post by w8jn »

thanks to both of you guys for posting. this is the kind of stuff that quickly ends scams and protects the rest of us! best 73's to both of you and happy hoss trading
paul w8jn
N8ERM

THANKS FOR THE POSTING!!!!!!!

Post by N8ERM »

Another reminder to:
Do your home work... Use this part of QTH.COM..... always google the call.... if the deal is too good to be true it is..... finally use the phone and do your homework again.
Happy trading, buying and selling.
Terry N8ERM
W4PIG

Post by W4PIG »

if it smells like a rat it is a rat thanks for the info 73s
W0AKG

KD4E Scam

Post by W0AKG »

Well. I fell for it and paid te Guy $840.00 via Paypal. Thanks to Scott and heads up by the first guy on this post, managed to notify Paypal and te money was refunded this afternoon. Next time I'll check the phone number a little closer. Thanks Scott. Alls well that ends well. Martin Tippin.
K4ICL

Use the phone...

Post by K4ICL »

If an ad has a phone number, always call the seller.
Sure beats all the hassles if the "seller" is a wannabe fat rat.
K4ICL
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

As K4ICL said, make the phone call.

When anyone tries to reply to an ad here on QTH.com, it warns them:
NOTE -- BEFORE YOU RESPOND:

1. We encourage you to read our Safe Trading Tips. If you are in a hurry, at least read KA9FOX's tips.

2. We encourage you to check out the Feedback Forum to see if the person you are about to deal with has any good or bad feedback from previous dealings. To make it easy, try searching for the person's callsign on the Search Page.
The link to Safe Trading Tips goes to: http://chat.qth.com/viewforum.php?f=5
The link to KA9FOX's tips goes to: http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=12

Tip #4 on KA9FOX's tips is Call the person and talk to them

Especially in light of this particular scammer, it would be very prudent to do so.

- Scott KA9FOX
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

K4ICL and Scott is right on about making the phone call. If i had followed that advice i would not have been taken. These scammers are good and getting better at it. I was fortunate i got my money back because Pay Pal who the scammer had not only set up a acct but did it using the hams call he stole gave me buyer protection. But it took me and the Ham whose call was used talking directly with Pay Pals security in Omaha to accomplish it. So by all means save your self the time and the trouble by following K4ICL and Scotts advice of preventing a scam CALL the HAM listing the item and did i state Call the HAM or person selling the item. By the way my scam was done on QTH.com and it's up to us to spoil there attempts as Scott has no real way of knowing if it's a scam or not.
Larry Huff K0pd
n2gbt

Re: KD4E Scam

Post by n2gbt »

W0AKG wrote:Well. I fell for it and paid te Guy $840.00 via Paypal. Thanks to Scott and heads up by the first guy on this post, managed to notify Paypal and te money was refunded this afternoon. Next time I'll check the phone number a little closer. Thanks Scott. Alls well that ends well. Martin Tippin.
Glad ya recovered Martin- I almost paypalled him too- but I am a real weary horsetrader- and what got me concerned initially was that this seller used TWO paypal addresses-- and didnt realize it- then asked me how he can become a registered paypaller-

This guy- once I committed to the TL922- killed that ad and posted a 2nd 922 for 900.00 I think-

Hopefully he gets prosecuted

Joe N2GBT
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Joe it must of been the same guy i got took by as he did the same thing,he posted a second TS2000 for more money than the one i bit on. Modus operandi to much the same to be a different person i would think. Unforunately i had already sent the money but it was there mistake of posting a second one that sent up the red flags in my case and then i called the number given to never have it answered. I probably called that number 20 times or more and the Ham in Mizzou whose call he used tried the number too. But like Martin Pay Pal returned my money also. For others who read all this i believe Pay pal returned the money for two reasons one is they were used by the scammer, and there protection policy,any way that is the impression they left with me.
Larry Huff K0pd