Tom Stack, WQ5J - BEWARE

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w0bkr

Lovely response...

Post by w0bkr »

ne6v wrote:
w0bkr Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 am Post subject: WQ5J - What's going on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live just down the street from Tom. I drive by his house weekly. I see his tower, his cars outside, and I too have e-mailed him about a non-radio purchase issue only to not hear from him.

Tell you what...if you read all of the post in this topic, you will see there are a great number of hams that have been "screxxx" by him. Since you have "steped up" and made mention you and only you live so close to the dude. I suggest you reach down give yourself a tug or two. Become a man and go knock on that flakes door! You can approach it 2 ways. #1 say hi blagh blagh, ask him if he was going to do anything for fieldday...small talk....then right before you end it, you pull out your cell phone and say, hey tom, can I get your phone number so I can have it...I'm sure he'll give you something....then return here and POST IT SO ALL THE SKELTON'S IN HIS CLOSET CAN COME OUT. #2 way: Is the approach I like but thats me, I'd go to his door ask for him... start talking small talk... get him comfortable...then hit him with it," say Tom there's about a half dozen hams that say you have STOLEN their equipment or MONEY...what are you going to do about it...Their's a whole bunch of dudes that say you're a thief...what's happened to you man? I'm sure this approach is much more....up in his face.. just be prepared for ANY KIND OF RESPONSE.

Last note...we don't know if the flake is reading these.. he just may be and then he'll know what your up to!

de
NE6V :lol:
If I see him outside, I will stop by. I don't approach anyone under the guise of an accusation. I suspect Tom has been having some problems, which I hope to find out about. Public knowledge, his phone is listed: 817) 441-5767
You can call him also. Haven't heard anyone mention that, only his cell which I wouldn't bother about. When I have time, I will stop by and inquire, but certainly not under the attitude of some I have seen on here.

I prefer to be a caring friend and ask. Which I will.

BTW: Do you have a personal interest in Tom or just spewing butt generated inane comments? Are you trying to help like others are or just stirring it up?

Recommendation: Butt out if you have nothing of real interest or value to provided.

Bye Bye
Last edited by w0bkr on Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
w0bkr

Info

Post by w0bkr »

I did speak with a friend of Tom's and Tom fell into some very severe financial situation, which I am not privy to. I understand he lost his business, and no longer is posting gear on QTH either.

In fact, some of his fellow "traders" aren't even able to get a hold of him. I think it was some family issue that caused the financial issue. Other than that, I won't bother the man under such duress. He can read and post his responses here. I understand he is working somewhere now and hopes to get out from behind all this stuff.

As to what about all the issues voiced here, he will have to answer to the individuals one way or another. Eventually, to God.

If I have the opporunity to chat with him, I will alert him to the concerns here. A man's reputation is priceless but left unattended, will be drug the mud unless some sort of rebuttal or update from the individual himself is made.

I can appreciate that situation, but not the ignoring inquiries, etc.
wx1f

Re: Info

Post by wx1f »

w0bkr wrote:I did speak with a friend of Tom's and Tom fell into some very severe financial situation, which I am not privy to. I understand he lost his business, and no longer is posting gear on QTH either.

In fact, some of his fellow "traders" aren't even able to get a hold of him. I think it was some family issue that caused the financial issue. Other than that, I won't bother the man under such duress. He can read and post his responses here. I understand he is working somewhere now and hopes to get out from behind all this stuff.

As to what about all the issues voiced here, he will have to answer to the individuals one way or another. Eventually, to God.

If I have the opporunity to chat with him, I will alert him to the concerns here. A man's reputation is priceless but left unattended, will be drug the mud unless some sort of rebuttal or update from the individual himself is made.

Anyone that's a true friend of his would peel off about $30 each to help him ship back the rigs he's sitting on. As for the cash he owes.....If he owed me, there would be a bench warrant issued long before now.
ne6v

Post by ne6v »

wx1f Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:50 am Post subject: Re: Info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

w0bkr wrote:
I did speak with a friend of Tom's and Tom fell into some very severe financial situation, which I am not privy to. I understand he lost his business, and no longer is posting gear on QTH either.

Anyone that's a true friend of his would peel off about $30 each to help him ship back the rigs he's sitting on. As for the cash he owes.....If he owed me, there would be a bench warrant issued long before now.
AMEN to that!! I agree 100%. No matter what the "personal" problem is or was dude has or had, he needs to handle business. Business is business and going the route he has gone is and was NOT acceptable. Sad matter of truth is, your only as good as your last transaction...so no matter how much positive feedback someone has, everyone is just "a snap" away from going bad, this dude is an example of that.

No matter how much $$$ his friends put in the kittie, those rigs are LONG GONE...he sold them kept the money and probabley bought himself a bottle of some nighttrain, to get through those "problems"... or maybe some Jack, a nice bottle of Jack can wash away a lifetime's worth of problems for a good night or two...This is a sad story about a dude that's nothing more than a cheat and a thief... I'll call it as I see it...an ace is an ace and a spade is a spade...and dude is a thief and a cheat... and he can careless about friends and ham radio.. so anyone out there... that cares about protecting dude and will not step up... are being fools cause dude doesn't care about you... Mr.Tom, cares about 1 thing and 1 thing only... and it ain't his ham radio buddies, customers or QTH.com... :lol:

de
NE6V
K4ICL

There are many good reasons, here is one...

Post by K4ICL »

From the Mayo Clinic Site:

Men and Depression

Researchers estimate that at least six million men in the United States suffer from a depressive disorder every year. Research and clinical evidence reveal that while both women and men can develop the standard symptoms of depression, they often experience depression differently and may have different ways of coping with the symptoms. Men may be more willing to acknowledge fatigue, irritability, loss of interest in work or hobbies, and sleep disturbances rather than feelings of sadness, worthlessness, and excessive guilt. Some researchers question whether the standard definition of depression and the diagnostic tests based upon it adequately capture the condition as it occurs in men.

Men are more likely than women to report alcohol and drug abuse or dependence in their lifetime; however, there is debate among researchers as to whether substance use is a "symptom" of underlying depression in men, or a co-occurring condition that more commonly develops in men. Nevertheless, substance use can mask depression, making it harder to recognize depression as a separate illness that needs treatment.

Instead of acknowledging their feelings, asking for help, or seeking appropriate treatment, men may turn to alcohol or drugs when they are depressed, or become frustrated, discouraged, angry, irritable and, sometimes, violently abusive. Some men deal with depression by throwing themselves compulsively into their work, attempting to hide their depression from themselves, family, and friends; other men may respond to depression by engaging in reckless behavior, taking risks, and putting themselves in harm's way.

Four times as many men as women die by suicide in the United States, even though women make more suicide attempts during their lives. In addition to the fact that the methods men use to attempt suicide are generally more lethal than those methods used by women, there may be other issues that protect women against suicide death. In light of research indicating that suicide is often associated with depression, the alarming suicide rate among men may reflect the fact that men are less likely to seek treatment for depression. Many men with depression do not obtain adequate diagnosis and treatment, which may be life saving.

More research is needed to understand all aspects of depression in men, including how men respond to stress and feelings associated with depression, how to make them more comfortable acknowledging these feelings and getting the help they need, and how to train physicians to better recognize and treat depression in men. Family members, friends, and employee assistance professionals in the workplace also can play important roles in recognizing depressive symptoms in men and helping them get treatment.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Let him who is with out sin cast the first stone.....The Tom Stack most of us knows and have dealth with must have had something happen that took total presidence over his former self.I'm sorry for those who have lost equipment or money and hopefully it will be corrected but i feel until Tom acts or speaks theres not a whole lot that can be done and innuendoes will not solve any thing.
Larry Huff K0pd
w0bkr

Whole Scenario

Post by w0bkr »

No one knows the whole scenario. All I can attest to is what I have been told. That being said, if I run into him, I will ask. I don't judge. I have dealt with Tom in the past and have had good experiences with him as have many others.

For an individual to change character or to demonstrate a character contrary to previous experience usually is a red flag that something bad has happened.

If individuals are truly out of money, equipment etc, there are ways to deal with that issue and I recommend they do what they can to retrieve funds or hardware. Goods owed are just that, and funds owed are just that.

I don't know the exact nature of what has transpired but I know that I know a good many folks that have lost jobs, are on the verge of losing their homes, etc. and I ache for them. Our current adminstration is doing nothing to reconcile the problems their party caused in the 90's in the housing market and that has affected a great many hard working individuals.

That being said, I cast no judgement on Tom. I don't know his situation. I can only offer to ask when I have the chance.

I hope all is well and things get back to normal. I suspect they will over time, but how long that time is, is unknown to me.
KB2VYZ

Tom Stack

Post by KB2VYZ »

For those of you crucifying Tom, you're despicable. Prior to what has happened here, Tom had many GREAT reviews before "SOMETHING" happened. Although I have never made a purchase from Tom, he was always helpful to me, to get my gear sold. Another thing, Tom was a very active seller here on QTH, that advertised here on QTH.com. If Tom was near as bad as some of you guys make him out to be, Scott would have NEVER allowed him to sell or advertise here. Things happen guys, we've got pastors, grandmoms and grandpops robbing banks, we are in some really bad times. I'm sure Tom will one day make things right, the several times I had spoken to him in the past, he really seemed like a straight shooter, not too mention, I don't believe people would send Tom all of those high priced rigs if there was even the slightest suspicion that he was a thief. On a final note, instead of crucifying Tom on here, why not send him a nice letter or one of your QSL cards, I'm sure doing something "NICE" for the guy instead of ripping him to pieces on some web forum would probably help him recover somewhat with whatever is going on in his life.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!! They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa!!! To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time...
w8jn

i know tom

Post by w8jn »

i had numerous trades with tom. he was always honest and up front with me. i know that does not make it any easier for those left holding the bag. tom is not a crook. its obvious something has gone wrong for him. i hope he can recover. in my heart i know he will eventually make things right. regards paul w8jn
Mike Ryan

On Tom Stack

Post by Mike Ryan »

I was re-reading some of the tales of woe about good old Tom Stack just now. Looks like there was a recent posting, which with this one, will keep his memory alive. He ripped me off as well. Something I bought, had to be sent RIGHT back to hm to be REPAIRED as it was BROKEN in the first place. But wouldn't you know... POOF... poor Tom has a run of bad luck AND NEVER HEARD FROM AGAIN. So now, make me understand what the hell that has to do with my merchandise not being returned? Did he need it to fix his roof? Put in the gas tank? Feed the dog? ( I hope Fido enjoyed it. ) Lesson to learn: stay the hell away from 'the good old boys' and dudes like this little darlin'. I have always had an adversion or a bad feeling about guys trying to make a living out of our hobby. Guys who seem to be ALWAYS selling something. From amps to the carrying case for an HT. Always somethin' for sale good or bad. Same feeling you get when passing by a used car lot after a major flood. Something in there smells a little and it ain't just the slip covers.
w8jn

Re: On Tom Stack

Post by w8jn »

" I have always had an adversion or a bad feeling about guys trying to make a living out of our hobby. Guys who seem to be ALWAYS selling something. From amps to the carrying case for an HT. Always somethin' for sale good or bad. Same feeling you get when passing by a used car lot after a major flood. Something in there smells a little and it ain't just the slip covers."

Let me see if I understand your quote..... You see a sign that says "wet paint", so you stick your hand on it? You see a sign that says "slippery when wet" so you speed up and drive really fast. You see a mental sign that says "stay away from Tom" and you send him money and ship him equipment? Wow, I would love to watch you drive past a downed 40,000 volt power line that has a sign "live wires, do not touch or you will die".
Happy hoss trading... Paul w8jn
ps.... when you do a carfax on a used vehicle and it comes back "flood damage"...... I am guessing we will be reading your rant and whinning about the person who cheated you on the flood damaged car that you bought. Its one thing to be cheated by someone you trust, but its another thing to hand money to someone you dont trust and then whine to everyone about your unexpected misfortune.... wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhhh
ne6v

Re: Tom Stack

Post by ne6v »

KB2VYZ wrote:For those of you crucifying Tom, you're despicable. Prior to what has happened here, Tom had many GREAT reviews before "SOMETHING" happened. Although I have never made a purchase from Tom, he was always helpful to me, to get my gear sold. Another thing, Tom was a very active seller here on QTH, that advertised here on QTH.com. If Tom was near as bad as some of you guys make him out to be, Scott would have NEVER allowed him to sell or advertise here. Things happen guys, we've got pastors, grandmoms and grandpops robbing banks, we are in some really bad times. I'm sure Tom will one day make things right, the several times I had spoken to him in the past, he really seemed like a straight shooter, not too mention, I don't believe people would send Tom all of those high priced rigs if there was even the slightest suspicion that he was a thief. On a final note, instead of crucifying Tom on here, why not send him a nice letter or one of your QSL cards, I'm sure doing something "NICE" for the guy instead of ripping him to pieces on some web forum would probably help him recover somewhat with whatever is going on in his life.
"

"He really seemed like a straight shooter"says, kb2vyz. I guess you were wrong because he hasn't ripped one, two or three dudes off he's ripped several off, so I guess he's not so much of a "straight shooter" now is he. Now since, you ( kb2vyz)seem to have so much "faith" in good ol' Tommy, why don't you make good to everyone he's scammed, and they will give you receipts and then you, can collect from good ol' Tommy, when that "ONE DAY" COMES since you have so much faith in him...Ya it doesn't sound so good now does it!Finally, KB2VYZ, writes, ..."we are in some really bad times..." ya you think and guess what, everyone that got scammed are in that same BAD TIME, in fact even worse considering they are all out something, GOOD OL' TOMMY ain't out anything...so think of it that way! :shock:
KB2VYZ

Post by KB2VYZ »

What's up with the personal attack Joe? I stated what I knew of Tom. If you don't agree with what I had to say, you have a right to write about your personal dealings with Tom, not what I said Baby Boy. Keep my callsign out of your mouth, unless you and I deal with one another personally.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!! They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa!!! To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time...