HELP please with W4IDR Richard (Rick) Caulder

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W4AJF

HELP please with W4IDR Richard (Rick) Caulder

Post by W4AJF »

HELP PLEASE WITH W4IDR, Rick Caulder: Looking to see if anyone knows Richard (Rick) Caulder W4IDR in Hope Mills, NC. I bought an Icom IC-7000 from him that he advertised on QTH on 5/12/07. Advertised to be just like new. I did a little checking in the feedback section before I sent him any money and saw a good post about him but also a negative one. I e-mailed him and he told me that he had resolved the problem that was posted about him. I decided to take a chance so I sent his payment off to him. It took him a while to tell me that he received my payment, he said he was busy and would ship soon. It was delayed a little but I did receive the radio. When I got it it absolutely REEKED of nicotine. He also did not send the manual which of course he said would be included. I then immediately tested the radio (as I always do) and found that it only put out about 50 watts on 1.8mhz and 65 watts on 3.5mhz, the rest of the bands were close to 100 watts. I then immediately e-mailed him my findings. NO answer so I called and e-mailed him many times for the next week with no answer. Finally I got him on the phone. He told me he didn’t really use the low bands so he couldn’t tell me much but told me to send it off to get repaired and he would cover it. I sent it to the Icom Repair Center in South Carolina. About 2 weeks ago I told him the repair cost and then sent him a copy of the invoice showing the work done. It had some blown PA transistors and needed a few other things, the repair cost was $163.35. He owes me $15.00 for me shipping the radio to Icom so he owes me $178.35 (plus the manual still!). For the past 2 weeks I have e-mailed and called him NUMEROUS times but he will not answer. I am only trying to get what he owes me. He seems like a very nice guy so I am surprised at his lack of response. I am hoping someone out there may know him and perhaps call him and tell him to call or e-mail me. If anyone knows where he works or maybe a relative of his I could reach, I would appreciate it. At soon as he pays me what he owes me I will immediately post that he has resolved the problem.

Any help appreciated, I am hoping someone out there knows him.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL 33026
adamf@eeco.com
954-494-3432
W5YMB

W4IDR

Post by W5YMB »

Adam,

When he indicated the one " Negative " Feedback had been resolved, did you contact the other person that Posted the Negative Feedback and ask for his version of " resolved " ?
W4AJF

Help with W4IDR

Post by W4AJF »

Yes, good question, I did and got both versions but you know how that goes so I decided to take a shot. I think Rick W4IDR did not knowingly sell me a bad radio so I am hoping he will take care of the situation.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
W4AJF

Help with Rick W4IDR

Post by W4AJF »

OK, Rick just called and left me a message on my phone. He said he was out of town for about a week and will send the manual now and the money as soon as he can. I will of course post as soon as everything is received and the deal is complete.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
W4AJF

Help with Rick Caulder W4IDR

Post by W4AJF »

Hi all, it's been over a week since Rick Caulder W4IDR said he would send the manual he owes me and to try to send me the money he owes me and I have not received anything. I called him on all his phone numbers and left messages and e-mailed him a few times but no response from him. This is not looking good so I hope he will take care of what he owes me. I will post an update if I receive anything from him. I will continue to call and e-mail him. Again, if anyone knows him and can reach him and ask him to send me the money and manual that he owes me that would be great. I am still hoping he will take care of it.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf@eeco.com
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi all, just an update, I finally got Rick Caulder W4IDR on the phone and he said he should be able to send the money he owes me and the manual next week. He seems like a nice guy who is just having a little bit of a tough time right now but he seems sincere so I am hoping this will be resolved next week. I will post as soon as I receive something. Things happen, I am sympathetic to that.

Thanks for listening...

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
N7BUI

Post by N7BUI »

Amazing how many just seem to forget to tell the buyer that they are smokers.

If you are selling a radio and you smoke, you should take it upon yourself to let your buyer know about it. Buyers shouldn't have to ask each and everytime if the seller smokes.

I know smokers probably don't realize how nasty their equipment can become from the tar and nicotine.

Adam, I would have sent it back. Even repaired you have to deal with the smell and now it's become YOUR problem to mention it to the new owner if you decide to sell it.
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

I agree but sending it back was not really an option. Getting it repaired was really my only option as it was a safer bet. I usually can get quite a bit of the "stink" out of it but it takes some work. Thanks for the post though.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi folks, just an update, still waiting for Rick Caulder W4IDR to send the manual and the money he owes me, nothing received yet. Several e-mails and calls have not gotten any results but I am still hoping. Will post if/when I receive anything from him.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf@eeco.com
VA3EE/ VE3GNX

Post by VA3EE/ VE3GNX »

Just curious as to why all the updates? Is it to keep pressure on W4IDR or for another means? Not trying to stir anything up just curious.
VE3GNX
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi, I can't reach him by phone or e-mail so I am hoping he will see this or perhaps someone that knows him will see it and he will send me what he owes me.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Adam i'm afraid you've been had as i've known similar deals like yours to end up with the same old lines that your getting from this guy. Just write it off to experience as i'm almost 100% sure you'll never get whats owed you. I can guarantee you if you do happen to run into him he'll give you another reason to hope for no avail.,
Larry Huff K0pd
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Larry, I am sure you are right as I can't get an answer now but I guess I always hope someone has a change of heart although it is rare.

Thanks for the post.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
w4hyi

w4idr

Post by w4hyi »

Hey Adam I told you he did the same thing to me you call and call and he will not return any calls just write it off and make a bad post about w4idr RICHADR HEAD you know what I mean every time he post a ad
W4AJF

BEWARE Rick Caulder W4IDR

Post by W4AJF »

Well it's been a few months and Rick Caulder W4IDR will not return any calls or e-mails (and I have left MANY), he still owes me $178.35 plus the radio manual. He did PROMISE a few times to send the money and the manual but it looks like it's not going to happen. I received a couple of other calls from other people who had a similar experiemce with Rick W4IDR. He sold them some faulty equipment , promised to make good on it but then disappeared.
If he ever decides to take care of the problem and pay me what he owes me you can be sure I will immediately post to that effect. If anyone out there knows him and can reach him I would appreciate if they could get in touch with him and ask him to pay me what he has promised.

Thanks for any help.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
954-494-3432
W4PIG

Post by W4PIG »

i see w4idr has some items listed on qth for sale. he has good and bad feedback beware. adam did you get your money and manual from this guy.
W4AJF

W4IDR Rick Caulder

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Danny, no, he never answered my numerous e-mails or calls or sent the money that he promised to send. If he ever does I will post that he has taken care of it.

Adam Farber W4 AJF
Cooper City FL
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Thanks for the update, Adam, and sorry that he never made good on his promises.

I am blocking him from trading on QTH.com.

- Scott KA9FOX
W4AJF

W4IDR Richard Caulder

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Scott, I e-mailed him this morning (after almost a year) and asked him to please send the money he owes me and if so I would post that he has paid me after he has done that.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

Just heard from Rick:
your talking about Adam there was nothen wrong with the ic7000 he got from me it worked fine he may have drop it or something and he did not send shipping cost for the radio so i kept the manual for the radio untel he sends the shipping cost. it been almost 2 yrs ago and still nothen from him not a phone call or email or anything so what am i to do i still have the manual for the ic7000 rick 73's
Hopefully I can help get this situation taken care of.

- Scott
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Scott, thanks for trying to help. I of course have all the e-mails I sent him and an e-mail where he apologizes for not sending the money yet but will do so as soon as he sells a piece of equipment, He of course knows he owes me the $178.00, he has a copy of the repair receipt from Paul Hansen from Icom Repair. I spoke to Rick Caulder W4IDR on the phone back then several times and he just kept promising to send the money he owed me. I even got a phone call from James Rich N4CTR who knows him and at that time James tried a couple of times to get Rick Caulder W4IDR to call him back but he would not. All I want is what is owed me, Rick Caulder W4IDR knows he owes me the money and I have the e-mails as I mentioned. Thanks for any help..

Adam Farber W4AJF
Coopper City, FL
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

OK folks, just got an e-mail from Rick Caulder W4IDR, he apologized for the mixup and will send funds shortly. Things happen, I know it's tough out there, as soon as I receive the payment I will post to that effect and that I am happy and Rick and I are square, no hard feelings. I just want to put this to rest, life is too short.

Adam Farber W4AJF
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

W4AJF wrote:OK folks, just got an e-mail from Rick Caulder W4IDR, he apologized for the mixup and will send funds shortly.
Adam Farber W4AJF

Adam, isn't that the same song he's been singing since the beginning of all this??

Nick
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Nick, yes but I thought this time it would happen but I am still waiting for him to pay me. I will post to that effect if he ever does.

Oh well....

Adam, Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
w8jn

lucky

Post by w8jn »

adam,
you and i have been hoss tradin' for years. i think we all realize that you tied into an a-1 deadbeat! think about it... this knucklehead has destroyed his reputation for $200, and he was so intent on cheating you out of $200, that no one will buy or sell to him. its amazing how stupid some people are. his ridiculous excuse to scott was even dumber. you are fortunate that he only beat you out of $200. you could have received the "i'm in the hospital" email, or "i lost my job and spent your money" garbage, and still be waiting for the radio.... good luck... i hope you receive your $$$$ however if its any consolation, you beat more than $200 out of his pitiful reputation. best 73 paul w8jn