N4NCJ

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N4NCJ

N4NCJ

Post by N4NCJ »

I dont know who left the feedback about smoked up radios i sold are now
trying to sale,But never said i did not smoke and never posted a radio that i said was from a none smokers home.I have sold 100's of radios on QTH and bought
many radios on QTH and have always been up front about ever thing i sold.
QTH is a place where every ham can find great gear and now i have been blacked
balled by someone who does not even have a call.
This a sham this could even happen.I hope that anybody that knows me will leave
good feedback to show how wrong this guy is
Thanks to QTH and all who know me as a outing ham.
Thanks for reading Donnie N4NCJ
dxer1950

Post by dxer1950 »

You are a heavy smoker, are you not? This is a fact that you try to hide. Recall the transaction with WN8BOB? Your response to his complaint of the radio stinking like cigarette smoke was “He did not ask and the radio had that smell when i got it.” A simple search of this forum will verify this.

If the owner of this site wishes to delete this, it's his right. Though that would be a dis-service to this community. It's also the right of folks buying stuff from you to be aware that you are a heavy smoker, and your gear smells of cigarette smoke.

As for not being a ham, I wasn't aware that being a ham was a requirement to buy/sell or trade on here.
K4ICL

You have to ask the right questions.

Post by K4ICL »

It's also the right of folks buying stuff from you to be aware that you are a heavy smoker, and your gear smells of cigarette smoke.
All you have to do to exercise that right is to ask the seller if he/she is a smoker and if the gear has been used in a smoker's environment.

What part of this common sense logic is hard to understand? Sellers are not required to guess all of a potential buyer's requirements. YOU have to ask the right questions.

Nuff said...

K4ICL
kb5pn

Re: You have to ask the right questions.

Post by kb5pn »

K4ICL wrote:

All you have to do to exercise that right is to ask the seller if he/she is a smoker and if the gear has been used in a smoker's environment.

K4ICL
Good call, I'm a smoker but when I sell something I assume that the buyer will ask me if they have an aversion to smoke. If they don't ask then I assume that it is ok with them.

I do clean the item the best I can and deodorize it the best I can however whether or not the person is a non-smoker.
Hammyguy

Post by Hammyguy »

Unbelieveable. Smoking hams still think that it's perfectly OK to not mentioned the fact that their radio looks and smells like the inside of a Nevada whorehouse.

A reeking stinking radio is a hidden defect that YOU as the seller should tell your potential purchaser. I've opened up at least three boxes in the past few years to be greeted by packing peanuts that reeked of smoke, microphones that I tossed in the trash since they stunk so bad, and manuals that needed to be burned. Then when I finally got to each rig I found yellow tar film on the knobs, display, and the insides of each rig was coated in tar all the way from the cabinets to the cooling fans.

If you purchased a new rig online and it had a skunk odor when you opened the box you'd be making a dash to the phone to find out why. Why weren't you told that the rig had an odor, and what is the store going to do to correct the problem!

But you expect potential purchasers to ask if the radio your selling has this hidden defect?

Right.
K4ICL

Again, ask the right questions.

Post by K4ICL »

Unbelieveable. Smoking hams still think that it's perfectly OK to not mentioned the fact that their radio looks and smells like the inside of a Nevada whorehouse.
Nope. I am not a smoking ham any more. I quit in 1980 and will not allow smoking in my envirnoment for any reason. I have been on the smoker-turned-antismoker bandwagon like you seem to be right now. After a few years I learned to accept the way things happen on the planet, including changing how I deal with the smokers. After all, I use to be one! Being a smoker does not make them/us bad. So, if you have a thing about smoking or the smell of smoke, ASK THE SELLER THE RIGHT QUESTIONS. Don't expect a seller to bow to your cause and don't attempt to villianize him, as you just have,with your poorly chosen words regarding Nevada. Just ask the seller the right question. If you don't like the answer, JUST SAY NO TO THE DEAL. But, don't blame him if you fail to ask. Sellers are not mind readers.

K4ICL
K4ICL

PS.

Post by K4ICL »

BTW, how do you know what the inside of a Nevada Whorehouse smells like?

Just curious. Never patronized one.

K4ICL
K9XR

Re: PS.

Post by K9XR »

I'll bet he worked for the phone company and was forced to go there to repair their phones

K4ICL wrote:BTW, how do you know what the inside of a Nevada Whorehouse smells like?

Just curious. Never patronized one.

K4ICL
dxer1950

Post by dxer1950 »

Since the buyer can’t inspect the equipment in person, “morally and ethically, it’s the seller’s responsibility to be sure that the buyer is completely informed.” “He didn’t ask, doesn’t cut it”.

Nuff said….
N4DBX

N4NCJ

Post by N4DBX »

I think it is a common sense thing to verify the condition of an item you are purchasing before doing it. You buy used stuff as is. You are the one buying, therefore you are the one that should ask the questions, especially if you are so concerned about the smell of cigarette smoke. If you are that picky about you would think that that would be one of your first questions. We are all hams, and to be honest I think that this is pretty stupid, I have talked to N4NCJ on the 80m and dont think that he got up that morning planning on screwing somebody over. I feel safer buying used equipment from Hams than anybody else, and that should be. If you got something that you were not completely satisfied with..well thats the way it goes. If you want something to be as new buy new. I hope that you guys settle this, cause this is disappointing to read. 73s to all who read
KB2VYZ

Post by KB2VYZ »

The above (Donnie, etc.) said it all. When you are buying an item...ask questions. There are a bunch of ads stating "No Smoke Home" or "Never around Smoke", so if it doesn't mention anything like that, take it that it has been around smoke, until you ask and are told otherwise. Another point to bring up is, not everyone selling an item here, is the original owner,, and they may not smoke. However, a previous owner might have been a smoker, who's problem does it become? How should it be advertised? Almost every radio that I have sold (or purchased), I have spoken with the other party on the phone. We are supposed to be good at communications, but reading some of the things in this forum, it makes you wonder. One other thing that really wanted to mention, is how much I really get a kick out of this guy, requiring the guy to post whether or not he smokes, in his ad. However, Mr. dxer1950, doesn't have the courtesy to mention his name or callsign in the above posts. What's next? AA/NA participation? Mental Health? Do yourself a favor Mr. Anonymous, go out front and hug your favorite tree...On second thought, maybe you had better not. Next you will be complaining about the splinters that you received from the tree, because you failed to find out, whether the tree was real wood or not.
Just a final note. Although I have never personally done any business with Donnie, I have dealt with a few very reputable hams on this site that have, and they have nothing but good to say about this guy, which is why I would not hesitate buying from him.

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!! They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa!!! To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time...
N4DBX

Post by N4DBX »

WELL SPOKEN KB2VYZ
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Ya , and what do the "lungs" look like? I still think its population control.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N8ERM

Should we disclose smoke or not?

Post by N8ERM »

I would never think of not disclosing to a perspective buyer if the gear I had to sell/trade smelled of smoke. Have you ever seen the insides of one of these gems? Non disclosure is like I puked in the rig but no one ask so it is OK. Or I spilled a coke in it but you didn't ask so here it comes to you and you own it. Beside the fact that these gems are nasty inside, the tar and nicotine makes trouble shooting a real pain. I have a nice looking (on the outside) MP here that I had to replace three IC sockets because the owner was a pipe smoker. Come on guys and gals we are are above this, do the right thing.
Remember to play nice and good trading/selling and buying.
Terry N8ERM
WN8BOB

CIGARETTE SMELL

Post by WN8BOB »

I think EVERY AD should state if the radio has been around smoke,some radios I have bought the ham stated'I DO NOT SMOKE" when the radio got here and REEKED of nicotine the response was" OH,THAT MUST HAVE BEEN THE HAM BEFORE ME" and you bought it "AS IS" come on now,most every ham DOES NOT WANT A CIGARETTE FACTORY in there home,state in your ad if it reeks of nicotine,why tride to HIDE it,because you don't want to lose a sale! it should be known one way or the other...WN8BOB BOB
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

I think EVERY concerned prospective buyer should ask the seller if the equipment has been used in a smoking environment.

If he says, "I don't know." or "I can't tell if it has or not." walk away from the deal.
If he says, "Yes." run away from the deal.
If he says, "Absolutely not, I am not a nonsmoker and I hate smoke stink." Buy it. Then, if the equipment shows up reeking of tobacco smoke, you have a right to return it for a full refund, including any and all shipping costs involved. However, if you DID NOT ASK, you own it, stink and all.

It doesn't get much simpler that this. This is called protecting yourself. Don't rely on someone else to volunteer to tell you about issues that might concern you. Instead, tell him what conditions you will accept and stand your ground.

Yes, it would be nice for all sellers to include the smoker contamination information but, remember, for a smoker, it is a non-issue. For him, smelling like that is normal to him. I know, I have been there. So, protect yourself, ASK!

K4ICL
dxer1950

Post by dxer1950 »

One thing this thread has done for me is too let me know who defiantly NOT to purchase used equipment from.
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

In many cases, unfortunately, INTEGRITY takes a back seat to greed. After all, they didn't ask did they? Sad..
KB2VYZ

Post by KB2VYZ »

Don't worry Mr. Anonymous, I wouldn't sell to you either. No Name, No Call, I ONLY deal with those that have names and callsigns, not to mention, a reputation that is good. With you my friend, that just doesn't seem to be the case. Is the sun not the right shade for you today? Pull down the blinds!

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!! They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa!!! To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time...
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

DX1950:

If you're TOO LAZY to use your brain, don't expect someone else to theirs on your behalf!

Now I know who not to trade with, and IT ISN'T N4NCJ!!!

N9LCD
ke4nu

All goes back to "do your research"

Post by ke4nu »

As I've stated in the past; read the reviews on the person your about to send your hard earned money to and if anything smells fishy or smokey then leave them alone. I for one have had a bad experience with N4NCJ in the past and will never ever do any business with him and I stated so on this forum before. Some people want something so bad they look past a bad review or two and then cry the blues when they get bit. I'm just saying do research on the person and make an informed decision and usually you'll come out okay...have a great 2010 to one and all..73, Alan
KB2VYZ

Post by KB2VYZ »

Terry, N8ERM, whom I respect very much, and is a top seller here on QTH.com. I absolutely agree that in communications with the party buying the rig, that the rig was in a smokers shack, however, since most of us don't just buy, but instead ask questions before the transaction, now if the seller lies about anything in his response, Scott should kick him to the curb. As I had mentioned earlier, it won't be long before we need to post our life history on here, like the last time my wife got lucky. Where does it end?

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ
ke4nu

This sums it up!

Post by ke4nu »

dxer1950 wrote:Since the buyer can’t inspect the equipment in person, “morally and ethically, it’s the seller’s responsibility to be sure that the buyer is completely informed.” “He didn’t ask, doesn’t cut it”.

Nuff said….
I have to agree with this statement when buying or trading gear via the internet. "Do the Right Thing" Happy New Year..KE4NU
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

As a former smoker who paid the price by having 5 heart bypasses i still am not judgmental about others smoking and will admit i now after 10 yrs of not smoking do smell the smoke on peoples clothings and in there homes. So what i'm getting at is i personally never think to ask about smoked around equipment nor mention it when i'm selling a piece of equipment.
It's not that i'm trying to be decietful but being as i no longer smoke or have people smoke in my home it just never occurs to me period to mention it when buying or selling. So if i get a radio that has a tobacco smell i would probably just say nothing because i never asked. I feel it would be equally mine as well as the seller faults for not asking. Fortunitely i've not experienced that .Just thought to throw my 2 cents worth so lets all have a great new year...
Larry Huff K0pd
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Good Lord...!!!
I guess us buyers need a checklist like this:
1. Does the rig function 100% according to the written specs in the manual for this model and manufacturing run.?
2. Are there any physical defects of any kind that were not evident when the rig first came off the assembly line?
3. Has anyone living or dead who ever smoked, thought of smoke or been near someone else that smoked, been within 50 yards of the rig?
4. Are there any parts or accessories that were originally packaged with the rig before the original seal was broken, missing, damaged or replaced with non-original parts or accessories?
5. Please forward 22 high definition digital photos of the front, back. top, bottom, left and right sides of the rig from 4 inches to 4 feet away..
6. Lastly...will you sign an affidavit stating that all of the answers 1 thru 5 are not a lie or you'll stick a needle in your eye!! :lol: