Question concerning radio deal

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

I sold a couple of Motorola handhelds plus extras... $50 worth of extras for free...I didn't need them anymore.

Both radio worked here, and while I was unable to check the power output on either I used both on repeaters located 15 or 20 Miles away.

When the new owner received them he contacted me to let me know that one was not working properly (Low Power Output @ 200mW).

Long story short, I asked what he wanted to do, and he stated he wanted me to refund him $50 (he paid $70 for the radio) and he'd keep the rig and use it as a receiver.

I told him I would refund his money if he returned the radio or he could return all of the gear for a full refund. He decide to return everything for a full refund. Several days passed and no radios. Yesterday, he contacted me and said he was going to keep everything, but was unhappy about it. He says he works for the railroad but can not afford to ship these Handies back to me.

I have not replied to him because I don't know what to say. I feel bad and don't want him thinking I took advantage of him. Should I refund him the $50 he asked for, even though I cant examine the radio? Should I just let it ride?

I don't know what to do.
AE4SH

sold radios

Post by AE4SH »

hi steve,
if it was me i'd want all the equiptment back.
i had something like this happen to me.
i sold a kenwood ht to a new local ham.
he called a couple of days later and said the radio had no output.
i knew the radio worked because i checked to out myself.
well to make a long story short, i gave his money back and got the radio back.
later on i got a check from his dad .
his dad told me that he found out his son had hooked the rig up for aprs and he had not hooked to mic and speakers correct.
in other works he burnt the finals out.
from then on i made sure to ask exactly what they had done.
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

Hi Scott!
Nice to see ya.
I don't have any reason to doubt the guy. But then again, he could have bricked the radio while he was programming it. He could have just paid for the radio to get the extras, or the radio could be DOA.

As you know, I always try to test my radios so I can describe them before the sale. I don't like surprises.

I'm probably going to send the dude $50....It is going to be hard on me to do that (money is tight and times are hard), but setting here worrying about it isn't going to help me any either.
K4ICL

Wait!

Post by K4ICL »

The excuse he can not afford to pay to ship the gear makes me think he has already sold or traded some of it and is unable to return it.

So, what to do?

Nothing. It is no longer your problem. You gave him a fair option. It is not your fault he won't return the gear.

You have done what any reasonable person would be expected to do.

I don't see any reason to take a hit for $50 because your buyer made a bad decision.

K4ICL
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I agree with K4icl you've done all that you can do. I have to question the comment he made about not being able to fund the cost to return them But if it is bothering you and your thinking of giving in why not first make a counter offer. Tell him you'll refund him $25.00 and he keeps the radios or to send them back for a full refund. The point is to be firm as if the guy is trying a little con on you he will sense any weakness on your part. So here's my advice offer him the $25.00 and he keeps the radios or send them back for a refund. And by that i consider that more than fair.
Larry Huff K0pd
AE4SH

Post by AE4SH »

steve,
was the guy a ham.
if so , what is his call?
someone else or me might had had dealings with the guy as well.
the way the economy is none of us can afford to just give away 50 bucks.
i don't have that much for groceries for a week.
even if he dos'nt have a call i'd throw out his name and see if someone else has delt with him.
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

OK, I am not going to worry about it.
I have a fairly good reputation and I'd like to keep it that way.

Scott, He is a ham, and he has been a ham allot longer then I. I'm not going to post his call because I really don't want to dirty it up for him. He has not harmed me in any way. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't harming him.

If he gets dirty, I'll post it then and send him a link to this discussion.
KA9MOT

Post by KA9MOT »

I forgot to thank everybody for their advice.

Thank you very much. You've lifted a great load off of my shoulders.
I couldn't afford to send my grocery money to him anyway.....and that is why I sold the stuff.