A Secret Group of Hams

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
sparkchaser

A Secret Group of Hams

Post by sparkchaser »

:?: Somewhere out there in ham land there must be a secret group of hams that have superior knowledge and understanding. I have been around radios for more years than I can remember, thought I had a pretty fair understanding of terms, models, and abreviations.
However, when I look over the postings here on QTH, I keep seeing "words" not in my dictionary, that describe a piece of equipment. I often wonder if I am missing out on some really neat gear because I haven't kept up with the times.
Or, the other posssibility, some folks can't spell, form a sentence, or maybe are just not able to understand how confusing their posting is to the general community, or maybe its just me. :lol:
wa8mea

Post by wa8mea »

-
Last edited by wa8mea on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

WA8MEA:

I concur. This hobby is not only about technology, but it's about COMMUNICATING

I strongly suspect that many posters lack the mental capacity to express themselves in a rational, cogent manner and to comprehend somebody's else's thoughts.

Anything beyond "5 9" and "PLS QSL" is beyound their cap[acity.

N9LCD

:roll:
n9emz

Post by n9emz »

There's a flipside to this coin. There's another group of HAMs with poor reading comprehension, dyslexia, and/or are so engrossed in what they want or think that they completely disregard/overlook/misinterpret key elements in what they read.

Be that as it may, it takes all kinds to make up a world, and it's a wonderful world for the shape it's currently in.

wa8mea

Post by wa8mea »

-
Last edited by wa8mea on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

BILL -- WA8MEA:

There's another problem and, boy, do I know it 'cause I just did it again:

FAILURE TO ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN GEAR TO HOLLER BUY!

I saw a listing for an Eveready-Raytheon 4-Pillar 236 tube on eBay, COMPLETE WITH PICTURE(S)! Nice, S-shaped tipped bulb.

Wanted to add this 4-Pillar S-shaped tube to my collection, so I started bidding and won the auction.

Got the tube, in great shape. Started to write it up for my collection. That's when It dawned on me: THE GRID CAP WAS MISSING!!!

WITH AT LEAST FIVE RECEIVING TUBE REFERENCES AT MY OPERATING POSITION, I DIDN'T BOTHER CHECKING THE 236/36 BEFORE HOLLERING "BUY"!

I only have myself to blame for this one: it was all there in front of me.

N9LCD

:oops:]