WHY NO RESPONCE WHEN CONTACTED ?? WHY ??

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
WTBOURLET

WHY NO RESPONCE WHEN CONTACTED ?? WHY ??

Post by WTBOURLET »

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHY OVER THE LAST YEAR, 2 OUT OF 3 TIMES I HAVE CONTACTED A PERSON WITH SOMETHING FOR SALE, I GET NO RESPONCE ?? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND ?? AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG ?? THANK YOU, WILIE
K4ICL

Challenged?

Post by K4ICL »

Some people are social behaviors challenged?
K4ICL
WA5JAV

No Reply

Post by WA5JAV »

I sell Wurlitzer jukebox parts, tubes and 45 rpm records via my website. I receive inquiries asking for availability, price, shipping and such. I spend considerable time locating the items along with pricing and shipping estimate. I then send a reply thanking the person for the inquiry. Most of these I don't hear from again. Not even a courtesy thanks.
kk9a

Re: WHY NO RESPONCE WHEN CONTACTED ?? WHY ??

Post by kk9a »

WTBOURLET wrote:CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHY OVER THE LAST YEAR, 2 OUT OF 3 TIMES I HAVE CONTACTED A PERSON WITH SOMETHING FOR SALE, I GET NO RESPONCE ?? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND ?? AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG ?? THANK YOU, WILIE
This has happened to me many times and my inquires are usually just asking if it is still available or what the condition is. I do no understand how people expect to sell their items when they do not respond.

John KK9A
w7hw

No response

Post by w7hw »

Many variables here......time contraints of individuals, attitudes of inquiring responses, inquiries of items listed, some items attain a deluge of inquiries,
payment required, ect....

I like to respond to a seller...."if no longer available, disregard this inquiry"...saves them time, works for me.....When I sell/trade, I try to answer all questions, but that is easy for me, I don't have the large volume of "stuff"as some of the individual ads I read.

73 Duane W7HW
wx1f

Re: WHY NO RESPONCE WHEN CONTACTED ?? WHY ??

Post by wx1f »

WTBOURLET wrote:CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHY OVER THE LAST YEAR, 2 OUT OF 3 TIMES I HAVE CONTACTED A PERSON WITH SOMETHING FOR SALE, I GET NO RESPONCE ?? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND ?? AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG ?? THANK YOU, WILIE
That's why I call the phone number in the ad. Some people are computer challenged and have others check their email for them.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

The quality of the inquiry counts!

I received two inquiries to an ad. One was a brief, well thought out inquiry. The other was a rambling, poorly composed "I want it now" inquiry.

I was able to identify the sender of the first inquiry. I couldn't penetrate the "screen name" of the second inquirer. I'm going with my first inquirer; he knows what he's getting into.

IF YOU WANT A RESPONSE:

1. Identify yourself especially when the item is "pick-up only". Most sellers want to know who they're dealing with.

2. Restrain yourself! Don't come on with an "I gotta have it" attitude.

3. Neatness counts! Send a carefully composed, well thought out and readable inquiry.

JERRY

N9LCD
w6aws

Well said Jerry N9LCD!

Post by w6aws »

Could not agree more!

Might also add that identifying with your call IMHO matters. Anonymous inquires on Ham gear without indication of a license raises a red flag to me!

May limit my market, but that's my choice.

N9LCD wrote:The quality of the inquiry counts!

I received two inquiries to an ad. One was a brief, well thought out inquiry. The other was a rambling, poorly composed "I want it now" inquiry.

I was able to identify the sender of the first inquiry. I couldn't penetrate the "screen name" of the second inquirer. I'm going with my first inquirer; he knows what he's getting into.

IF YOU WANT A RESPONSE:

1. Identify yourself especially when the item is "pick-up only". Most sellers want to know who they're dealing with.

2. Restrain yourself! Don't come on with an "I gotta have it" attitude.

3. Neatness counts! Send a carefully composed, well thought out and readable inquiry.

JERRY

N9LCD
NY7Q

REPLYING

Post by NY7Q »

Anyone who will not reply is a JERK. A simple YES or NO will usually work in a reply....
CW TODAY, TOMORROW, AND FOREVER.
kg8lb

Re: REPLYING

Post by kg8lb »

NY7Q wrote:Anyone who will not reply is a JERK. A simple YES or NO will usually work in a reply....

EXACTLY ! And this is a perfect filter. Any JERK who fails to respond because he has several unknown "standards" that you may or may not have met to his satisfaction is a JERK that you probably would rather not buy from or sell to.

There are still others who are just too plain LAZY ! They sell the item and are too stinking LAZY to remove the ad . They then push the blame back on the respondent claiming the email was not from a verifiable (?) source or the response was improperly written etc.

LAZY people are best avoided as well.

Hey ! If you sold the junk, delete the ad. Pretty simple eh ?[/b]
W1JCW

Re: REPLYING

Post by W1JCW »

KG8LB wrote:
NY7Q wrote:Anyone who will not reply is a JERK. A simple YES or NO will usually work in a reply....

EXACTLY ! And this is a perfect filter. Any JERK who fails to respond because he has several unknown "standards" that you may or may not have met to his satisfaction is a JERK that you probably would rather not buy from or sell to.

There are still others who are just too plain LAZY ! They sell the item and are too stinking LAZY to remove the ad . They then push the blame back on the respondent claiming the email was not from a verifiable (?) source or the response was improperly written etc.

LAZY people are best avoided as well.

Hey ! If you sold the junk, delete the ad. Pretty simple eh ?[/b]

Well said !!

Amen !!

I respond to all inquiries when the item is sold or SPF.

I expect a reply specially when I request one.

Two words left out of this post would be inconsiderate and courtesy.
73 -

W1JCW
John
K4ICL

Barking at the moon?

Post by K4ICL »

Say we are walking down the street in a really BIG city like NY or LA. Would we expect EVERY person we meet on the street to be kind and considerate and patient and courteous and caring and sensitive to our needs?

Probably not.

When we see a lot of people like that, up close and personal, we expect some tp be grouches, meanies, dullards, uglies, bullies, and, in general, people we would never put on our Christmas Card list.

So. Why would we expect meeting people here in the world wide Internet, a much larger crowd than we will ever see walking down the street, to be any different?

The good, the bad, and the ugly really exist and will always exist. NOTHING we do or say now at any time in the future will change things.

We just have to deal with it and move on...

AL
Hammyguy

Post by Hammyguy »

Wow, you guys are really hard nosed.

Just a few days ago I responded to a post. No response the first day. Again I sent a reply. Nothing the second day.

Was the guy being a "JERK"?

No. It turned out the my email had been going into his junk mail folder, along with his credit card company mailing, and all sorts of important items. The spam filter on his ISP had really aggressive filtering that had failed.

He spotted the email when he did a regular dump of the folder.

The rig is on the way. He's a very nice guy who I had a very pleasant phone conversation with.

That's the trouble with email. You have no idea if it made it to its destination or not.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

"Techies" won't admit it, but the 'Net is as bad as the Postal Service when it comes to losing mail.

2 to 3 percent of ALL email is "lost in transit". The percentage is higher with certain service providers, maybe as high as 7 to 10%!!!!

N9LCD

:shock:
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Most the Hams i've inquired about a radio have usually responded,some bluntly yes or no and others who go into giving good detail of there equipment which is usually the one i buy from if all is agreeable. To those who do not respond i consider the item must be sold.The ones that amaze me are the ones who respond a couple of days later just to tell you they sold it right after the ad came out.To them i say why bother now to tell me.
Larry Huff K0pd