R&L ELECTRONICS

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K5LOT

R&L ELECTRONICS

Post by K5LOT »

THEY ARE TOO STUPID TO DO BUSSINESS WITH I HAD 1250.00 CASH IN HAND TO BUY AN ALS600 WITH THE 10/12 METER KIT THEY COULD NOT LOOK UP MY CALL AT QRZ AND SEE THE NAME AND DELIVER4Y ADDRESS WERE THE SAME THEY WANTED ME TO TAKE MY LICEMNSE OFF THE WALL AND SEND IT TO THEM OUT OF THE FRAME I TRIED TO EXPLAIN I WAS DISABLED AND COULD NOT PERFORM THE TASK AND I HAD NO COPY MACHINE WELL THEY SAVED ME A BUNCH I REALLY DIDN'T NEED A LINEAR ANYWAY 111 WATTS GETS ME QSL CARDS FROM ALL OVER THE PLANET AND OFF FROM THE SPACE STATION WHY MESS WITH STUPID PEOPLE
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

WOW , that is a bit harsh and in all capital letters as well!! You must be pissed , however I have been dealing with "your" stupid people for a very long time and never had ANY trouble with them. I think you may be stretching it a bit?

It is amazing that I ordered my kit from them and had it in three days.

I suggest you drink a cool beer and turn off the "CAPS" lock.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
KN4N

R&L Electronics

Post by KN4N »

Well, I will not buy from R&L any longer. Ordered an item to be shipped COD (CASH ON DELIVERY?) When it arrived, the UPS driver said he was not authorized to take cash....but UPS would take a money order, so, I bought a MO, made it out to UPS and was ready to get my package the next day, right? WRONG! The UPS drives now states R&L wants the MO has to be made out to them!!
My question to R&L later on the phone was, why did they not inform me on how to handle a COD (remember, CASH ON DELERVY) and when I did receive my item, COD and shipping charges was $28.00 for a $16.00 item!!!!!

I am a business man my self and theat is not the way to conduct business.
WA5JAV

R&L

Post by WA5JAV »

I'm commenting on a recent single transaction with R&L. I ordered a MFJ clock from R&L for $34.95 plus $5.00 shipping. The clock arrived in less than a week without hassle. MFJ has the clock listed in their catalog for $39.95 plus $14.95 shipping.
W8VVE

R & L Electronics

Post by W8VVE »

I need to put my 2 cents in on this one. Over the last 12-15 yrs I have purchased a couple of xcvrs, one linear, and some misc small items from R & L. All have been well packaged and shipped immediately. The phone conversations have been cordial and businesslike. I pay with a credit card and am fortunate to get next day (usually) delivery with UPS. I realize a company cannot be all things to all people..but for me...the VERY FIRST place I check when I am considering some new gear is R&L. Their prices and service have been tops!
73....Sam W8VVE
w9mlp

R&L Electronics

Post by w9mlp »

I can understand how frustrating it can be when people are rigid with their rules. On the other hand I have always been happy with R&L and I appreciate a supplier who requires absolute proof of license before selling a linear with a 10/12 kit. Perhaps not all their employees are hams or versed in use of the Internet. Once you start bending rules they are easier to break. I agree with your final conclusion, who needs a linear anyway.
K4JC

My 2 cents' worth...

Post by K4JC »

I have dealt with R&L for many years: in person at their store, in person at hamfests, by phone and by internet. I have always found them to be good people to deal with, and their prices are very fair (usually the cheapest!) I guess you can always run into snags in any business transaction, but generally a phone call and a little negotiating is all it takes to resolve the matter.

Now, the "big boys" (HRO and AES) are usually where I run into problems. The attitude I generally find with them is unless I'm buying big ticket items, they don't want to deal with me. And that's fine, because I will continue to deal with R&L Electronics.
kg4mlo

Post by kg4mlo »

What started this thread was a complaint about submitting proof of license to obtain 10 meter mod for the amplifier. This is common practice. That doesn't make R&L stupid. It makes them smart!!!
w2gjw

Post by w2gjw »

I've been dealing with R&L for almost 10 years now. I never had a problem with them. They were always courteous on the phone and generally shipped most of my orders within 24 hours. Their pricing is usually very competitive.
ke8bp

Post by ke8bp »

Likewise I have been buying from R & L for years. Never a problem. Only thing I have bought that gave me problems was a Jetstream VHF/UHF base antenna. I had it for over EIGHT months and it went bad. I called and they said ship it back. I did and they sent me a new one NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Always friendly and quick shipping to Alabama.
W4AIN

R & L Electronics

Post by W4AIN »

I have dealt with R & L for several years through mail-order and at hamfests and have always been satisfied. They have always treated me fairly and I will not hesitate to do business with them again.
Phil - W4AIN
On The Air Communications
www.w4ain.com
w0bkr

Past...

Post by w0bkr »

I have had some aggravating experiences with them in the past and since then, haven't bought anything. Never had to send them a copy of a license though. Easy enough to tell them the call and verify it.

Odd they put you thru the knotholes....
NR9R

One time

Post by NR9R »

I had one experience with R&L and unfortunately it was negative. I ordered a TS-2000 from their used list. On the phone I asked for the condition to be described to me and it was confirmed that while used, it had no scratches and was in good shape. It was shipped quickly, but with a few surprises. First, it was not shipped double boxed, the USP label was stuck right on the Kenwood shelf box. Secondly, one of the foam inserts was broken in half so one side of the radio was resting directly on the cardboard. No remnant of the insert was in the box so it was packed that way. The transceiver was not placed in a bag and I could see pits off styrofoam that had made their way through the vent grill into the radio. To top it off, the radio was very scratched up and looked like it had not been taken care off--not what I expected.

I called R&L and the person I first spoke with was pretty resistant to let me sent it back for a FULL reimbursement. Once I got the manager on the phone it did happen though.

Maybe someone was hungover that day?

Anthony
WV4I

A+++ Experience

Post by WV4I »

Ordered, received, an ALS-500M amp fm them. No BS, fast shipping, well packed. Sorry to hear others have had problems. Can only relate my most recent exoerience. Tks R&L!! Link, WV4I....
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Have not done buisiness with R@L that i can recall but as soon as some one can show me a buisiness that has 100% customer satisfaction from every one who ever shopped with them i would like to know who it is......
Larry Huff K0pd
w8jn

r and l honest and reliable

Post by w8jn »

I have known Roger for quite some time. He is a good guy and is as honest as they come.
kb1ixn

R&L RIP OFF

Post by kb1ixn »

I bought a Icom 706mk2g and I asked them if it came with the DSP unit. They said YES IT DOES! When I got it, GUESS WHAT, no DSP. I called them and they said they never told me that. I wouldn't ever buy from them ever again. They will tell you anything you want to hear to make a sale.
KB1IXN Check out me website at
http://www.northeastern-arg.net
w8jn

bogus story

Post by w8jn »

the mk2g has factory ut 102 (factory installed dsp). r and l was correct. if you wanted digital filtering like the 7000 you needed to spend the extra jack!, it does not have the digital filtering that the 7000 has. i have a new Yugo for you. It has a Ferrari engine in it and a complete shower and second floor. Read before you buy. When you publish a post like yours, it shows your ignorance. Keep in mind the old saying.... "you dont get what you dont pay for" amazing how cheap some of us hams are!!!!!
Last edited by w8jn on Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w3qe

R&L

Post by w3qe »

I too have given R&L a fair amount of my business and only had on small incident with UPS---surprise surprise---I received an unexpected phone call from Roger and he made sure everything was settled and to my satisfaction. R&L went beyond the call and why I keep giving R&L my business.

I have a completely disabled wife---can’t do a thing--- who does NOT scream at people when she is upset.

What does screaming accomplish besides make an instant fool of the irate.

You get no sympathy from me nor do you deserve it

Curt/W3QE
"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

From Texas Towers web site:

The Icom IC-706MK2G is a compact HF/6m/2m/70cm all mode transceiver with built-in DSP. The radio has a backlit LCD display and features ARS, CTCSS tone encode/decode, 107 memory channels, and more. Supplied with a hand microphone with up and down frequency controls, and a fused DC power cord.

KB1IXN:
I bought a Icom 706mk2g and I asked them if it came with the DSP unit. They said YES IT DOES!
W8JN:
the mk2g has factory ut 102. it does not have the digital filtering that the 7000 has. i have a new Yugo for you. It has a Ferrari engine in it and a complete shower and second floor. Read before you buy. When you publish a post like yours, it shows your ignorance.
What is this about showing one's ignorance? K1IXN never said "digital". He asked about DSP (You know, like AUDIO DSP...)

Please be careful about calling someone ignorant until you have CAREFULLY read and fully understand his message... Like you said,, "When you publish a post like yours, it shows your ignorance"

Nuff Said

K4ICL
kb1ixn

w8jn

Post by kb1ixn »

W8JN should mind his buissness. WOW!!!!! Don't you have better things to do than read postes like this and make stupid comments? Get a life!!!! :x
w8jn

buy a ftdx9000d for $1.50

Post by w8jn »

R and l is having a special sale just for you. a ftdx9000d for $1.50. now, it does not transmit , receive or plug into a power supply, but its quite a deal!!!! ooooppppssss it's only a picture of the 9000..... they should have told you its just a picture..... the price was a dead give away, but who am i to judge!!! har har har
kb1ixn

W8JN

Post by kb1ixn »

All I got to say to you, MY FRIEND, is that you are an IDIOT!!!! GROW UP DUDE!!!! WOW!!!!!
ab7r

Digital?

Post by ab7r »

from K4ICL...

What is this about showing one's ignorance? K1IXN never said "digital". He asked about DSP (You know, like AUDIO DSP...)

Sorry to chime in here. If he asked about DSP then he did ask about digital. Doesn't DSP stand for Digital Signal Processing? Nobody specified if it was AF or IF.

This is directed to everyone else.....

That said.....why do folks feel the need to get so carried away here? You CAN make your comments in a civil manner without going over the top. Right?

Greg
AB7R
kb1ixn

w8jn

Post by kb1ixn »

I think he's just here because he has nothing better to do. So he's going to bash people. I hope he's not like that on the air. This is my last entry here. WOW MAN!!!!! I feel sorry for you. Your quality of life must really suck to be here saying all that crap. And your an EXTRA TOO!! WOW!!!They do have clinics to help you with your anger......GOOD LUCK. 73 all..................................................