Backing out of a deal

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

eric wrote:Well im going to be the real man here and say I WAS THE ONE that backed out of the deal when he said that he was going to charge me 100.00 to ship the rig!!!! Thats nuts!!! The last time i shipped a Drake it cost me around 50.00 to ship all the items. I did find a better deal for $200.00 plus $35.00 shipping.
Fine.

But did you tell him right away you had decided to cancel the transaction? The complaint alleges that you simply ceased communication, and that he had to track you down to find out.

And if you think he should have figured it out from your non-response... look at it the other way; if you had a reasonable but unexpected delay in getting back to him to confirm or finalize the deal, and then found out he had sold the unit to someone else figuring you had changed your mind, how would you react?
KG4GPJ

Post by KG4GPJ »

W3WN wrote:
eric wrote:Well im going to be the real man here and say I WAS THE ONE that backed out of the deal when he said that he was going to charge me 100.00 to ship the rig!!!! Thats nuts!!! The last time i shipped a Drake it cost me around 50.00 to ship all the items. I did find a better deal for $200.00 plus $35.00 shipping.
Fine.

But did you tell him right away you had decided to cancel the transaction? The complaint alleges that you simply ceased communication, and that he had to track you down to find out.

And if you think he should have figured it out from your non-response... look at it the other way; if you had a reasonable but unexpected delay in getting back to him to confirm or finalize the deal, and then found out he had sold the unit to someone else figuring you had changed your mind, how would you react?
I guess the real "moral of the story" is that Sellers should never consider the item "sold" until the payment is received and CLEARED!!??

By the same token, Buyers should never consider an item purchased until you've sent payment to the Seller and the Seller has accepted payment and SHIPPED the gear!!??

At a minimum, an exchange of e-mails between Buyer and Seller agreeing as to terms of sale and each "agreeing" to perform as agreed would be a binding written contract in most states (but of minimal value when the parties are in different states). Having been both a Buyer and Seller of many items of ham gear on QTH and other forums, I guess I've been fortunate that my trading partners and I have managed to communicate well, exchanging e-mails as to terms, etc., and each side living up to what was stated.

Larry
K4AEC (ex KG4GPJ)
k4aec@arrl.net
eric

Post by eric »

problem is i lost contact with him. Its over, said, and done, and time to move on. Thats the only way i sell an item is i have to have cash in hand and/or the buyer telling me the $$ is on its way either Paypal or $$$ order. First person with thge cast to me get the item. I dont hold items for anyone. I dont do "good faith" (can you hold the radio until i get my welfare check?) deals with anyone even if the guy has been a ham since before WWII.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Well Eric it would be nice to see your call sign used,as to be honest about it and i'll man up which is to say if i decide to buy or sell something it is the buyers unless he tells me other wise. Same as when i offer a item for sale if you or anyone e mail's me or call's and says i want it and i'll send the money on such and such day i consider it sold.And mean while, while waiting for the payment if another should enquire i'll tell them i'm waiting for the promised money but if for some reason it does not come and their still interested i'll give them next shot at it. I've had to do this a couple of times but in both cases the original buyer notified me right away to tell me his plans had changed.
Larry Huff K0pd
w8jn

shipping costs

Post by w8jn »

ups store.... price gouging at its finest. take an item prepacked directly to fed ex or ups and it will cost $15 to ship and insure. take the same item to a ups store and they will badly pack it, ship it , have it destroyed in transit, charge you
$65 and have your claim denied even though they packed. a pat on the back to eric for telling him to shove it where the sun doesnt shine for a $100 charge to ship a drake rig. a 75 pound ft1000d from cincinnati to california is about $50. now we have heard the rest of the story!!!
best 73 paul w8jn
K4JC

Post by K4JC »

lhuffk0pd wrote:Well Eric it would be nice to see your call sign used
Actually Eric gave his call as K9FON a few posts earlier.

I think we can all agree that COMMUNICATION is the key in any transaction. Let the other party know what's on your mind. If you got buyer's remorse let the seller know. They would rather know you're no longer interested than have you disappear and be left in a lurch! If shipping is the issue (and I've seen some outrageous requests for shipping charges) it doesn't hurt to email the seller and say, "Dude, $100 for shipping? I checked with UPS/Fedex/USPS and they quoted me $50. Can you ship it for that?" All they can say is yes or no. As a seller I find "tire kickers" on almost every deal. Just keep in mind that, until you have the funds in hand, every deal could fall through. As others have suggested, keep a list of other people interested in your item. If the first buyer falls out, contact the next person. Business deals fall through every day - that's just the way business is. Where the animosity comes in is when one (or both) of the parties isn't upfront and honest. We're all in this hobby to communicate, so take Garrison Keillor's advice: keep in touch!
w8jn

communication?

Post by w8jn »

Vince,
I didnt know they had indoor plumbing and telephones in Lake Wobegone.
best 73 paul w8jn
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Well i must say i agree with K4JC and Paul both as $100.00 does seem high and that communications is to me very important. In fact i just bought and paid via Pay Pal for a rig yesterday and i'm quite disappointed that the seller did not even send a thank you i got the payment note. There reputation is very good on here outside of one person that he had a problem with communications with that he bought and paid for a item from. I have noticed over the last few yrs that many sellers of ham Equipment offer there item for a dirt cheap price but do a over kill on shipping which of course there doing to make up for what they did not get on the item.As for Eric i missed his call apparently but i still think it should be used always on this or other ham site's.
Larry Huff K0pd
kb5pn

Post by kb5pn »

Larry, I fully agree with you on communications. As either a buyer or seller on here (usually a buyer) I try to keep the other party informed each step of the deal. I normally pay with USPS money order and most of the time I scan the money order receipt and send it along with email letting them know that the payment is in the mail.

One thing that does irk me though is the feedback, I always leave feedback for the seller but as a buyer I have never had any feedback of any sort left on me.
C'mon guys, if you have a good buyer then leave feedback saying so....it helps others to know that you have a buyer that you can most likely trust to follow thru on the deal.

Jerry Neal KB5PN
AE4SH

Post by AE4SH »

I do the same, except i send the serial number of the USPS Money order.
i don't have a bank account or do paypal, a friend of mine lost $100 to paypal recently and they say it may take up to a year to get a refund less paypal fees.
AE4SH
Scott

kb5pn wrote:Larry, I fully agree with you on communications. As either a buyer or seller on here (usually a buyer) I try to keep the other party informed each step of the deal. I normally pay with USPS money order and most of the time I scan the money order receipt and send it along with email letting them know that the payment is in the mail.

One thing that does irk me though is the feedback, I always leave feedback for the seller but as a buyer I have never had any feedback of any sort left on me.
C'mon guys, if you have a good buyer then leave feedback saying so....it helps others to know that you have a buyer that you can most likely trust to follow thru on the deal.

Jerry Neal KB5PN
eric

Post by eric »

I dont know why some of you make a fuss over me not using my call on here. Im not on the air so who really cares. I dont. :P
eric

Post by eric »

Oh, btw, i just received a TR-4/Ac-4/ms-4 shipped to me from Tn. and guess how much i cost to ship it to me! $39.00 ! $100.00 to ship same rig to me is bullhonkey and a screw job.