GEORGE N1TNQ VERY BAD DEAL!!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
WN8BOB

GEORGE N1TNQ VERY BAD DEAL!!

Post by WN8BOB »

I bought a Kenwood radio off of George Belford in Rhode Island,it was double boxed so WAS NOT damadged in shipping,when it got here the dead givaway was some screws missing out of the cabinet,the radio did not work right,also he told me NO MODS had been done to the radio and several modifications WERE DONE to it,when I told him about the malfunctioning radio he said "Worked fine for me" I told him I wantred to return the radio,he did not respond till the next day,saying "He did not take returns" so beware if you have any dealings with george Belford,he does not stand behind what he sells.So I have a malfunctioning radio that needs repairs,you have been warned...WN8BOB
n5wrx

Re: GEORGE N1TNQ VERY BAD DEAL!!

Post by n5wrx »

WN8BOB wrote:I bought a Kenwood radio off of George Belford in Rhode Island,it was double boxed so WAS NOT damaged in shipping,when it got here the dead giveaway was some screws missing out of the cabinet,the radio did not work right,also he told me NO MODS had been done to the radio and several modifications WERE DONE to it,when I told him about the malfunctioning radio he said "Worked fine for me" I told him I wanted to return the radio,he did not respond till the next day,saying "He did not take returns" so beware if you have any dealings with George Belford,he does not stand behind what he sells.
So I have a malfunctioning radio that needs repairs,you have been warned...WN8BOB
Was the radio listed here on QTH?
Did you talk to the guy on the phone BEFORE you sent the money?
Have you ever talked to him on the phone?

William Lee N5WRX
george belford

Post by george belford »

I have sold alot of radios here and he never called me on the phone. The radio was a 9 and worked great. It was insurred. Their was no screws missing and he said someone opened the receiver up and their was some damage with one of the switches
George N1TNQ
George Belford
NR9R

Post by NR9R »

george belford wrote:I have sold alot of radios here and he never called me on the phone. The radio was a 9 and worked great. It was insurred. Their was no screws missing and he said someone opened the receiver up and their was some damage with one of the switches
George N1TNQ
How long did you own the radio? If you have sold a large number of radios--while having each one in your possession for only a short time-- is it possible that you just did not notice any modifications or screws missing? Sometimes quirks aren't noticed until several hours of using the equipment. I had an IC-765 that would loose PLL lock when the 12V accessory jack was utilized. It turned out to be a problem with the voltage regulator that sure didn't show up from bench testing (never was able to get it fixed).

Do you have any feedback posted?

I'm sorry to jump to this conclusion, but I can't side with you. This is simply because THREE PAGES of positive feedback are returned after searching WN8BOB in the Feedback Forum. Unless someone has hijacked Bob's QTH.COM account, for him to simply fabricate a lie just doesn't jive.

Why not just take the radio back?

Anthony
WN8BOB

N1TNQ GEORGE BELFORD VIA WN8BOB

Post by WN8BOB »

Good old George sure can spin some tales,said rig was a non smoker,reeked of smoke when I got,filter switch was jammed in the wide position,screws missing from cabinet,wires cut with improper mods,said it had no mods,after receiving the mess I e mailed him,told me all sales final,sold AS IS,nothing about it in original ad,come to your own conclusions...WN8BOB
w8jn

hey george

Post by w8jn »

george, this is simple. send his money back. for the few dollars, you have ruined your reputation and will not be able to sell anything to anyone who looks up your feedback. SEND HIS MONEY BACK!
73 paul w8jn
WN8BOB

N1TNQ GEORGE VIA WN8BOB

Post by WN8BOB »

This transaction took place back in January...WN8BOB
w0bkr

Do the Right Thing...

Post by w0bkr »

George

I had at one time in long past sold a transceiver to an individual and I thought it has the IF-10C option installed. I was wrong. I should have taken the time to verify all the options that I had listed as being in the radio. The Buyer didn't mind, but I purchased a new one from AES and had it sent to the Buyer because it was the "right thing to do".

In this situation, not knowing the real issues or details, appears to me that you may have had (as Tony stated earlier) not really checked the radio and posted it for sale without fully knowing its real condition/configuration.

To do the right thing, you should take it back and refund the money. It is a valuable lesson learned to thoroughly check before posting it for sale in the future.

Up to you.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

George i have to agree with the others and i'm puzzled to your response and that is YOU mention damaged switch and yet there was no mention of a damaged switch. Makes me suspicious but like another said you've soiled your reputation by not refunding the buyer.......
Larry Huff K0pd
WN8BOB

N1TNQ VIA WN8BOB

Post by WN8BOB »

This is a DEAD issue!! I waited some time and good old george never made the proper move,I had a tech freind fix up the rig best they could and then sold it in its TRUE condition,I realized there was never going to be a refund,you can only waite so long,anyway,buyer beware,its not like the "Good OLd Days" I took a big hit on that one...WN8BOB