Which HF rig?

Just what it says -- this is the place for any discussions not related to Buying, Selling and Trading ham gear. The discussion must be related to Ham Radio.
KC9CVK

Which HF rig?

Post by KC9CVK »

I am getting ready to get my first HF rig. I am not sure which one I should get. I am going to try to give an idea of what I am looking for, as I know that the answer to my question can depend on that.

First of all, I have a visual impairment, not blind, but can't see good enough to drive.

1. I am wanting a rig that covers HF and 6M...I don't really need the 2M and 440, as we already have an IC-2720 and would be willing to get another for the car so that I can keep this one in the house.

2. Due to my vision, I don't really like the idea of having to use a menu system to get around in the radio.

3. I would like it to be capable of mobile use, but not necessary.

4. I want GOOD receive. On Field Day I had the opportunity to work with the 706 MIIG and an IC-745, and it seemed to me that the 745 had better receive, but could have been difference in antennas.

5. Would like it to have a good cooling fan, Vox, and pre-amp...among some other things. Will one day be able to receive CW good enough to send it(not quite there yet in my opinion), and will be doing SSTV and possibly Digital SSTV as well. Want to do Packet as well, Satellite, and many other things as well.

The rig does not have to be brand new, it can be older as long as it does the above mentioned things. I also don't have a fortune to spend on some of the rigs on the market.

So, if you have an opinion on what you like best, or which you think would be best for me, please let me know...

73, and thanks for the input in advance.

KC9CVK
Eunice :D
W0LPQ

HF Rigs

Post by W0LPQ »

Well, things were not to bad until you mentioned Sat stuff...! That eliminates rigs and adds others. Unfortunately, most of the radios of today ARE menu driven, whether or not WE like it...!

That being said, I have a 756 Pro for the house (as well as a Drake TR-4C) and an Icom 706IIg in the car, and ... an IC-910H for the house U/VHF.

Most radios have a voice option that is available. I know that the Kenwood 570SG that I used to have and the Icoms that I do have have this as an option. Not installed in mine, but then I don't need it.

On the Icom site, there have been a lot of Kudo's for the 746Pro. Good receiver and can handle Sats also. But, the IC-910H does that as a matter of fact.

My 756Pro does well on 6M SSB.

But, as was stated earlier, most of the current radios are menu driven. No idea of Ten-Tec...have never messed with any of them.

Hope this is a start.

Bill, WØLPQ
Indiana
Vernon J. Kunes, Jr.

Post by Vernon J. Kunes, Jr. »

If you are really interested in the receive portion (and that's the important part), you might want to look into a Ten Tec. You probably won't get 6 meters, but you will get excellent results 10-160 meters. An Omni D Series B is a good one to start with. Better yet, is a Corsair or Corsair II. If you can afford a little more, any of the Omni VI line makes a fine radio. I still use a Corsair II because I haven't been able to afford an Omni VI yet. Along with a good, dependable radio, you get factory service and support that is second to none, and far ahead of anyone else. Just my own opinion. I also have a Ten Tec in my mobile: it's a Scout and does a fine job. Good Luck. 73s de N2YZS
Mr_dipole

which rig

Post by Mr_dipole »

Well,why not start with an IC 735,you will be up and running on HF.Then you can start collecting [ like every one else ] and after not too long you will have all bands covered and time to get familar with all of your acquired rigs
cheers
best of luck
timmie
Those that can do,those that can't teach.
kb0usy

Re: Which HF rig?

Post by kb0usy »

KC9CVK wrote:I am getting ready to get my first HF rig. I am not sure which one I should get. I am going to try to give an idea of what I am looking for, as I know that the answer to my question can depend on that.

First of all, I have a visual impairment, not blind, but can't see good enough to drive.

1. I am wanting a rig that covers HF and 6M...I don't really need the 2M and 440, as we already have an IC-2720 and would be willing to get another for the car so that I can keep this one in the house.

2. Due to my vision, I don't really like the idea of having to use a menu system to get around in the radio.

3. I would like it to be capable of mobile use, but not necessary.

4. I want GOOD receive. On Field Day I had the opportunity to work with the 706 MIIG and an IC-745, and it seemed to me that the 745 had better receive, but could have been difference in antennas.

5. Would like it to have a good cooling fan, Vox, and pre-amp...among some other things. Will one day be able to receive CW good enough to send it(not quite there yet in my opinion), and will be doing SSTV and possibly Digital SSTV as well. Want to do Packet as well, Satellite, and many other things as well.

The rig does not have to be brand new, it can be older as long as it does the above mentioned things. I also don't have a fortune to spend on some of the rigs on the market.

So, if you have an opinion on what you like best, or which you think would be best for me, please let me know...

73, and thanks for the input in advance.

KC9CVK
Eunice :D
Get the info of the yaseu mobile.We use the ft 100d,Alinco dx70,TS 2000 Kenwood for mobile and the Yaseu beats them all.
steve
wa4cch

Post by wa4cch »

:D hi
i have two dx-70 t they both work fine and even an old dog like me can read the display and they are easy set up i put every thing i want to work in memory
never touch the knob just use the up/down buttons on the mike and have at it
if you want to run up and down the you can do it from memory channel by the way with out my glasses i can't even see the big e on the eye chart and have no problems with this rig you can pick em up for 350 to 450 depending on the condx

73 chuck 8)