Backing out of a deal

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kc0sme

Backing out of a deal

Post by kc0sme »

He will tell you he is sending funds and after a few days tell you he found one cheaper.................. :x
I am taking down the guys call, when I finally got word from him (I had to email him) that he was not going to follow through I was a little upset. If he would have told me I had a chance to sell it locally and that would have been that. I still feel like if you tell someone you are going to do something you should follow through. Thanks for the comments
Last edited by kc0sme on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w7hw

Re: BEWARE K9FON

Post by w7hw »

kc0sme wrote:He will tell you he is sending funds and after a few days tell you he found one cheaper.................. :x
I don't see a problem here, apparently the guy was shopping and informed you of finding a better offer. Why post a negative comment?? Just my opinion.....73 Duane W7HW :roll:
w8jn

clean hands doctrine

Post by w8jn »

steve,
based on your post, i assume you have never taken a car salesmans time without buying. you have never gone to best buy or hh greg, wasted a salesmans time about a tv or stereo and purchased elsewhere?
at least this guy had the courtesy to advise you not to hold the item. you should thank him instead of thrashing him in this forum.
happy hoss trading... paul w8jn
K4ICL

BIG problem!

Post by K4ICL »

I don't see a problem here...
I do.

If he agreed to send money, he agreed to the deal. This means he and the seller had a binding CONTRACT. Shouldn't we have a problem with people who brake contracts, especially in a business environment where honesty and commitment is important?

K4ICL
W4PIG

Post by W4PIG »

be glad he told you and move on with your sale. at lest he did not stiff you like some others have been done. i have had this happen to me on several occasions just move on and forget it. :? :? :?
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

It tells me the person should have notified you that he found a cheaper price and could you match it or other wise he was going to cancel his deal with you.Now that would have to me been the correct way to have handled it.
Larry Huff K0pd
kb5pn

Re: BIG problem!

Post by kb5pn »

K4ICL wrote:
I do.

If he agreed to send money, he agreed to the deal. This means he and the seller had a binding CONTRACT. Shouldn't we have a problem with people who break contracts, especially in a business environment where honesty and commitment is important?

K4ICL
I agree with you. I have a problem with people who break their word in any situation, not just business. Honoring a commitment defines part of who you are as a person.
k4kk

Re: BIG problem!

Post by k4kk »

kb5pn wrote:
K4ICL wrote:
I do.

If he agreed to send money, he agreed to the deal. This means he and the seller had a binding CONTRACT. Shouldn't we have a problem with people who break contracts, especially in a business environment where honesty and commitment is important?

K4ICL
I agree with you. I have a problem with people who break their word in any situation, not just business. Honoring a commitment defines part of who you are as a person.
I also agree. An "I'll take it" takes it off the market. If I tell you it's yours and I'm offered a higher price, it is already gone as far as I'm concerned. I would likely agree to keep the 2nd name and let him know if it fell through but the first guy has it ... even at a lower price. A deal is a deal. Continuing to shop is being a price whore.
w8jn

you're kidding???

Post by w8jn »

ed,
you are shopping for a new car. dealer "A" gives you a quote and you like the price. you tell your salesman you will be back tomorrow to sign the papers. that evening dealer "B" advertises the same car for $2500 less. tell me with a straight face you are going to spend that extra $2500 at dealer "A"??? i guess the situation is different when its your money?
happy hoss trading!
K4ICL

Not the same situation...

Post by K4ICL »

you are shopping for a new car. dealer "A" gives you a quote and you like the price. you tell your salesman you will be back tomorrow
This is a completely different situation. There are state laws requiring specific legal steps for a car sales deal to go through. There is NO DEAL until the required steps are followed.

Here, the discussion is about informal verbal contracts between two private trading partners. Such contracts are legally binding and enforceable in a court of law.

It isn't okay to ignore a contractual obligation and go find a better price. The searching-for-a-better-price should have been done before agreeing to buy and to send money.

So, what do you do if you get layed off on the day you made the deal or you have an accident while driving to the grocery store and can not go through with the deal because of sudden unplanned loss of ability to pay for the item on time?

You are obligated to contact your seller and work out a mutually agreeable solution for both parties. You DO NOT ignore your seller and just walk away from the deal. To do so is dishonest and is guaranteed to destroy your reputation, in the long run.

K4ICL
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

VERBAL AGREEMENTS AREN'T WORTH THE PAPER THEY'RE PRINTED ON!

At least get an email confirming any deal!

N9LCD
k4kk

Re: you're kidding???

Post by k4kk »

w8jn wrote:ed,
you are shopping for a new car. dealer "A" gives you a quote and you like the price. you tell your salesman you will be back tomorrow to sign the papers. that evening dealer "B" advertises the same car for $2500 less. tell me with a straight face you are going to spend that extra $2500 at dealer "A"??? i guess the situation is different when its your money?
happy hoss trading!
No, the situation is the same if it is MY money. I guess integrity is lost today.

In the off the wall example you cited (with nothing to do with amateur radio), I would probably take the ad with me the next day when I returned and try to get a better deal. If not, MY word is good. That used to be virtually uiniversal. I supposed now we have to ask, "Is your word any good?" Fer gawd's sake!!!!
KK7AZ

HORSE FEATHERS

Post by KK7AZ »

What a bunch of horse feathers. ALL the moralists are saying that if you found a Yaesu 1000d for $2000 and agreed to buy it, then you found one just as nice for $1200 you'd really send the extra $800........ I would give the first seller the chance to match the second deal, if he wouldn't match the price the deal goes down. Maybe that doesn't sound right ,but either do all the Moralists who say they'd blow another $800. Lets face it, until the money is in hand, you have nothing. As for getting an email on the deal....... that's a joke. And all the experts giving advice on a deal gone bad "Call your local police and FBI, internet fraud, AND YOUR LOCAL INDIAN TRIBE....... again, HORSE FEATHERS. They have much more to do. Now watch all the Moralists come back at me with "I'd send the money, because I said I would" Again "Horse Feathers" Always watch out for people who have to keep telling you how honest they are, over, and over. 73's
Hammyguy

Post by Hammyguy »

Intent to purchase is a "legally binding contract"?

Right...drag that into small claims and the judge will ask you "what was your loss?" . You will say "well he said he was gonna buy my radio and then didn't!".

You're not out any money and the ad was free to post.

You're out some time, nothing more.

Yes it was tacky how the potential buyer back out of the sale and left you hanging, but buyers backing out of deals happen all the time.

Is it worth the negative to the guy? All you've generated is animosity for posting about such a piddling little problem.
K4ICL

Not to put too fine a point on it...

Post by K4ICL »

Intent to purchase is a "legally binding contract"?
This is not about intent. When the man says he will send the money he has made a commitment to pay for the item.

Nuff said...
w8jn

read the facts

Post by w8jn »

some of you are not reading the entire story. the potential buyer did not vanish leaving the seller holding the bag! he told the seller he found a better deal. i love hoss trading. some buyers send money the same day and some vanish. if they vanish i simply relist the item. nothing lost.
best 73 paul w8jn

ps i agree, i used a bad example with the car sales. how many of you have called hro and took up 20 minutes of "chuck's" time getting details and a price, only to call "roger" at r and l to shop chucks price, then took rogers price to "luke" at aes and purchased from luke at aes las vegas? i am guessing you called roger and chuck back, apologized for taking their time and told them you shopped their price and purchased from luke at aes????
really guys... hams are the cheapest people on the planet. wellllll i guess this is another bad example because aes, hro and r and l are "big ham" like "big oil" and "big auto".
you guys remind me of patrick kennedy who moralizes and shames us for driving a suv while he pollutes the stratosphere with his private jet fuel exhaust. liberals always have "reasons" why rules apply to all us peons, but they are exempt!! har har har..............
ke4nu

What's cheaper than a ham?

Post by ke4nu »

A group of hams..!!! A person is only as good as their word...73, Alan
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

If you agree to buy an item at a set price, and change your mind, at the very least you owe it to the seller to tell them immediately so that they can move on to the next person.

I've been to too many hamfests where someone would say "set that aside for me, I'll be back for it later" and they never come back. In some cases, they found a better deal... fine, but meanwhile, I have the item out of circulation, and sometimes it remains unsold at the end of the day when I have had to turn down other potential buyers.

The worst one I can think of is when someone told me BEFORE a particular hamfest that they'd buy my Drake C-Line for a set price. Brought it to the 'fest, had it in the back of the van... the buyer never stopped. Oh, he was there, I saw him walk past (never looked at me, should have known right then) once, but that was it. He told me later that he'd spent the money on a Drake B-Line someone else had. FIne, but the rig went home with me unsold, and I had had to turn a few people away -- including someone who offered me more -- who bought other rigs from other tables.

Is it a "legally binding contract"? No. As someone has already said, a verbal deal is only as good as the paper it's written on. It's more a question of ethics and values... are you good to your word?

In the original situation cited, at least the potential buyer finally owned up to what happened. I don't think he should have taken so long to do it, though. At the very least, he should have told the seller "someone just offered to sell me the unit at (price), will you match?" but that's not really the point either.
eric

Post by eric »

So whats wrong with finding a better deal???? Waaaaaah waaaaah hams are too whiny!
w8jn

eric is correct

Post by w8jn »

the guy advised him that he found a better deal. based on some of the twisted logic here, you should pay too much for your home, for your new windows, your landscapping, your car, your stereo, your computer, your remodeling! there needs to be a federal law forcing people to pay the highest bidder for everything we buy because its the honorable thing to do. har har har
happy hoss trading and ps, make sure you spend to much money, buy from the highest priced retailer!!!!
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

eric wrote:So whats wrong with finding a better deal???? Waaaaaah waaaaah hams are too whiny!
Nothing.

But if you tell someone you'll buy the item at a given price, and then find a better price, at least have the courtesy to tell them you changed your mind. Otherwise they're holding the item for a buyer who will never appear. Which makes the would-be buyer look bad in the long run.
eric

Post by eric »

Well im going to be the real man here and say I WAS THE ONE that backed out of the deal when he said that he was going to charge me 100.00 to ship the rig!!!! Thats nuts!!! The last time i shipped a Drake it cost me around 50.00 to ship all the items. I did find a better deal for $200.00 plus $35.00 shipping.
N6VMO

Post by N6VMO »

eric wrote:Well im going to be the real man here
A real man uses his callsign on the forum... :lol: :lol:
eric

Post by eric »

N6VMO wrote:
eric wrote:Well im going to be the real man here
A real man uses his callsign on the forum... :lol: :lol:
Who cares. Im not operating on the air so i dont need to put up my call.
Oh heres my call! K9FON.
Happy? :lol: :lol: :lol:
eric

Re: eric is correct

Post by eric »

w8jn wrote:the guy advised him that he found a better deal. based on some of the twisted logic here, you should pay too much for your home, for your new windows, your landscapping, your car, your stereo, your computer, your remodeling! there needs to be a federal law forcing people to pay the highest bidder for everything we buy because its the honorable thing to do. har har har
happy hoss trading and ps, make sure you spend to much money, buy from the highest priced retailer!!!!
So i guess if i find a gas station that has unleaded for $2.69 a gallon and then find a station down the street selling it for $2.60 a gallon i need to pay more for my fuel????????
its too bad the poster has to get on here and whine, XXXX, and moan about the deal falling through. I say GROW UP, XXXX and move on!