PayPal accepted ...but...BUYER ADD....

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.

Do you pass up ads requesting buyer add xyz% for paypal use?

yes, I zoom by.
13%
yes, I look but don't buy.
22%
No, I dont even think about it...
28%
It doesn't matter because I don't use paypal.
38%
Who cares with this economy whos buying anything!
No votes

Total votes: 32

ne6v

PayPal accepted ...but...BUYER ADD....

Post by ne6v »

Hello to all,

I have been tracking the number of post that I see, with this catchy phrase, "paypal accepted , BUT BUYER ADD xyz%! :shock: " I feel its a little "tacky" in my opinion.Considering the fees are only max 3%. I must admit I get "niffed" everytime I see that. In NONE of my ads have I ever asked for those fees...And I sell everything I post!(thank You SCOTT and STAFF). Its NOT that I write off those fees, its that I ADD them into the PRICE! I feel that is a much better way of SELLING an item and It's not tacky . It does thou acheive the same result by getting those fees. I know for myself, everytime I see an ad requesting the fees as such...I just move on to the NEXT AD. So my advice to sellers take the second or two and do the math and add it on to the price, I'm quite sure your sales will be more successful... well at least I think so... :lol:

de
NE6V
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Well i just ask a what i deem a fair price and if some one is selling some thing and request pay pal and the price is fair i do not mind paying the 3% most ask for using pay pal as long as there price is fair. But i like your idea also...
Larry Huff K0pd
w0zs

Post by w0zs »

I tend to read them, but pass them by.
I do think I see a flaw in your logic though. You are building the paypal fee into the item, and those who don't use paypal are paying the higher price regardless. I'm not trying to cause an argument, but I am curious as to what you do when someone accepts your price and they use a check or money order? Do you give them a break on postage?
Terry, W0ZS
KB1NXE

Post by KB1NXE »

I have to ask, if you add 3% to the price to cover the PayPal fee, do you refund it if I pay by Postal Money Order? :roll:
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

When you sign up with PayPal you AGREE to not pass on any fee associated with using the service.

Now you suggest the buyer pay the fee?

How can this be defended at all?

I simply contact the seller and remind them of this rule they already agreed to and if the insist then I buy somewhere else.

I also absorb the fee if I accept PayPal,

This is not Rocket Science,it is Honesty.

Ed
k8vf

Paypal fee in Ad.

Post by k8vf »

When I signed up for Paypal, long ago, it was prohibited to specifically add the fee.

I have taken paypal, and used it many times. I prefer to use it for buying as I am 25 miles round trip from the bank.
Just post your price "USPS money order preferred". It doesnt mean you dont take paypal, it means Postal M.O. preferred.

Once there is contact made, all pricing and shipping are a negotiation, and open to any conditions. Privately.

To ME, it is better to just post your price, shipping INCLUDED in 48 States. Then negotiate after contact.
Yes, some shipping will be more or less, but honestly, it it THAT much different?

It does appear "unseemly" at times-some of the remarks made in our ads.
Make it simple.. dont complicate it with ill advised remarks.

And sellers, indicate whether smoking or not. Some of us-abt 80-90%- dont smoke.

K8VF
N6VMO

Re: Paypal fee in Ad.

Post by N6VMO »

k8vf wrote:When I signed up for Paypal, long ago, it was prohibited to specifically add the fee.
K8VF
KC0UKR wrote:When you sign up with PayPal you AGREE to not pass on any fee associated with using the service.

I simply contact the seller and remind them of this rule they already agreed to and if the insist then I buy somewhere else.
Ed

Why not just send PayPal the sellers email address and let them know that these fees are being publicly solicited in violation of PayPal's contract? :?
ne6v

Great Comments and replies!

Post by ne6v »

Hi Everyone, :D
First off thank you to everyone that has voted and taken the time to leave a reply. All replies are useful and make sense. So let me address a few. Regarding if I give a discount to a buyer that pays with a money order often I do, but at the very least I discount the shipping charges. Also the prices I fix to my items tend to be VERY REASONABLE, and I'm NEVER above the current market rate. Thank you for your question.

Now something that I knew but waited for someone else to bring up, that is the violation of the PAYPAL User Agreement when a seller ask for the buyer to cover the fees. :!:

I feel the bottom line here is, its up to the seller how much do they want to sell an item and then its up to a buyer, just how bad do you want something.
:lol:
de
ne6v
wx1f

Re: Great Comments and replies!

Post by wx1f »

ne6v wrote: Now something that I knew but waited for someone else to bring up, that is the violation of the PAYPAL User Agreement when a seller ask for the buyer to cover the fees
You're right....
Last edited by wx1f on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ne6v

MY MY MY We should read before we type...

Post by ne6v »

wx1f Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:28 am Post subject: Re: Great Comments and replies!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better press your update button. The rule against adding fees is from EBAY...NOT PayPal. :oops:
read PAYPAL user agreement: :lol:
sections:
4.3.e and 4.6.: 4.3.e- discusses ebay and the fees being charged against the buyer and section 4.6, is about charging those fees on any other site...

NOW WHO NEEDS TO PRESS THE UPDATE BUTTON! :D
wx1f

Re: MY MY MY We should read before we type...

Post by wx1f »

Comment withdrawn...
Last edited by wx1f on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shaggy_24740

Post by shaggy_24740 »

N6VMO wrote:
k8vf wrote:When I signed up for Paypal, long ago, it was prohibited to specifically add the fee.
K8VF
KC0UKR wrote:When you sign up with PayPal you AGREE to not pass on any fee associated with using the service.

Ed

Why not just send PayPal the sellers email address and let them know that these fees are being publicly solicited in violation of PayPal's contract? :?
When I put an auction on EBAY I put in it that I would accept PAY PAL but buyer had to pay the fee's and PAY PAL or EBAY one or the other kicked the auction off,. Then When I sold it the buyer said the item was not as described and I had to refund his money,. So pay pal is the best thing a Buyer can use, But if a seller can get by without using PAY PAL you're better off not using it..
In order to be confirmed on PAY PAL you have to have "both" a Bank account and a credit card account logged in their site. And if the buyer disputes the seller and "if" the seller has claimed his money, pay pal will lock up your credit card and Bank account on their site till you put the money back. So IMHO pay pal isn't too seller friendly.
The buyer only has to say the Item was not as described in order to reclaim his money. Makes no difference how you put it on the Auction site, Guaranteed or not, accepted back or not, you'll still have to refund the buyers money if you're a confirmed PAY PAL user. This happened to me. They take the buyers word over the sellers word every time. So as a Buyer I prefer the seller to be PAY PAL confirmed if I'm buying, but it is a sellers night mare...
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck ,Its a Duck
KC8KZY

Post by KC8KZY »

Do either Ebay or PayPal prohibit "cash discounts"? If not, you could always price your sale item with the fees, and offer the "cash discount" on USPS money orders, certified checks, or cash payments.
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

shaggy_24740 wrote:
N6VMO wrote:
K8VF

Ed

When I put an auction on EBAY I put in it that I would accept PAY PAL but buyer had to pay the fee's and PAY PAL or EBAY one or the other kicked the auction off,. Then When I sold it the buyer said the item was not as described and I had to refund his money,. So pay pal is the best thing a Buyer can use, But if a seller can get by without using PAY PAL you're better off not using it..
In order to be confirmed on PAY PAL you have to have "both" a Bank account and a credit card account logged in their site. And if the buyer disputes the seller and "if" the seller has claimed his money, pay pal will lock up your credit card and Bank account on their site till you put the money back. So IMHO pay pal isn't too seller friendly.
The buyer only has to say the Item was not as described in order to reclaim his money. Makes no difference how you put it on the Auction site, Guaranteed or not, accepted back or not, you'll still have to refund the buyers money if you're a confirmed PAY PAL user. This happened to me. They take the buyers word over the sellers word every time. So as a Buyer I prefer the seller to be PAY PAL confirmed if I'm buying, but it is a sellers night mare...
So this happened to you one time and that leads to the conclusion that it will always be that way?

PayPal is just one more detail we all have to deal with to make it a little easier to buy or sell.
I have had it go both ways for me with them but in the end I have always gotten what I thought I had coming.

This is not the point here however,the simple fact is that we agreed to this policy when signing up and now for whatever reason some have decided it is alright to do whatever they want and justify it somehow.

Sort of Ironic isn't it?
We gather here to discuss and promote safer trading but then we make excuses when it does not suit us.

Oh and the idea of the discount is exactly what the wording in the PayPal agreement is speaking to,read it.

Ed
w8jn

paypal bs

Post by w8jn »

i never advertise that i accept paypal. i only advertise, personal check is ok with clear time, pmo and cashiers check. if a buyer asks me to accept paypal, i tell them that the above is preferred however they can use paypal if they prefer however they must pick up all associated costs. it is their choice. i dont like paypal and would prefer not to use it. it is the buyers choice. if the buyer tells me "you cannot charge me 3%", my response is "ok, send a pmo".
N8ERM

Paypal

Post by N8ERM »

Paul, you are right on the money. If I am selling there is no need for me to take paypal, even if I get the $ today it is 3-4 days before it ends up in my bank account. If you as a buyer want it shipped today then you must pay for the privilege. If you and I have had deals before the deal goes like this. Paul says I want it and I ship the same day. If I say I want it Paul will ship it right away. This is because we have a long history. The only winners in a paypal deal is the buyer and paypal but he has to pay for the service..

This is only my feelings about paypal. I could build the cost into the deal and discount for cash. This is just a hobby, please play fair.

Now a little about Paul. I wanted to buy an amp from him. I changed my mind three times and never a unpleasant email. I was honest with him. During the same time frame my brother was living his final days. I wanted to pick it up when I went to the funeral. That did not work out and Paul was patient and very understanding.
w8jn

thanks

Post by w8jn »

terry,
thanks for the nice comments. its just this simple. there are people who make $5 deals miserable and people who make $900 deals easy. i just sold my $13,500 icom r9500 to larry urry and it went smooth as silk. you had some difficult family issues and my $1100 piece of equipment wasnt worth more than the hard times you had with your brother. some of us get it and some of us dont..... this is a fun hobby and hoss trading is a good time. thats why some of us were here yesterday and will be here tomorrow. take care and g-d bless you and your family.... paul w8jn