KC4LT LELAND E. WILSON WHERE TEN = ONE

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K7FF

KC4LT LELAND E. WILSON WHERE TEN = ONE

Post by K7FF »

I recently made a listing on QTH.com looking for a late production Ameritron AL-572 amplifier. I made it clear in the listing that I wanted one that was
near-new in excellent condition.

KC4LT, Leland E. Wilson, responded saying he had an AL-572 for sale.. We exchanged a number of emails. He said he bought his AL-572 from the estate of a ham that had died a day after he bought the amplifier new. Mr. Wilson said he (Wilson) had used the amplfier for only about six hours total in the year he owned it.

I mailed Mr. Wilson a USPS Money Order for the amplifier.

When I removed it from the boxing, and removed the top cover, it was obvious that I had not been told the truth. Ameritron always writes the month and year of manufacture on the tag that is glued to the top of the transformer. This one had '8-98' on it--that is, it was manufactured in 1998. I called Ameritron and they confirmed, per the Serial #, that the amp had, in fact been manufactured in August of 1998, and had been sold later that same year. This was evidenced by the Warranty Card that had been filed by the original buyer.

Through an odd set of events, I found out who Mr. Wilson bought the amplifier from (a W8). It turns out that the W8 had bought the amplifier from a friend of his, who had bought it new many years before.

When I confronted Mr. Wilson with the facts, he admitted that he had not told me the truth, but I had nothing to complain about because the amp was in nice condition. He insisted that he had done nothing wrong. I offered to return the amp to him for a full refund, or accept a partial refund and keep the amp (I really didn't want to keep the amp--it wasn't what I wanted--but, I figured it might be the best way to cut my losses.) I explained that it was like where someone buys a year-old car with 600 miles on it, and when it is delivered it is a ten-year old car with 100,000 miles on it, but still in good condition. And, the seller says, 'What's your problem--it's in good condition? You've got nothing to complain about.'

I filed a complaint with the USPS Postal Inspector, and attached copies of the emails between me and Mr. Wilson..

Let this be a bit of advice to those who insist on 'talking' with the seller of something they want to buy instead of using emails--with emails, you have proof of everything said and agreed to--with a telephone call, it is only your word against the seller's.

Mr. Wilson told me he was going to hire an attorney to look into me abusing him. I said fine, have the attorney contact me--which, of course, has not happened.

I am still looking for a late production AL-572, and intend to list the one I bought from Mr. Wilson at a sum less than I paid.
n2knc

K7FF

Post by n2knc »

SEEMS LIKE K7FF ALWAYS LOOKING FOR SOME TYPE OF REFUND.I THINK HE IS ONE OF THESE PIECES OF S*** THAT HAS NOTHING BETTER TO DO BUT SIT AND B I T C H OVER LITTLE S****

U WANT SOMETHING IN NEW COND. THAN BUY IT NEW!!!

[Profanity edited by Moderator. Profanity is NEVER allow on this site.]
K7FF

N2KNC

Post by K7FF »

N2KNC, you are one sorry hound dawg.

You need to stop wasting our time and patience with your inane comments about matters which confuse, and start working on a GED.

DereK
K7FF
K7FF

N2KNC ! NOW I UNDERSTAND !

Post by K7FF »

NOW I understand why N2KNC felt it was OK to send me a junk tube or two. . .
WV4I

Age does matter

Post by WV4I »

The problem with Ameritron amps is that they do have components that age out, i.e. filter caps, other older style components, i.e. relays, input pads, etc., that just don't perform as well as the later build amps. So the age does matter. If you doubt this assertion, you have not bought one in "excellent condition" only to then spend many hours troubleshooting, on the phone with A'tron techs, and then $$$s buying parts.

I have had good dealings with K7FF, and it's fair to say that he does not mince words.

Meanwhile, I'm on the hunt for a legal limit A'tron amp, and the process has already begun. I emailed a seller as to the operational condx of the amp he had for sale, only to get a bunch of gobbledygook back, but not an answer to my question. Imagine that. Still looking.
N6VMO

Post by N6VMO »

Just curious...did you purchase this amp from KC4LT before or after reading the two page "Beware of KC4LT ( Leland E. Wilson )" thread? :lol: :lol:

http://chat.qth.com/viewtopic.php?t=5055
K7FF

N6VMO Query

Post by K7FF »

N6VMO>

Excellent question.

Unfortunately, at that time I was having problems bringing up Feedback Forum posts . Before I responded to his offer to sell me the AL-572, I did a Feedback Forum search using KC4LT but the thread didn;'t appear.

I queried Scott about the problem and after a few emails we got it figured out. However, by then it was too late. You talk about bad timing ! ! !
wa4dou

Post by wa4dou »

To fail to disclose the truth, the seller referenced seems to have committed a fraud against K7FF. This type of behavior has become more common in amateur radio than years ago.