NEED I SAY MORE ABOUT THIS EMAIL, NOT EVEN A CRAFTY CROOK

Discussion of ways to help ensure a safe trade, so you don't get ripped-off. Do not discuss individuals here. Use the Feedback Forum instead.
N8ERM

NEED I SAY MORE ABOUT THIS EMAIL, NOT EVEN A CRAFTY CROOK

Post by N8ERM »

Name: loretta
Callsign:
E-mail: lorettajuly101@yahoo.com

The response is:

Hello,I am loretta july i am here by to let you know that i have much interest in buying your Ham and ready to pay immediately for this item after you have gottened back to me with condition of this item and the final price for it and i want you to know that i can only make payment for this item with usps money order so if this okay with you kindly get back to me.

Loretta JULY
Last edited by N8ERM on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I went to QRZ and did a name search and there is a lot of people last name is July. You might consider asking for a call sign as being as she is paying with a usps. But explain you'll hold equipment until post office clears it. But if you have another buyer then no big deal. Actually i'd like to find out if she is scamming for sure out of curiousity..
Larry Huff K0pd
VE2AMN

Post by VE2AMN »

In my opinion, it is a SCAM, and the money order will be bogus.
Just look at the wording......
Gilles, in the great white north..
w8jn

in love?

Post by w8jn »

terry, did she also tell you she loves you and needs $1800 for airfare from russia to meet you? hihi paul w8jn
hamradman

Post by hamradman »

Hey wait a minute, she e-mailed me last week and said she was interested in my ham. So I sent her my bank account number so she could withdraw what she needs to get here from Moscow!
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Gilles of the great white north,
I agree she/he was probably running a scam but there are two Vlad July's i noticed on QRZ name search and one was in VA. and the other was in Russia,my point being that could explain the misuse of english lanquage and there was the possibility it was legit tho unlikely.
Larry Huff K0pd
VE2AMN

Post by VE2AMN »

You could be right, Larry, but the wording in this case is the same as that used in all the scams where someone wants to buy the "item", wants a final price, etc.
Looks like a computer, to me...
Gilles, in the great white north..
N9LCD

A SCAM OR???

Post by N9LCD »

To get a feel if an email MAY be "legit" -

1 Use your email program's "VIEW MESSAGE SOURCE" or equivalent to see the routing from the sender to you.

2 Look for the IP ADDRESS of "RECEIVED FROM". The IP address will be FOUR GROUPS, each with up to 3 DIGITS.

EXAMPLE: 1.23.456.7

3 Go to www.arin.net/whois/ Enter the "RECEIVED FROM" IP address in the box in the upper left hand corner of the screen and click on the "SEARCH" button.

You'll see where the email originated from.

"IF IT LOOKS LIKE A DUCK AND QUACKS LIKE A DUCK, IT'S A DUCK!!!"

N9LCD