KI7ZZ Donald Hastings

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
KD5GYV

KI7ZZ Donald Hastings

Post by KD5GYV »

On 9-6-09 I answered a ad made by Donald Hastings KI7ZZ he had for sale a Ten Tec Centurian . Listing number 766892. It said that the box had not been opened since it was returned from the factory it was upgraded with the black cabinets, new 3-500 tubes and a electronic checkout. I saved for two years to get a good HF amp. He wanted postal money orders so I went and got them and sent off the money. The boxes arrived and when I opened them I could smell something burnt. So I opened the lid to put in the tubes and found a large resistor on the 220 board was fried to a crisp. Then I replaced the burnt part to find out that the transformer was also fried along with the QSK board and a pair of shorted out 3-500z tubes. I didn't even check out the high voltage board, most likely it is out too. So I have a 1900 dollar fried amplifier. Mr Hastings sent two replies to emails, the first was I probally done something wrong and then he would email me back and explain what most likely happened. Then he quit answering emails all together. I wrote several times and he will not reply. So that tells me he knew it was fried and just won't refund my money. I have never been so disappointed in someone in all my life. I guess there is nothing I can do about it, except warn all of you honest Hams to please watch out for Donald Hastings KI7ZZ. I am glad this happened to me and not to any of my friends out there. You live and learn. I have bought alot of equipment from this site and never had one thing come in that wasn't just as described. I want to thank Scott for trying to get a reply from Mr Hastings on this matter, he didn't get one either. Mr Hastings, I hope you can live with treating other people like this, I don't think you would appreciate it being done to you. God Bless You, Donald Hastings. Signed KD5GYV
KD5GYV
Clyde
hamradman

Post by hamradman »

I don't know about you but I could not afford the $1,900 loss. If it was me I would be contacting the police in his town and reporting it as internet fraud. He said one thing and you received another.
KD5GYV

Donald Hastings Scam

Post by KD5GYV »

The only bad thing is that when his local police is called and if they arrest him, I have to go to his town to testify. Im in Louisiana and he is in Arizona. I guess thats why he got someone way off to buy it. I have to work and going way over there would be almost impossible. Im trying to think of something, maybe FBI white collar crimes. I just don't know. Thanks
KD5GYV
Clyde
hamradman

Post by hamradman »

Thats not the way it is with internet fraud. The law knows that internet fraud happens in some cases many miles apart. If you have all the e-mails he sent you and the listing he had posted and the item he sent you, then you can file an internet fraud claim.
KD5GYV

Update

Post by KD5GYV »

I got a letter from one of Mr Hastings friends. He was telling me that I would not have my ham license very much longer because of my post. He said I was wrong and that Mr Hastings did nothing to deserve this. He said that he and four other witnesses were there when Mr Hastings opened the box from ten tec and there was nothing wrong with it. Mr Hastings said there was two ham friends of his there when the box was opened. He said that it had just come back from ten tec, the only receipt was in the box and it said that it was struck by lightning and it costs 918 dollars and was dated the year 2006. I have it. If it was repaired in 2006, why did he wait three years to open it and then say he said it had not been out of the box or plastic since back from ten tec. I am going to attach he only replies to me along with the ad. This is just for record.
Also Mr Hasting's friend didn't have a return address or was it signed. I guess he didn't want me to know who he was, I guess.

Listing Number: 766892
> Date Ad was Placed: 09/06/09
> Name: Don
> Phone Number: 480-818-3023
> Callsign: KI7ZZ
> Category: AMPHF
> Heading: TEN-TEC AMP.
> Ad Message:
> CENTURION 422 HF Amp, Has not been out of boxes or plastic since back from Ten-Tec. Was upgrated with new black cabinet, new pair of 3-500 tubes & electronic checkout, manual, boxes. $1900 U-ship. May take part trade if I can use and in excellant condition.
>

This was his replies, compare them to his ad.

Subject: T.T. Amp
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:38:04 -0700

Clyde, I need you to email me a copy of paper work that you are refering to. This first part is what I sent you on 9-22-09 pm from another competer. For what ever reason it don't sound like you got it.

I am trying to figure out when things went wrong. I did not try out the amp because I don't have 220v in the room. The burnt smell really has me puzzled. Two ham friend were over and wanted to see it, all I did was pull the top foam cover up for a look but left the amp in place. You would think te smell would be their being closed up. neather said any thing or rembers it. This part got me going. Is it possibable that vibration in transit caused a short or ?? What paperwork are you talking about and where was it? The reason I need this is to confront the ham I got it from, who lives 100 miles from me.

9-24-09

I was not aware of lighting strike, bad tubes or transformer. Did you get this from T.T. or the paper work? If from paper work i did not see because did't remove tubes or amp. Please scan & email me it.
You trusted me like I trusted the Ham I got it from. If I get the paper work I can talk to that ham and get it worked out from this end. I was'nt given all the right information.
Just to let you Know I've been selling almost all my ham stuff and personal items I've built up over the last 8 years but because of lost income, selling to keep my place. Just facts. So give me a little time to work yhis out for you. Sorry Don Ki7zz

The last paragraph says why this was done to me. I am out 1900 dollars and have no choice but to buy, tubes, transformer, QSK board and hope it fixes it. This is the most expensive amplifier I have ever bought. And it still isn't working.
Thanks to all of you for giving me a chance to express myself at at least get it off my chest. I do not, for any reason want any of you to have to go through this.

Clyde
KD5GYV
KD5GYV
Clyde
hamradman

Post by hamradman »

You don't believe this Hastings idiot do you? How can you have your amateur license taken away because of what you post here? That guy has to come up with better scare tactics then that! Ask him what are the calls of the amateur friends that saw him open the box. Hastings is full of it and he proved it in the e-mail he sent you!
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Make him come to you and fight it out on your grounds.

Sue him in your local small claims court. In the Clerk of your Parish Court won't or can't explain small claims "down home style", call a local law school or university. Maybe they'll help.

N9LCD

NUKE 'EM NOW!!!

:twisted:
K4ICL

Contact TenTec

Post by K4ICL »

I don't have a magic solution to the situation but I do strongly urge you to contact TenTec and determine from them what work was done on the amp. Be ready to provide them with the model number, dates, receipt number, customer ID, shipping data and any other info you have they might need to determine which amp it is and what work was done on it.

I would not email them, initially; instead, call them and establish a cooperative relationship with their support team. Also, limit your discussions to what work was done by TenTec and avoid discussing the issue about the seller, shipping, etc. Keep it simple and focus just on the repair history of the amp.

If you are successful, you will be in a much better position to settle this issue. Verifying the TenTec repair history is the key to the solution.

Good luck on your quest.

K4ICL
k0bx

Contact Ten-Tec

Post by k0bx »

I think contacting TT would be the way to go.
The repair cost $900+ would signal me that the damage was there before it went to TT.

I wonder if he said it was too much and had them just ship it back?? Then forgot he didn't get it repair.

One way is to look and see if it has the new black front pannel. If not, then no repairs were done.

The seller seems to be a Good Guy.

Joe K0BX who bought a TT 422 amp off of this site, and it works fine.