SCAM BY MARK THOMAS INTL RADIO SERV. DIV OF FT PIERCE FLA

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
micky

SCAM BY MARK THOMAS INTL RADIO SERV. DIV OF FT PIERCE FLA

Post by micky »

Reading their ad attached to this site, I sent them my atlas 210 for alignment in March 2009. They advertise 2 to 4 wk turnaround. They acknowledged receipt of my radio in good condition. After 4 weeks I sent them a mail asking about my rig. My emails were ignored. Their phone always has an answering machine. They never retruned my calls. Finally, in May 2009, Mark Thomas sent me an email saying "your rig is now on the bench and will tell you more next week". It is now July 2009 and I have heard nothing from them. I have phoned, faxed, emailed without response. I sent a certified letter which they did not accept. I sent them a letter to return my rig, fixed or not, which was ignored. I can only deduct that they have either destroyed my radio, sold it, or decided to keep it for their own use. Why they will not communicate or simply return my radio, fixed or not, is beyond logic???? Has anyone else had a similar experience with Mark Thomas of Inl. Radio Serv. Div.?
K0RS

Post by K0RS »

I have recently attempted to contact them to purchase tuner upgrades for my FT-1000D but have had exactly the same experience. No phone calls returned, no emails returned. International Radio Service Division has a website here on QTH. It would be interesting if Scott could provide some insight regarding this business. They have been around for a long time, it would nice to believe there is a legitimate problem, perhaps with health or some other that will be resolved soon.
K4JC

Their service is good but slow

Post by K4JC »

I have had several radios repaired by Mark at International. Living within a reasonable driving distance I usually take my equipment to him in person. I can tell you from experience that Mark does great work, but 2 to 4 weeks turnaround time is definitely not realistic! I've found it usually takes about 6 months before getting a rig back. His shop is pretty jammed up with a backlog of work, and since he is a staff of one I can see why it takes so long. So just sit tight, you will get your radio back, but it will be a long wait.
AA6ZE

Post by AA6ZE »

Maybe a phone call to Mark"s local police would shed some light on the matter,or at least get the rig returned to you.
W4LTD

Re: Their service is good but slow

Post by W4LTD »

K4JC wrote:I have had several radios repaired by Mark at International. Living within a reasonable driving distance I usually take my equipment to him in person. I can tell you from experience that Mark does great work, but 2 to 4 weeks turnaround time is definitely not realistic! I've found it usually takes about 6 months before getting a rig back. His shop is pretty jammed up with a backlog of work, and since he is a staff of one I can see why it takes so long. So just sit tight, you will get your radio back, but it will be a long wait.

From the website of International Radio Service:

Turnaround Time, Rates and Estimates
Our turnaround time usually runs between two and four weeks,
but occasionally can be longer and on rare occasions is less.
You can call or e-mail us to find out what the current turnaround time is.

It seems as though he should, at least, answer the phone and/or e-mail inquiries...
W1JCW

Ham Radio Repair

Post by W1JCW »

Sorry to hear about your issues..just makes you sick.

I highly recommend the guy I use in Tx.

http://www.hamrepair.com/
73 -

W1JCW
John
AA6ZE

Post by AA6ZE »

Any luck getting your rig back from this clown? 73