Which shipping method do you prefer? USPS, UPS, FedEx or ?

Discussion of various shipping and packing methods, tips and tricks.

For most shipments, which method do you prefer?

US Mail (USPS)
49%
UPS
24%
FedEx
28%
Other
No votes
I never ship anything!
No votes

Total votes: 68

KA9FOX
Site Admin

Which shipping method do you prefer? USPS, UPS, FedEx or ?

Post by KA9FOX »

I've been using the US Mail (USPS) for all my shipping. The local pharmacy has a USPS and UPS counter, but for UPS shipments they have a sur-charge... but not for USPS. Also, near as I can tell, USPS is cheaper, at least for most small shipments sent to residential addresses. That's my two cents. :D

73 - Scott KA9FOX
Free Ham Radio Classified Ads: https://swap.QTH.com
KC2KNK

Mailing preference

Post by KC2KNK »

Greetings from NYC,

I'm really not picky. Whatever is least expensive balanced with whatever is closest currently wins. UPS, FedEx, and USPS are all within walking distance. USPS is the closest, but not always least expensive. I shipped a battery backup for a computer back to the manufacturer yesterday via FedEx. 15lb package.

*shrug* It might be different for somone else though. I live in NYC and don't have the option of just pointing the car to the delivery place of my choice.

G
KC2KNK
N9OH

smoosh

Post by N9OH »

I've lately had UPS boxes arrived that looked like some big fat guy sat on them.
UPS is cheaper to send than USPS when you reach a certain weight. Then USPS charges up the wazoo.

+++ATH0

:)
W0LPQ

Shipping

Post by W0LPQ »

Scott, I could not vote on your poll. I have used all three (plus Airborne) and have YET to have any problems. I know some have had problems with UPS breaking boxes, USPS with crushing (like N9OH) and FedEx with boxes being tossed around, but I have never had a problem...why....beats me. Just not my turn yet..!

Bill, W0LPQ
KM5FL

My vote goes to USPS

Post by KM5FL »

My vote goes to USPS.. They are, in some instances, more expensive than UPS, but they more than make up for it with their reliability..

I've had nothing but bad experiences with UPS... It all started shortly after the UPS strike settled.. Of seven subsequent packages I shipped or received, five of 'em were damaged. They took forever to pay on a damage claim. A couple of the claims were denied.. Their excuse -- "improper packing" . I went to the local UPS facility and had a lengthly conversation with the manager.. After some probing on my part, I got him to admit that there is a handling quality problem at their Mosquite, (near Dallas) TX "hub" facility.. I live in Beaumont, TX and almost everything originating here goes to Mosquite first.. Since that conversation, I have never used UPS to ship anything.. When I make a purchase, I make every effort to get the shipper to ship via USPS..

KM5FL
kk4aq

shipping

Post by kk4aq »

:roll: ive used about every one and i personally like fed-ex.ive never had a problem with them.their ground service is about the same cost as the big brown truck but as far as i can tell they dont use temporary help like the big brown truck guys and packages are treated a little better and not thrown around as much and are delivered in about the same time frame and cost. as far as the post office i just sent a duplexor to a guy up north and it took him about 3 weeks to get it in the mail.ill never ship with the post office again. just my 2 cents and experance :D
jrayneal

Shipping preference

Post by jrayneal »

I have to agree with Scott and Nick,KM5FL.. For me, the USPS wins handsdown. Normally cheaper for small to medium size packages and at least to central LA, are faster than UPS.
So far I have had nothing damaged by any of the companies but I have had to, on several occasions, have the UPS guy stand there while I opened the package to check for damage due to the condition of the box.

Jerry KB5PN
oklahomasteel

shippers

Post by oklahomasteel »

i've used UPS,,USPS and fedex and i have yet to have a complaint on either shipper. unreal huh?
w4glm

Package Carriers

Post by w4glm »

Scott, I agree with you, mostly use USPS Priority mail and for smaller

residential packages IMHO, they are hard to beat, had only one minor

poor experience with a heavy UPS package sent to Michigan from here in

florida some years ago..Mac :D
WE8Q

USPS Priority Mail is the fastest!

Post by WE8Q »

I have used UPS and USPS Priority Mail many times and never had any problems with either one. But, for fastest service for the price, I always use USPS Priority Mail. I get three day service to Hawaii and Alaska from Ohio with USPS Priority Mail and that is typical. UPS three day service is much more expensive.
Steve Morgan - WE8Q
Arnie

Post by Arnie »

Hello All..

It depends on what I ship.. If the item is expensive
then I prefer UPS because the insurance is cheaper and they come to my home and pick-up the item..
It is very convient for me to have them pick-up here.. I do not drive and don't want to depend on others to go to a UPS drop off depot..

NOW if the item is small and inexpensive then I will
USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation..

Well there you go thats my 2 cents for what it is worth..

Arnie
N5OE

USPS and UPS only for me

Post by N5OE »

I use the USPS for probably 85% of all my shipping until the package is around 20 pounds or more. I have had GREAT luck with both, but it seems at least in my area that UPS bcomes the main shipper on larger packages.
I have yet to send a package from USPS or UPS that did not make it to the destination. And I have yet had to claim any damage or insurance on items I have shipped, but that is all in how you package the item !!
K7OAH

Post by K7OAH »

I have had excellent service from USPS...here in Phoenix....Sending UPS has become a pain here.
Skip,K7OAH
NX5W

Re: Which shipping method do you prefer? USPS, UPS, FedEx o

Post by NX5W »

:twisted:
Last year I had a amplifier shipped UPS, the driver not only just dropped the box that the amplifier was in but he gave me the right act on how many pounds that I was allowed to ship. "Somebody could get hurt moving something that heavy". Of course I opened up the Yaesu FL-2100b Cabinet to check to see if the tubes were still in there sockets. They weren't. Of course I still use UPS, but for some unknown reason that driver is not on this route anymore.
I really prefer the USPS. Not that they don't have there problems too. But it seems like they just do some things better.
73's, NX5W
NE0P

No to UPS

Post by NE0P »

Depends on the weight-for small packages, post office is cheap and easy. For slightly larger things FEDEX is great. I will not ship UPS. Fedex is cheaper than UPS, closer for me to drop off, and actually treats me like a customer. UPS always wants to open up my boxes because they assume I am too stupid to know how to pack something. Also Fedex is much quicker. UPS will usually send your package all over the country before getting it to you.
N5JFJ

Post by N5JFJ »

Well??? I dont know about all areas of the Country but here, in Silsbee Texas, and the Beaumont - Texas Area, FedEx uses "CONTRACT DELIVERY" for HOME Ground DELIVERY!!! Or shall I say they have contract delivery agents for home delivery service. Some of these Vehicles...aren't even Marked as FedEx!!! And I personally have had... quite a problem with different Deliveries I was waiting for on several occasions. One of these Boxes looked as if it was Dragged down a Dirt, River Road before the drop off here! Heck...who knows the Mood of a driver, the time of Day or the Moon Phase, and Does the Word "FRAGILE" mean...DROP-KICK??? About all I know that is Certain is pack it right and Place HIGH amounts of insurance on it...that gets True Attention and I am told that it gets special consideration...while Handling it going on??? Me...I don't know the Answer.
73's and May God Bless you and your Family
W1HQV

Shipping discussion

Post by W1HQV »

I am ticked off with people who insist on shipping heavy items PRIORITY MAIL when UPS ground is half the cost! I saw a $20 radio being offered on eBay this morning and the seller wants $20 to ship it. It's starting to become clear that some folks list things with low prices and their profit is in the shipping. Shame, shame. Let's play fair. When checking the cost of shipping, sometimes, paying a half dollar more to UPS is worth it because of the FREE $100 insurance and tracking that is offered. I find that STAPLES counter prices are about the same as if I brought it direct to UPS (within pennies). Worth looking into using STAPLES; all others in my area with UPS signs seem to have surcharges, not imposed by Staples.
n4nrw

Shipping preference

Post by n4nrw »

If it's a small package I generally use the good ole USPS. Never send any large parcel post packages via USPS! They will take forever to arrive. Sent three large pkgs to Calif. from the East coast and it took over 3 weeks via USPS :shock: ! UPS is not my favorite - but for the price it's hard to beat for large packages. If you want it there fast and undamaged, send it FedEx :D .
w5otp

best way to ship

Post by w5otp »

They are equally bad. I have had a 3 element beam turned into a pretzel. I have had a 4-1000's plate shaken loose from the mounts and left rattling around in the glass envelope!! I can't imagine how this was done. I have had a $50 resistor broken--one of a set!. I suspect that the people who handle packages are retired baggage destroyers from the airlines.
Insure-insure-insure is the only partial solution. IF you want it to get there in good shape--carry it yourself. I am amazed at the people who have had no trouble. I certainly envy them. Ralph w5otp.
Rob Gardner - WJ5K

FedEx Ground is my favorite

Post by Rob Gardner - WJ5K »

[b]I prefer FedEx Ground. Cheap and everything I have shipped with them has arrived safely.

73 gang ! :D [/b]
Rob - WJ5K
Tupelo, MS
N8GPQ

FEDEX has been the best for me

Post by N8GPQ »

I do a lot of shipping and have found FEDEX ground to provide the best service for your money. They also handle their shipments with more care than UPS does. USPS is also good but large/heavy boxes are expensive to ship. UPS is way done on may list simply because they don't handle their shipments with the care. OF course that is my opinon and I am sure others would say different. Ted N8GPQ
ka9ekg

Re: My vote goes to USPS

Post by ka9ekg »

I use to use UPS also,but use USPS now.1 month ago todate I shipped my Yaesu 920 to Indiana for trade in.This radio was only 6 months old.To make a long story short it was shipped via UPS,when it got there both the inner and outer box was crushed.I took out the x-tra insurence for the rig.I am still waiting for settelment.Not once has anyone from UPS called as promissed.I do testing of radios so I do not keep them long.It might be noted that the same 920 that I shipped via UPS was shipped to me via USPS with no damage.Any help out there how to battle this giant(UPS) would be appreciated.I have records of all the phone calls and receipts of all transactions.KEEP AWAY FROM UPS.73s Tom :twisted:
Scott

Post by Scott »

:D I use FedEx. I have used all of them and find that FedEx to send it quicker and for a cheaper price. Also the FedEx location here is open on Saturday.
N9DES
wr0t

Shipping

Post by wr0t »

I use FedEx ground all the time. I have too much loss with USPS Priority mail.

I have had however, 11 pagkages turn up missing when routing thru the DFW hub on their way to Houstin.

I lose stuff going to OH when shipping via UPS.

I have a lot of stuff coming to me from the West Coast via Priority Mail lost. I am waiting on 5 lost items from CA right now.

Never had a problem with USPS from the East, South on North.

Canada, forget that I do not buy or sell there, too slow and too much hassle.

I can ship and receive from Japan faster than Canada.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Proud to Fly the Flag Long Before Was Popular
kg6ajf

shipping

Post by kg6ajf »

:roll: I ship to japan a lot this inc. radio,s as well as ham related items I have done this for about three years and the best way is U.S.P.O all others have taken too long and cost is almost double . So For my vote the Good old U.S.P.O. is the only way