Bogus calls

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
n9avy

Bogus calls

Post by n9avy »

Just placed an ad and the first response was from a "ham" using calls of LY1MA and KA9RA, both of which appear to be non-existant according to QRZ.
If someone doesn't have a legitimate callsign, I won't deal with them.

n9avy
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Looked the calls you gave up on Buck Master also with no results.I have often found calls listed on Buck Master that were for what ever the cause not on QRZ. Thanks for the warning...
Larry Huff K0pd
ab7r

What's in a call?

Post by ab7r »

Love that call, N9AVY! :)

I had K7NAV for awhile.

Greg
AB7R
n9avy

Re: What's in a call?

Post by n9avy »

ab7r wrote:Love that call, N9AVY! :)

I had K7NAV for awhile.

Greg
AB7R
Some of my ex-Navy friends tell me it's a MILLION DOLLAR call. I offered it to them for 1/2 price .... :lol:

jerry
N8ERM

COULD BE A MISTAKE?????

Post by N8ERM »

I have had this happen numerous times, most of the time they don't check before sending the emails. On the FCC site there are 12 calls that start out KA9RA. You might want to check them out and see if that will help you ID the one with the US call.
Terry N8ERM
n9avy

Post by n9avy »

By the time I figure out that the email "ka9ra" was actually the guy's initials backwards or as he would be listed in phone book, the antenna was sold.

It really helps if one uses a currently listed call and not an expired one or something that looks like a real call, but isn't.

The guy may be legit ...
VE2AMN

Post by VE2AMN »

Funny, but in french, when spelled backwards, you get the equivalent of "scam"....
ARNAQUE :lol:
Gilles, in the great white north..
n9avy

Post by n9avy »

VE2AMN wrote:Funny, but in french, when spelled backwards, you get the equivalent of "scam"....
ARNAQUE :lol:

sacre vache !