CB Lingo (Arrggghhhh!!!)

This is the place to discuss the QTH.com Classifieds (http://swap.qth.com). Please be constructive.
w7apm

CB Lingo (Arrggghhhh!!!)

Post by w7apm »

New listing today for a homebrew 4"Pill" amplifier. Please this is a Ham Radio Site not a CB radio site. Are some so ignorant they don't know what a transistor is?
n5wrx

Re: CB Lingo (Arrggghhhh!!!)

Post by n5wrx »

w7apm wrote:New listing today for a homebrew 4"Pill" amplifier. Please this is a Ham Radio Site not a CB radio site. Are some so ignorant they don't know what a transistor is?
Yeah, and we dont 'brew' equipment we 'construct' it.
And what is with this 'HAM' radio thing .... do we raise swine?
Enough with the 'SLANG' .... QSL OLD MAN? 73
K4ICL

Respect the differences...

Post by K4ICL »

Terms and acronyms such as "home brew", "lid", "old man" (OM), XYL, etc. are part of our "ham" amateur ratio culture, worldwide. Other terms such as "Pill", "Roger Beep", "base" (station) etc. are a part of another separate and distinct culture.

There is nothing wrong with being part of either or both; but we should respect the differences.

To argue otherwise is similar to barking at the moon.

K4ICL
KD8HMO

Post by KD8HMO »

As long as we are talking about annoying slang, how about the lids that have to say QSL or QSL? after every sentence? Especially annoying on 2m FM... LOL
NoCodeHams.net
Founder
www.nocodehams.net
WD4GPO

CB Slang

Post by WD4GPO »

Yes, all hobbies have their respective nomenclature. But I hear so many Citizen Band phrases repeated OVER AND OVER in the Ham Phone bands it drives me to distraction and I choose to turn off the radio. My most recent irritation is after EACH turn over of the conversation, they say "I head that, I did , I did" . I understand these folks got their exposure to Radio from CB. I know they did not have an ELMER to teach them the accepted methods. But why do they refuse to learn? Yeah, it is their hobby too, I understand that. But Learn the Language. For now they are just CBers using Ham privileges. Some have their Extra and absolutely NO IDEA of what they are doing. Dang!
Thank you for listening
ddurgin

cb lingo

Post by ddurgin »

I'm just waiting to hear "breaker, breaker 19, when 10 meters opens up again !
I would like to think that if you lived in Spain, then you better speak Spanish... When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Otherwise, you might find yourself in the Gladiator arena !!!
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

All this over not using proper terms. I know of Ham's who were never ever CB'ers use the term pill. And like another said about the qsl after every sentence,well that irritates me also but i'm not going to insult or embarass some one over it. There then is more important thing's to me at least to be concerned over and if this is what HAM radio becomes then i think i'll spend more time with my Telescopes and sell or box up my HAM radio's. I would rather talk with a HAM that is friendly and just want's a good old qso than listen to nit pickers.
Larry Huff K0pd
K4ICL

Not to nit pick...

Post by K4ICL »

but isn't a "good ol' qso" normally called "a "good rag chew"?

Lighten up--all of this is here for our entertainment.

We are all in this together.

None of us will get out of this alive.

Cheers...

AL
gtr86

really?

Post by gtr86 »

What is the problem?

So many people cry about silly things, how about push 1 for English, push 2 for Spanish, that there is a epidemic that everyone should be worrying about people learning the correct way to talk, at least on the radio they are using English and you can understand them. Radio is changing everyday slightly with CB slang, but at least when you key up your Icom it does not say push 1 or push 2 yet......
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Post Deleted
Last edited by wx1f on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K4JC

Post by K4JC »

OK, since I don't know the CB lingo that well, I have to ask: what is a Pill amplifier?
sparkchaser

Post by sparkchaser »

I agree with gtr86, whoever that is,........
What a bunch of whiners. Some of you need to get a life.

My number one *itch in life is pushing one for english, and businesses thinking I have nothing else to do but wait on hold!!
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Post Deleted
Last edited by wx1f on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n5wrx

Post by n5wrx »

k4jc wrote:OK, since I don't know the CB lingo that well, I have to ask: what is a Pill amplifier?

Much like tubes used to be called bottles cause they looked like a bottle and rf transformers are called cans csuse they look that way, the transistor finals in solid state amps that look like a white pill and are sometimes referred to as a pill.
If you are looking for a 4 pill amp that means a four final amp.
Each pill is about 100 to 125 watts (PEP) of output power.
w7ry

But I only have 2 transistors?

Post by w7ry »

n5wrx wrote:
k4jc wrote:OK, since I don't know the CB lingo that well, I have to ask: what is a Pill amplifier?

Much like tubes used to be called bottles cause they looked like a bottle and rf transformers are called cans csuse they look that way, the transistor finals in solid state amps that look like a white pill and are sometimes referred to as a pill.
If you are looking for a 4 pill amp that means a four final amp.
Each pill is about 100 to 125 watts (PEP) of output power.

But my amplifier only has two FETs. And it has 1000 watts output. Is this still a pill? Sounds like an awfully big PILL if so.

I agree Marty. WAAAAAYYY to much CB slang on the amateur bands. Let's not get started on "my first personal is"

73 (please notice that 73 is always singular)
N4XTS

Post by N4XTS »

I cannot stand CB lingo on the ham bands. One of the reasons I find myself less and less on two meters.

Examples of CB liddom:

-Use of the term "roger roger"- who the heck is this dude anyway?
-"My handle is". Suitcases have handles. People have NAMES
-ID'ing after every transmission and then saying "This xx4xxx FOR ID"
Why else do you give your call sign?
-Eating the mike. This is FM. The wider your signal, the more bandwidth you occupy. We are not on SSB or AM where you are trying to talk over noise. you don't get "extra pounds" for sounding like a mouth breather. Get the mike out of your mouth and talk ACROSS it not INTO it.

and my favorite (when talking on a repeater):

"you're coming in 5 by 9. I've got you full scale on my rig"

well of course the REPEATER signal should (usually be) "full scale".

god I love D-Star....
Amateur radio gets right through.
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

3.892 ???
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

None worse than hearing seasoned hams saying, (hi hi), on the ssb portion of the band. Nothing sounds more nerdy than that. Of course that is only my opinion.
KI6YFQ

Re: CB Lingo (Arrggghhhh!!!)

Post by KI6YFQ »

w7apm wrote:New listing today for a homebrew 4"Pill" amplifier. Please this is a Ham Radio Site not a CB radio site. Are some so ignorant they don't know what a transistor is?
Gee that's is strange. All these objects to someone using the term "pill" for an amp. Seems that term was included in my general class license exam more then once.

So who says it is some "made up term only a CBer would use".... ONLY an ignorant person who hasn't taken an exam lately and has NO idea where technology is going would be so stupid and rude. Our job is to PROMOTE ham radio and its uses. To educate and to HELP others who would like to become hams. "HAMS HELPING HAMS". That is what the founder were striving for. Have we lost sight of that goal?

Lets show a little professionalism here! Not who can be the biggest a-- h---!
Russ
KI6YFQ
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

lhuffk0pd wrote:All this over not using proper terms. I know of Ham's who were never ever CB'ers use the term pill. And like another said about the qsl after every sentence,well that irritates me also but i'm not going to insult or embarass some one over it. There then is more important thing's to me at least to be concerned over and if this is what HAM radio becomes then i think i'll spend more time with my Telescopes and sell or box up my HAM radio's. I would rather talk with a HAM that is friendly and just want's a good old qso than listen to nit pickers.
X2
YEP! That's a big 10-4 .
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Plus the fact is that MOST CB'rs can spell , unlike most hams whow kan't even git Tunner rite...

Most of us grew up in the CB world , get over it...

Cheers
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
KC9QFC

CB - HAM LINGO..

Post by KC9QFC »

I think to many people are taking it all to seriously. Doesnt any body remember the rules? Give your call sign every 10 minutes. Do not use improper language. Stay in the band plan, and a few other simple basic rules. Funny how there are so many uptight hamers out there that only want things said a certan way. Maybe some of us got into this to just be ourselves and enjoy good conversations with people of similar interests. I have scanned the channels and herd people talking about things, or in a way, i had no interest, and im not here or there to critisize, the way they talk, the way they spell, or what they talk about. Obvousily there are some real control freeks out there that definatly would not fit in my disfunctional family, and thats ok! I dont care. But we sure laugh and have a good time. This is a hobby to enjoy, it aint brain surgery! If you want to teach language and edicate - go be a teacher, dont suck the fun out of a hobby!
73'zzzz
10-04 good buddy
goin 10-7 off the key.
Just relax and enjoy!!!
kc6vlg

We are better than thou....

Post by kc6vlg »

Those who think that CB'er are in the same league as us HAMs are missing the point. We as HAMs have a much richer vocabulary than those truck driving CB'er. We have : Hi Hi, Fine Business or FB, destinated, 73's or 73rd, OM and.... ah yes...QSL instead of 10-4 to name a few. So as you can see...wezz yes...wezz are much better than them. We are much more sophisticated.

I actually heard this on 27.385 LSB one afternoon when there was an opening: "cq, cq, cq.... this is operator Bill and I'm on top of the hill with my 3 pills......." I though to myself how colorful our inferior cousins are with there measly 5 watts radios. I bet you they don't get a "9 pounds" signal report every time like we do with our 59's on all stations during a contest........ Just my humble observation. QSL?

73rd from af6bj
kg8lb

Post by kg8lb »

Sounds a lot like many ex-CBers are getting sentimental and yearning to get back to their roots. Perhaps ham radio has been a disappointment ?
I for one, heartily encourage them to return to those roots. They have done much to make ham radio disappointing for others. Then again they have also given many others all the more reason to stay on CW to avoid the CB refugees on the no-code phone bands. The lingo on CW is actually quite colorful but they will likely never know . No matter, it seems they are content to simply continue nicotine coating their D-104 on either service .

I sure hope hams spell at least as well as the best CB operator . In addition I would wager they punctuate the end of a sentence with a single,appropriate punctuation mark.
w4sef

Post by w4sef »

AMEN!!! And other good one is....Let me turn my antenna towards you when the moron is using a repeater!!! ARGGGG.....By the way, just what does PILL mean anyway?

73s Steve W4SEF
Ham for 48 years....not sure how much longer tho.........................

quote="N4XTS"]I cannot stand CB lingo on the ham bands. One of the reasons I find myself less and less on two meters.

Examples of CB liddom:

-Use of the term "roger roger"- who the heck is this dude anyway?
-"My handle is". Suitcases have handles. People have NAMES
-ID'ing after every transmission and then saying "This xx4xxx FOR ID"
Why else do you give your call sign?
-Eating the mike. This is FM. The wider your signal, the more bandwidth you occupy. We are not on SSB or AM where you are trying to talk over noise. you don't get "extra pounds" for sounding like a mouth breather. Get the mike out of your mouth and talk ACROSS it not INTO it.

and my favorite (when talking on a repeater):

"you're coming in 5 by 9. I've got you full scale on my rig"

well of course the REPEATER signal should (usually be) "full scale".

god I love D-Star....[/quote]